Classic Private Investigator Noir Movie Scene Monologue Cliche

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 12:37 pm
There is a scene that has been parodied time and again where the PI is sitting in his office, feet on the desk, his internal monologue going as he smokes in the dim slits of light protruding through venetian shades. The femme fatale then walks into his office, and he takes a moment to describe her as she too lights up a cigarette. Where does this scene come from? What was the original movie that created what has become a cliché for parodies that have come after?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 4,507 • Replies: 10
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 01:23 pm
@jddaniel,
That might be To Have and Have Not or The Maltese Falcon. All of them seem to have that kind of a scene.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 01:59 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

That might be To Have and Have Not or The Maltese Falcon. All of them seem to have that kind of a scene.

Yeah. The Maltese Falcon would get my vote. But that's mostly because I love that flick.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 02:09 pm
@jespah,
Sorry but for the life of me I can't recall seeing a detective scene in 'To Have and Have Not'. I do believe it is considered Film Noir, however. I can't recall a PI ... or am I out-to-lunch? There's a tense police scene where Harry Morgan is being queried.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 02:10 pm
Sounds like Sam Spade, but which film?
Ragman

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 02:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
The most prominent movie hit I can think of featuring Sam Spade was 'The Maltese Falcon''
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 02:25 pm
No internal monologues or voice-overs in either The Maltese Falcon or in The Big Sleep (that's what you're probably thinking of rather than To Have and Have Not, which isn't a detective film - and anyway that doesn't have any internal monologues either). That sort of narration was more suited to radio, which is probably where that trope first originated.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 02:35 pm
@Ragman,
I was probably confusing a Spade with a Hammer.

Private Investigators
Tommy and Tuppence Beresford - created by Agatha Christie
The Continental Op – created by Dashiell Hammett
Phryne Fisher - created by Kerry Greenwood
Garret and the Dead Man - created by Glen Cook
Cordelia Gray - created by P. D. James
Mike Hammer - created by Mickey Spillaine
Sherlock Holmes – created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Thomas Magnum - created for Magnum P. I. TV series (1980-1988)
Joe Mannix - created by Richard Levinson and William Link for Mannix TV series (1967–1975)
Philip Marlowe - created by Raymond Chandler
Adrian Monk – created by Andy Breckman for Monk (TV series) (2002–2009)
Hercule Poirot – created by Agatha Christie
Jim Rockford ­­– created by Roy Huggins and Stephen J. Cannell for The Rockford Files TV series (1974–80)
Sam Spade – created by Dashiell Hammett
Shawn Spencer – created by Steve Franks for Psych (TV series) (2006- )
Spenser - created by Robert B. Parker
Nero Wolfe - created by Rex Stout
Ragman

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 02:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
'The Thin Man' (1934) detective series by Dashiell Hammett -
starring fictional characters Nick and Nora Charles (actors William Powell and Myrna Loy)
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 03:57 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

'The Thin Man' (1934) detective series by Dashiell Hammett -
starring fictional characters Nick and Nora Charles (actors William Powell and Myrna Loy)

They tended not to be so "noir"...and had more sunlight and happiness than those other "hard ass" films.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2014 10:03 pm
@jddaniel,
I'm pretty sure that this cliche is actually a mashup rather than a direct echo of something that was ever done.

I think it's a wishful cross interpretation of Raymond Chandler novels like 'The Big Sleep' which featured the protagonist's internal monologues, and the movies made of them, which didn't.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PrivateEyeMonologue
0 Replies