Parents jailed for negligence

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 08:03 pm
http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/05/02/cancer.crime.ap/index.html

This is the story in a nutshell:

A 17 year old girl develops a bump on her chest that goes untreated. One night she develops a series of symptoms and her heart stops beating. She's revived but cannot walk or talk. It is determined the bump was actually Hodgkin's disease. The parents are jailed for negligence because they left their child's cancer go untreated. They are given 10 year sentences.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 937 • Replies: 7
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 08:31 pm
It seems like it's one of those things that depends on how you phrase it. Not enough info in the article you posted.

There were apparently several symptoms -- not only the bump (which must've been there quite a while, and which they knew about) but losing weight and losing control of her bowels. I could believe that they were criminally negligent, yes.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 09:03 pm
The judge granted Bill Conroy, 57, a week to say goodbye to his daughter before beginning his prison term.

What the heck is the matter with that goofy judge. The father watched as his daughter's disease progressed and did nothing medically to help her. He needed a week to say goodbye to her? Rolling Eyes

Where were other family members? How about school? Something here just doesn't add up. There has to be more to this story.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 05:14 am
These parents may or may not have been negligent, but lets get to the nitty gritty of the matter, if dad was a street sweeper and mom was a cleaner in an office building, what exactly are they supposed to do, take a medical degree before becoming cleaners just in case they ever need it?

This case smacks of the corrupt british legal system where "ignorance is no defence" So what should we all do take a law degree before becoming carpenters and plumbers?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 05:25 am
I agree with doglover and sozobe. There HAS to be more to this story. She obviously did not decline in a few weeeks. People would have had to see that this kid was in trouble.

I would need to know more about this before I could offer an opinion!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 05:29 am
There IS a lot more to this story:

http://news.tbo.com/news/MGAYLF64PTD.html

Quote:
Such was the end to a perplexing case in which a mother and father let their 17-year-old daughter lay on a dirty couch in a diaper surrounded by filth as cancer consumed her body.

Quote:
Psychologist Michael Gamache said Muriel Conroy turned her home into a messy nest because she wanted to insulate herself from the world. He said she feared the government would take away Mari and the twins, citing, among other cases, the way federal authorities took Elian Gonzalez from relatives in Miami so he could return to Cuba to live with his father. She was also mistrustful of doctors and schools and kept her children away from both, Gamache said.

I wonder if the parents would have been better off with mental health treatment than jail!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 06:06 am
The parents are obviously not competent. It depends how the line is drawn between mental deficiency and criminal conduct, looks like.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 06:47 am
Re: Parents jailed for negligence
CerealKiller wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/05/02/cancer.crime.ap/index.html

This is the story in a nutshell:

A 17 year old girl develops a bump on her chest that goes untreated. One night she develops a series of symptoms and her heart stops beating. She's revived but cannot walk or talk. It is determined the bump was actually Hodgkin's disease. The parents are jailed for negligence because they left their child's cancer go untreated. They are given 10 year sentences.

What do you think?

How were the parents to know that the girl had a lump on her chest?

Did the girl, herself, even know she had a lump on her chest?

I don't agree with the position of the Court in this matter.
0 Replies