Who Puts Butter on the INSIDE of Their Sammiches

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 12:49 am
I swear when I was a wee lad during the 1960's this was common. I was taught that the purpose is to keep the bread from getting soggy. I was told that people used to butter both sides of the bread, but that at that point usually one only did one side, the bottom, where the mayo (or Miracle Whip) was supposed to go.

Have not done this in over 20 years, but tonight my ham and cheese has butter. It does add something I think. Course it better with all of its calories!

anonymously99

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 01:00 am
@hawkeye10,
What is wrong with you.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 01:20 am
Quote:
Pinwheel Sandwiches
Trim crusts from 5 slices white or whole wheat sandwich loaf, cut Pullman-style. (Ask bakery to cut sandwich loaf horizontally, or Pullman style.) Using rolling pin, flatten slices slightly. Spread with 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter, softened; spread with filling.

Place 1 asparagus spear (or 2 baby gherkins) along 1 short end of each. Starting at asparagus, roll up tightly without squeezing. Wrap each roll tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour. With serrated knife, trim ends; cut each roll into 6 slices. Makes 30 pieces. Pinwheel Sandwich recipe: Curried Egg Salad

Triangle Sandwiches
Spread 16 thin slices whole wheat or white sandwich bread with 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter, softened; spread filling evenly over 8 of the slices. Top with remaining slices, pressing lightly. Place on rimmed baking sheet and cover with damp tea towel; cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. Trim off crusts. Cut each sandwich into 4 pieces

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/cooking_school/how_to_make_tea_sandwiches_pinwheels_triangles_squares_and_fingers.php
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 01:22 am
@anonymously99,
anonymously99 wrote:

What is wrong with you.

too many cheap bologna and chiffon margarine sandwiches (seriously, nothing else inside) in grade school, when I was not allowed to ever get hot lunch.
anonymously99

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 01:33 am
@hawkeye10,
You're not being mentally forced to re live your past. So don't. You'll be okay.

But.

If you were mentally forced to re live your past throughout your younger years. I feel the feelings, can understand the feelings you may have encountered. And I feel sympathetic for you. Because I understand. If you have killed in your past I feel all you can do is ask for forgiveness and hope for the best. Putting your trust and faith in the Lord. Get right with the Lord. Live your life right by the Lord. He loves you as his Son who died for our sins loves you, as I and/or anyone else loves you.
Let go of old grudges. Of old times. Of misery, miserable pasts/times. Fill yourself with love. It will show. You will shine as long as you stay positive and put yourself on the right path.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 01:39 am
@anonymously99,
There are two angles here:

Does anyone anymore put butter inside their sandwich?

Things that we decided we hated with passion as kids might 20-30 (or in my case 45) years later taste kind of OK. I used to hate green olives too but now I dont, as just one other example.
anonymously99

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 01:42 am
@hawkeye10,
Stress, depression, other like feelings, emotions etc cause a person to eat. Anything. Due to what they are experiencing.

There is something bothering you.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 02:07 am
@hawkeye10,
Now that you mention it, the only sandwich I fix with butter is a toasted peanut butter sandwich. Maybe it keeps if from feeling too dry. I do not use butter on an untoasted pb sandwich, by the way.

Once in a while, I will have bread and butter on a single slice. Has to be sourdough or maybe rye bread. It just doesn't work with Wonder Bread.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 02:39 am
@roger,
Quote:
It just doesn't work with Wonder Bread.
Not much does, though this is all we had at my house. I called it "marshmallow bread" and hatted it....except for PBJ.

Slightly interesting story: 1973 finds me a bratty 11 year old, sitting down at the table for a chicken diner I say something like " you know mom we really should have some bread and butter with our chicken diner". She gets up without saying anything, gets the Wonder Bread and the Chiffon setting it in front of me still saying nothing, and starts eating. Not what I had in mind, but that was all I was going to get.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 07:41 am
When I was a kid (UK, 1950s/60s) we always had (real) butter in our sandwiches. Top and bottom. I never tasted margarine until I grew up and left home*. Also we never had sliced bread, always a loaf from which slices were cut with a bread knife. A trick my mother used to stop the slices crumbling, particularly when cutting thinner slices, was to butter the exposed loaf end first.

* I tell a lie. When we went to be watched in her house by the Polish lady next door, she use Wonderloaf sliced bread with this initially weird-seeming stuff called Tomor Kosher Margarine which I actually grew to like a bit. I remember seeing the little Beth Din logo on the packet showing it had been passed as kosher, and asking her why they needed it seeing they were Catholic. She didn't mind the cheeky question, and she told me they liked the taste and knew it was good quality.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 09:52 am
@hawkeye10,
If the butter is not inside the sandwich, do you put it on the outside? <truly puzzled by the question>
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 11:21 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

If the butter is not inside the sandwich, do you put it on the outside? <truly puzzled by the question>
The question is not complicated. We still put butter on the outside and grill it sometimes (though most people use pan spray I think to cut down on the calories), but who still puts a 100 calories of fat on the inside of their sandwich?

I think what we are looking at is a shift in our sandwich making. When I was young sandwiches were often high fat and high salt, lots of mayo based salad sandwiches (egg, ham, bologna, chicken) which I seldom see anymore, and we were so crazy that we threw a tablespoon of butter in there too. The supermarket deli once could be counted on to have huge pans of this stuff because it was so popular (and the bologna salad was super cheap), now I sometimes see a little chicken salad only.
anonymously99

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 11:44 am
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye10 is a woman.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 11:49 am
@hawkeye10,
I don't think you can get a sandwich here that doesn't have butter or some other spread inside.

You'd have to specifically ask to have it made without butter - it's definitely the default to have butter in/on toast/bread/bagel/croissant etc when you order something like that here.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 11:49 am
@anonymously99,
anonymously99 wrote:

Hawkeye10 is a woman.

Hawkeye10 is a foodie/chef/restaurant owner who gets off on food. Eating drinking and ******* are the three things that can be counted on to get my motor running.

Does anything do if for you outside of being a dick?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 11:51 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
lots of mayo based salad sandwiches (egg, ham, bologna, chicken) which I seldom see anymore

other than egg or tuna salad, these are rarely seen here - don't think I've ever heard of bologna salad, and ham and chicken salad sandwiches have traditionally been 'special occasion/church lunch' sandwiches only
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 11:53 am
@hawkeye10,

there's the clue - Canadian Living - that's how we do it here - buttered sandwiches are the default
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 11:54 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I don't think you can get a sandwich here that doesn't have butter or some other spread inside.

Strange, it must be a regional thing. I grew up in northern Illinois with my mom from Michigan and my dad from Wisconsin , but have not lived there since 1986.

I have some sandwiches on my menu and it is very common for them to get ordered no mayo. I never ever ever see at sandwich shops the bowl of soft butter that would be for sandwich making...I should ask for butter on my creation next time and watch to see what happens.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 11:59 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
..I should ask for butter on my creation next time and watch to see what happens.

if you did that at the main coffee shop here, they'd look at you oddly - then butter your bagel the way they normally do and give you 2 butter pats on the side, in the bag you take it out with
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 12:06 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
then butter your bagel the way they normally do and give you 2 butter pats on the side, in the bag you take it out with
Order a bagel in the PNW what you get is a cold sliced bagel and a thimble sized portion of cream cheese, not enough for both sides no matter how thin you smear it, nothing else.

http://www.landolakesfoodservice.com/product-images/Pk-Cup_CreamCheese.jpg