Wow! Free Courses On The Internet!

jjorge

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 08:41 am
Today's Refdesk link of the day is a beauty. I wanted to share it with my A2k friends. I checked out the site and it seems to be all that it says it is. Over a hundred courses are offered. Check it out.

BTW any of you who are unfamiliar with Refdesk might want to check IT out too. It's
also free (and non-profit I believe).
peace, jjorge

here's the link:
http://www.free-ed.net/

and here's Refdesk:
http://www.refdesk.com
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,390 • Replies: 18
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 08:45 am
Ah, I need to check this later. After bfast. :-D

Hiya jjorge!
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 08:54 am
They've got an extensive list of courses! I just quickly looked over one of their IT couses & it looks damn good, at least for a free site. If only you could get certification through their site...

This site kicks ass jjorge! Thanks.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 11:10 am
Well, I looked through the list of courses and through some of them (e.g., accounting). It is quite OK for improvement of erudition in different fields, but it is impossible to gain knowledge for starting the second career. No certification is available, and courses give only basic level of knowledge in their respective areas. It may be nice as a reference source, but not as a way to improve educational level. It is a pity. I would like to learn more about accounting without investing money in the process.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 11:38 pm
Hi Jes!

Monger
I guess that means you like the site eh? Very Happy

Steissd

With all due respect, it sounds like you're complaining about a free lunch because it's not a life-time meal ticket.
The glass is half-FULL man!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 03:40 am
jjorge
those sites are awsome!!!!!! I bookmarked them both. Thanks so much ((((Hug)))) :-D
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 10:40 am
Glad you liked 'em Gezzy.

Gosh, that's a nice hug! Embarrassed Very Happy
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 06:47 am
jjorge:

Do you know anything about the free courses to be or are offered by MIT online? Idea
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 10:33 pm
New Haven

I heard about a year ago that MIT had decided to post all of it's courses complete with syllabi, reading lists etc.

However they were not exactly on-line courses because, as I remember it, there was no interactive component...ie. no feedback, no grading etc.

So they were planning to offer to the general public the tools for self teaching.

I presume they went forward with it but I have never visited the web site and don't know the web address. If you find it maybe you can post it here.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 11:27 am
Check out today's Wall Street Journal. Harvard will be offering an MS online in Public Health. Cost about $26,000/year. Brown University will be starting an MD online in the very near future. Razz
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 05:54 pm
Obtaining an MD on the net Shocked how will that enhance the beside, not, manners of most physicians. Confused
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 02:30 pm
There's an off shore Medical School that offers, right now, the first 2 years of med school on line. Cost is very expensive. Then the students go to the American clinics for 2 years.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 01:02 pm
You certainly are the sweetie for sharing your
little internet finds with us all, jjorge. Thanks
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 01:07 pm
Kuhl! Doctors with mail order degrees. I have a source for propeller beanies, if they're interested.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 02:17 pm
The world of online education / remote access learning or whatever you want to term it - it's a big business now! I had planned to take most of my graduate courses in Special Education through an online education program run by a state university. The accelerated program required a 5 week session at the beginning of a summer on campus. Then, you would make a trip back for one day at the end of the summer session of two parts.

Following this, the next year of classes could be obtained online. My last classes in the Masters program would have required only a two week stay on campus the following summer.

I think many folks would be amazed to find such alternative methods of getting credits in a variety of fields. I did much online searching of the Net in general when I researched these offerings. I think that more than 1/3 of public universities are making this an option to oncampus classes, at least at the graduate level.

As to the question re: MIT classes online? I went to their site a year or so ago and actually looked in on three of their initial classes. As far as I know, they are proceding as planned, although it will be years before most eligible courses are online. In this program, the free classes are wonderful but one must be a committed and experienced student to go after the resources required for participation. This means there will be much time spent online and much use of resources in books and online. BTW, there was never any intention that one would have "certain" types of credentialling, lol, like Docs from da box on ya desk
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 03:02 pm
I had heard that degrees obtained via online colleges were being pooh-poohed by employers as not a real degree.

Since I was researching doing a degree this way, I am now wondering if I should go ahead or do I really have to attend a college with a recognizable name and spend a fortune?

Aren't the materials learned the same whether you do it by self-studying online or physically attending classes? It is so much cheaper to cut out all the social aspects and concentrating on the lesson plans this way.

What do you guys think?
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 05:28 pm
Thanks jjorge! I found a class I've been wanting to take, and now I can do it in the comfort of my own home without any expense. What could be better?

Sorry Heeven, I don't know the answer to your question about employers recognizing online degrees. I hope you find out - what you say makes a lot of sense.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 11:37 pm
chatoyant wrote:
Thanks jjorge! I found a class I've been wanting to take, and now I can do it in the comfort of my own home without any expense. What could be better?quote]

That's great chat.

I'm glad you found the site to be useful.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 06:06 am
Thanks, jjorge. I've tucked that site away among 'my favorites.'
0 Replies