Supreme Court upholds legislative prayer in Town of Greece v. Galloway

Advocate

Reply Sat 10 May, 2014 02:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The SC ruling sets a precedent for, I think, proceedings beyond the town council. I imagine that the precedent could be cited for prayers at federal hearings.

The court tells us that no one will be injured by the prayers. But consider the atheist who asks to leave the room during the prayer due to his abhorrence. He should not be put in that position, which could be detrimental to him.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 04:52 am
Apparently, some people just don't get that introducing Christianity into public proceedings is not just about offended atheists. It's offensive to Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Jains, Buddhists and any number of other people who don't subscribe to that particular set of fairy tales. They still pay the taxes that pay these clowns.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 11 May, 2014 08:51 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Well apparently 5 justices don't agree with you and like it or not they have more say than you.

Saying a prayer at the beginning of a governmental session is not supporting the establishment of a state religion.

An invocation at the start of a government session is not an indication of whether or not the representatives represent atheists. If government officials who subscribe to a given faith are unable to represent an atheist, keeping them from saying a prayer isn't going to change that fact.

Do atheists get their noses out of joint when someone says God Bless you after they sneeze? Sad to say, but I'm sure some do, particularly the ones who go apoplectic about "One Nation Under God" and Easter Egg Hunts.

A great many atheists seem to find a belief in God to be childish, and laugh at those who think that the favors of "an imaginary being" can be courted by a memo jumbo prayer. Suddenly the same practice can strip them of all rights?

I'm for religious freedom, and freedom from religion, but an opening prayer at a town counsel meeting just doesn't cross any serious line that I perceive.

I've disagreed with a number of SC rulings, but that counts for about as much as your disagreement with this one, and to me this one has very little actual impact at all.

The question isn't whether or not I have as much power as a Supreme Court justice. The question is whether the decision was correct. It wasn't. The government is not allowed to sponsor religion or religious activities.
0 Replies