Chili sauce to dry powder

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 12:20 pm
Hi guys!

I make a homemade chili spice/powder. Currently, I make my powder by placing a thin layer of chili sauce on a silicon sheet that is then dried in an oven. After I remove the dried sauce, it is then placed in a blender and pulverized. Although it works, it is very time consuming and doesn't scale easily. I've also tried a dehydrator but it inconsistently cooks in the various levels and is extremely difficult to remove the dried sauce. I've done extensive research but haven't come across anything particularly helpful.

Any ideas on equipment or process that might help speed things up would be greatly appreciated? Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,376 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 01:20 pm
@mixiebug,
You are using a chili sauce you purchased to create a powdered chili sauce? If so, why? Why not just use it in sauce form?

If it is a chili sauce you make from scratch, you might use your silicon sheet idea, but do it in a microwave oven. Do it a few minutes at a time to avoid burning it.

I have to ask though, why not just make a blend of dehydrated chili peppers and spices to create your chili powder?

Buy a variety of dried chili peppers, or fresh ones and dry them in the oven until crisp. Here is a recipe that details the technique for both methods. http://www.pickyourown.org/chilipowder.php.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 May, 2014 02:37 pm
@Butrflynet,
I agree. Me, I use one type of dried chile, dried Anchos, for example, since I'm learning the tastes of many kinds of chiles.
0 Replies