CPS already had her baby & she got arrested for shoplifting ... what will happen?

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 07:03 pm
My immature sister-in-law had her child removed from her custody because of her pot habit and her boyfriend's heroin habit. It's a long story, and she's lied about so much of it, that we don't know the details, but in the end they took the baby. Even after they first came sniffing around and said he had to be removed from the house because he was feeling drug tests, she refused to get rid of him, even though he was dangerous, ... and then he was arrested for some kind of theft and evading arrest and she failed a drug test for weed (swearing she had been clean, of course) and that was the final straw ...

Since then, the baby has been placed with my mother-in-law, who lives with us. My sister-in-law came to live with us about a month ago when CPS allowed it, (you can bet we hated that, but it came with very strict rules and was done mainly for the baby and for my mother-in-law) , but she has still failed to get a job, or do anything to suggest she is even beginning to change her direction.

She did however think it was important to go out every weekend, and get a new boyfriend. Her and that new boyfriend were about to get an apartment together (after about a month of dating), when they were both arrested a few days ago for trying to shoplifts and jewelry and Walmart. From what I understand it's a class B misdemeanor offense.

My question is, how will CPS view this? She was taking classes, and I think her first case was about two or three weeks from coming to a place where she would be allowed to get her baby back.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,172 • Replies: 3
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 08:41 pm
What will happen - with what? I am not sure what you are asking.

She will be charged, then sentenced. She could do jail - or not. Who knows?

It will not affect the baby's custody.

Only if someone complains that she is a danger to the child would she have to get out of the house. Does your family want her out of the house?

She was supposed to have a hearing about re-gaining custody of the child. There is no way she is going to get custody of that child now with her record.

TexasKatt

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 09:35 pm
@PUNKEY,
I'm sorry - using Siri sometimes causes gaps in clarity. :-) I think I was just going all "stream of consciousness" in my frustration.

I guess I just want to know how CPS sees it. We don't need to get rid of her or anything, and in fact we've actually offered to adopt this poor baby if her parents don't feel like being grown ups ... I almost want this to be a moment where CPS puts the fear of losing her baby more clearly in her because she either needs to do 180 degree flip or let that baby have a life with parents willing to put the needs of their kiddos over their own whims.

Is this a major thing in terms of her getting custody back or just a little bump? My husband and I have been through foster care classes because we are planning to foster to adopt and I see crackheads getting their babies back, so it sort of feels like this might hardly even matter ... I was hoping someone with real inside knowledge like a caseworker might chance upon this and have some insight. :-)
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 08:10 am
Her illegal activity assures that she will not get custody of the child.

I am sure the child's advocate lawyer will know about mom's legal woes.

0 Replies