A Visit from the Spirit Realm

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 05:34 pm
ILZ writes:
Quote:
I know. The fact that there is absolutely no evidence supporting such claims and a veritable mountain of evidence disputing it is what makes believing in such things retarded.

I also live a couple of hours from an installation of 27 enormous radio telescopes called the VLA (Very Large Array) that continuously travel on railroad tracks for 22 miles through a small remote valley. Since 1981, they have been listening for any voice or signal from another civilization in our galaxy or beyond. The number of their successes to date? Zero.

Ditto for other radio telescope sites in California and West Virginia.

Now listening and failing to hear anything for 20+ years might suggest there's nothing out there. No probes into space or to other planets have thus far discovered any other forms of life. In fact, a veritable 'mountain of evidence' could be said to support the fact that no life exists apart from Planet Earth. Yet those scientists who continue to listen and search and hope believe probability is on their side.

As there is far more testimony witnessing to the existence of a spirit world and/or a soul, and much less witnessing to the existence of extra terrestrials, I believe probability is even more on the side of the existence of a spirit dimension and it is probably less retarded to believe in a soul than it is to believe in an E.T.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 07:00 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
. . . it has some really glaring leaps of pure faith and is, on the whole, just a baseless cum hoc ergo propter hoc argument.

I was following that right up to the part where you told me to cum hock my go propter.

Actually, I heard that argument, or something like it, from someone in a semi-drunken bar conversation a couple weeks ago, after I mentioned that I thought the near-death experiences where the person always sees the bright, beckoning, light was probably just something we create in our own mind. Now that you mention it, at the time he said it, I do remember thinking, "Now isn't that a baseless cum hoc ergo propter hoc argument?". Smile

I am going to have to re-read your response after the game. I got parts of it, but not all of it. Appreciate the analysis though. Basketball calls!
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 07:13 pm
Piffka wrote:
IronLionZion wrote:
First of all, the burden of proof lies on the people who claim such things exist, not on the scientists (read: rational people) who claim they do not. You're asking scientists to prove a negative.

I regret that I answered Kicky's question in a way that makes you think I'm trying to prove anything. I am not interested in proving anything. As the song goes... I know what I know.

All I offered was a small and strange anecdotal truth. Because I report this, you feel compelled to claim I must be a liar, irrational, delusional and/or retarded?

I am surprised.

<raises eyebrows> Where is your scientific curiosity?

My mother, btw, was a field entomologist whose career was cut short by WWII and later raising a large family.

Oh, my comments were not directed at you, Piffka. I don't think that you are a liar or a retard. It is people who relate anecdotes like yours, and then submit them as proof of a magical omnipotent man floating on a cloud that irk me.

Quote:
I think to assume that we simply live and die is as dualistic as religion, and given that it is clear the universe continues on without us is ample enough speculative evidence to suggest that something exists beyond our physical being, even if we do not understand it yet.

It is? Why?

Quote:
....I'm not trying to prove or disprove anything here either, and I really just thought that this was an interesting topic, but since people want to argue about it....

Sorry for ruining your thread, homie.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 07:14 pm
I'd ask a ouija board, but the things make me uneasy. Make me think of greaszszsy people.

Spirits, religion, voodoo, power vortexes - they're all of a piece to me. I don't believe in them. Kind of wish I did, but logic plays too large a role in my life for me to believe in that sort of thing.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 08:21 pm
IronLionZion wrote:

Sorry for ruining your thread, homie.

Not ruined, just different. No need to apologize.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 08:54 pm
But I reserve the right to keep to the thread's original intent.

Think of this as a little fantasy indulgence. That's all it is to me. I don't believe what the "psychic" that read my palm on Ninth Avenue told me either, but it was just for fun.

Come on, ILZ, just indulge yourself for a minute. IF there were a spiritual world, and IF we all had souls, what would it be like? Would we just turn into some unearthly being and float around for infinity? Would it be peaceful? Would there still be ketchup?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:50 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I'd ask a ouija board, but the things make me uneasy. Make me think of greaszszsy people.

Spirits, religion, voodoo, power vortexes - they're all of a piece to me. I don't believe in them. Kind of wish I did, but logic plays too large a role in my life for me to believe in that sort of thing.

Greaszszsy people? Are you referring to gypsies? That sounds so much like a racial slur, I can hardly believe you mean it.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 11:28 am
Kicky writes:
Quote:
Think of this as a little fantasy indulgence. That's all it is to me. I don't believe what the "psychic" that read my palm on Ninth Avenue told me either, but it was just for fun.

I bow to the wishes of the thread-starter Smile but wish he would allow the discussion of the possibility/probability/fact of a spirit world to continue as it is interesting.

As one who believes in a spirit world, I can still dabble in fantasy indulgence as well. May I be the first to suggest that heaven will in no way involve fluffy pink clouds or little harps? It is my fantasy that heaven will include fine wine, good books, horses, great sex, and key lime pie that won't add unwanted pounds to all the great bodies that will be there.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 11:39 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Kicky writes:
Quote:

I bow to the wishes of the thread-starter Smile but wish he would allow the discussion of the possibility/probability/fact of a spirit world to continue as it is interesting.

As one who believes in a spirit world, I can still dabble in fantasy indulgence as well. May I be the first to suggest that heaven will in no way involve fluffy pink clouds or little harps? It is my fantasy that heaven will include fine wine, good books, horses, great sex, and key lime pie that won't add unwanted pounds to all the great bodies that will be there.

And don't forget, ketchup. Lots and lots of ketchup. Smile

I am not (actually I couldn't, even if I wanted to, could I?) disallowing any discussion. I just wanted some anecdotal things in here too.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 06:45 pm
mr. kicky,

having had similiar experiences in my sleeping life, i know how dreams have provided a kind of insulation and comfort against all the confusion and the fear that crowd my waking life; they've made reality bearable, when all the arrows were pointing toward unbearable.

when we are lucky enough to have vivid and symbolic dreams, those wonderful and unexpected visitations, we can only hope that those we choose to share them with will reflect back the kind of awe, appreciation and respect for what is unknown...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 01:42 pm
This thread reminded me of something I've always wanted to explore: the discrepancy between the ratio of women who believe in the spiritual and supernatural and the ratio of men who do.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 01:45 pm
How can you tell Craven? Only the head of your bunny shows. Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 01:49 pm
Many surveys and studies have confirmed what I see in my own life. Women are more likely to believe in the supernatural than are men.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 01:49 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
How can you tell Craven? Only the head of your bunny shows. Smile

Heh heh.... Laughing It is most likely that more women subscribe to a theory of a spirit world. It's almost a given really, given that evolution has granted our females with a gift of gab, and intuition. Whether or not more women subscribe to this theory than men is irrelevant to the question at hand, however.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 02:50 pm
craven, what about the big fella's, like Jung, and Joseph Campbell? I kow that' only 2 men, but what they say is pretty powerful.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 02:57 pm
Gala wrote:
mr. kicky,

having had similiar experiences in my sleeping life, i know how dreams have provided a kind of insulation and comfort against all the confusion and the fear that crowd my waking life; they've made reality bearable, when all the arrows were pointing toward unbearable.

when we are lucky enough to have vivid and symbolic dreams, those wonderful and unexpected visitations, we can only hope that those we choose to share them with will reflect back the kind of awe, appreciation and respect for what is unknown...

I agree and that is such a kind thing to say, Gala. Dreams can be an amazing source of comfort.

Unfortunately, they can also be a source of discomfort. <smiles> I know... I had a bad volleyball-playing dream last night where my feet wouldn't move and, of course, I don't get to the ball. Very upsetting. I even tried to look at my hands (ala Algis.K's recommendation) but my feet still wouldn't work. I sat bolt upright and decided it was time to wake up. <sigh>
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 03:06 pm
piffka, true, true, but i was speaking in the context of the nature of kicky's dream, which i may have assumed incorrectly, was a comforting dream.

i've has some real kicker (kickcan) nasty dreams too, but i figure they are all part of an attempt at my unconscious trying to untangle the jumble. funny, caue when i have the really bad dreams, i am so happy to return to the order of my daily life.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 03:45 pm
I believe he did say that it was a comforting dream.

I didn't mean to switch focus to bad dreams. Wink I was just amused that in my dream I remembered to try to focus on my hands but it didn't help me play better. As you say, I am sure my ineptitude at volley-ball was a dream-metaphor for personal frustrations and I was quite happy to wake and get away from it.

Dreams are so compelling, especially in the first day or two after. For me though, they are difficult to remember over time. I know I have had dreams of both my dead parents that were "good visits," but while I recall them in a generally positive light, I can't recall any details.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 06:46 pm
IronLionZion wrote:
Peace and Love wrote:
Retarded?? That's something that happens to yeast when it's exposed to too-high or too-low temperatures.... a hassle when baking bread....

heh

Was that a smile?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 06:50 pm
Hmmm - I generally work out bad stuff in mine. As when someone (including animals) dies, they will keep appearing in my dreams - but with a catch - I have to do something in order to keep them alive, such as make a telephone call, and I can't, because my fingers fumble too much etc. Very wearing.

We have trouble moving in dreams, so I understand, because our bodies are relatively immoveable during sleep - some chemical or other retards leg movement etc...
0 Replies