How Many Iconic ’80s Films Have You Seen?

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 01:02 pm
@farmerman,
They have some really schmucky movies on that list and yet they miss some others like;
SPACEBALLS or
HISTORY OF THE WORLD PART 1

whats Mel Brooks Chopped Livah?
Ragman

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 01:06 pm
@farmerman,
Mel's 'The Producers' I never saw on the list.

{Edit: Yikes! That movie was made in 1967. Where have I been?}
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 01:41 pm
@farmerman,
I saw The Naked Gun in a double bill with A Fish Called Wanda. Unfortunately they showed The Naked Gun first, and A Fish Called Wanda seemed really slow after that. It's ironic because I was really going to see Wanda, and The Naked Gun was just an add on, but that's the film I was telling everyone about next day.
farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 02:29 pm
@izzythepush,
leslie Nielsen was almost the WC Fields of the 80's. A complete clueless but self assured idiot.

I awlays loved those sight gags they incorporated into the Naked Gun movies. It was like reading Mad Magazine
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 02:42 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

leslie Nielsen was almost the WC Fields of the 80's. A complete clueless but self assured idiot.

I awlays loved those sight gags they incorporated into the Naked Gun movies. It was like reading Mad Magazine

There have been a couple of actors who did parodies of themselves as they got older. Cary Grant comes to mind...and lately, Justin Timberlake has been doing a great job of spoofing the rock star.

Nielsen was incredible.

Any others you can think of?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 02:48 pm
@farmerman,
Nielsen was the star of a TV series called "Police Squad> which were the basis for the Naked Gun movies. Police squad was cancelled like 4 shows into the season for the following reason:
Quote:
ABC entertainment president Tony Thomopoulos said "Police Squad! was cancelled because the viewer had to watch it in order to appreciate it." What Thomopoulos meant was that the viewer had to actually pay close attention to the show in order to get much of the humor, while most other TV shows did not demand as much effort from the viewer. In its annual "Cheers and Jeers" issue, TV Guide magazine called the explanation for the cancellation "the most stupid reason a network ever gave for ending a series."

Before the naked Gun movies were made, Nielsen ent to UK to make some commercials for some drink with a name like Red Rock Cider
Quote:
"Red Rock Cider is not red , nor are there any rocks in it"
Apparently these commercials were quite successful but weve never seen them here in the US or could I find them in any product list. Ill keep looking (Mybe Ill send A PM to Butterflynet , she is a whiz a digging up obscure web stuff)
farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 03:01 pm
@farmerman,
HA, found one all by Himself he did;

izzythepush

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2014 03:31 pm
@farmerman,
I remember those.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 09:03 am
@tsarstepan,
I saw 80

glitterbag

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 09:31 am
@dlowan,
I saw 102 out of 170, some mad me smile, some I regret spending the time. There may have been a few I saw but didn't check......I was hard to remember all the turkeys released during the 80's especially since there were some that were soooooo good.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 07:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
The only non-English language flick on the list is The Neverending Story.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 07:46 pm
@fbaezer,
Not to mention Shoah.

er.. re important films of the time.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 10:22 pm
Babette's Feast was made in 1987. It's a Danish film with English subtitles. I didn't see it when it was released, but I caught in an artsy fartsy movie house around 2003. It won some awards, but I didn't google the film. I think it's very well done and holds your attention. Don't mean that to be faint praise, I really liked it.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 10:49 pm
@glitterbag,
I won't knock it but I don't need to see it twice.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Sun 18 May, 2014 07:01 am
seen 153 of them, def allot of classics missing
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 18 May, 2014 12:44 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

HA, found one all by Himself he did;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAWIArDgSZM[/youtube]

Somehow I missed this when I joined in, classic Neilson. Glad I went back to check, thanks FM
0 Replies