How To Uninstall Tor?

Pitter

Sun 20 Apr, 2014 09:12 am
I installed Tor a while back but have decided I don't really need it. I would like to uninstall it but it doesn't appear in the list of programs when I go to Control Panel: Uninstall Program. How do I find it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 204,093 • Replies: 5
Topic Closed
No top replies

panzade

Sun 20 Apr, 2014 09:48 am
@Pitter,
Tor Browser does not install itself in the classic sense of applications. You just simply delete the folder or directory named "Tor Browser" and it is removed from your system.

If this is not related to Tor Browser, uninstallation depends entirely on how you installed it and which operating system you have. If you installed a package, then hopefully your package has a way to uninstall itself. The Windows packages include uninstallers.

For Mac OS X, follow the uninstall directions.

If you installed by source, I'm afraid there is no easy uninstall method. But on the bright side, by default it only installs into /usr/local/ and it should be pretty easy to notice things there.
https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#HowUninstallTor

Hola che. Como anda?
0 Replies

contrex

Sun 20 Apr, 2014 02:50 pm
Why bother uninstalling it? My Tor setup takes up 110 MB on a 500 GB disk.
Pitter

Sun 20 Apr, 2014 07:48 pm
@contrex,
Thank you for the replies. Very helpful.
0 Replies

James27

Fri 18 Jul, 2014 05:43 am
@Pitter,
* Click the Start button, then select Control Panel, and click on Uninstall a program.
* When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and uninstall TOR Browser Bundle Internet Explorer Toolbar, TOR Browser Bundle Firefox Toolbar, and any other recently installed or unknown programs from your computer.
* Free Download and Run the virus removal tool: YAC Virus Removal Tool.
* Click the "Scan" button.
* Waiting for one minute, YAC can help you remove "TOR Browser Bundle" easily.
0 Replies

winbuntu0

Sun 9 Jul, 2017 08:09 pm
@Pitter,
I found out myself how to do it for Windows 10.

1. Delete the folder with the tor files, aswell as the desktop shortcut, and make sure to check your recycling bin to completely erase it.
2. Go to "all apps" on the start menu and left click on "Start Tor Browser"
3. When the menu pops up saying the application wont work, and it asks if you want to delete the shortcut, press ok.

Now there is no evidence it was installed if the average pc user tried to find out.
0 Replies