NT Authority System

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 05:34 pm
There are new viruses giving this message. This is a quick heads up to update your AV definitions, use a firewall and especially to run a windows update.

I'll edit this with new info later on, this probably won't be as bad as Blaster but is a similar vulnerability.

Timberlandko did a writeup where you can get help for the new Sasser worm (W32.Sasser.Worm) here: Sasser.

The older Blaster worm that gave a similar NT Authority System message is dealt with here: Blaster removal
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,572 • Replies: 4
No top replies

panzade

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 05:54 pm
I checked and the advisory stated that the Windows 98 op system isn't affected. Is that right?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 05:57 pm
Many thanks.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 06:49 pm
Took my company's network down this morning... and all the equipment attached to it... I had to resort to >gasp< Unix...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 09:54 pm
I've been quite entertained by the critter. I started a thread on it HERE.

Panzade, FYI, Win9x/ME machines don't suffer the shutdown problem, but may be infected and serve as distribution sources for further infections. There appears as well to be some indication of a "Backdoor" in SASSER which might allow opportunistic infection by some other nasty. Most of the Sasser infections I've encountered today were accompanied by NetSky and/or AgoBot-SpyBot variants ... I think there may be a connection. Any un-updated Windows machine without a firewall and antivirus up and running properly is vulnerable; that's exactly why SASSER is such a problem.
0 Replies