Who Puts Butter on the INSIDE of Their Sammiches

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 12:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
I experimented on butter on both sides of my bread awhile back when making grilled cheese sandwiches. Not worth the effort.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 12:13 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

If the butter is not inside the sandwich, do you put it on the outside? <truly puzzled by the question>

How do you make grilled cheese sandwiches? Dry and sans butter?

Butter goes on the outside of the bread.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 12:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
If you're ordering a toasted bagel with cream cheese, you specify single or double-toasted (most people request double-toasted) and you get about 3 ounces of cream cheese spread on - I usually have to take some off because it's too much cream cheese. You would have to specify 'no butter' , or they would butter the bagel before putting the cream cheese on.

Bruegger's provides the bagels to my favourite spot

they really do look like this when you unwrap them

http://sdjewishjournal.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/restaurant.jpg
anonymously99

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 12:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye said:
Quote:
Does anything do if for you outside of being a dick?

anon wrote:
I was giving you a hard time.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 12:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

not talking about grilled cheese here - talking about regular sandwiches
ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 12:18 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

and on another note - I prefer open-face melted cheese sandwiches to grilled cheese - no butter for those
0 Replies

anonymously99

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 12:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
I experimented on butter on both sides of my bread awhile back when making grilled cheese sandwiches. Not worth the effort.

Vegetable cooking spray.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 12:22 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

the new way is to spray the bread with something like Pam cooking spray so that you can get a little grill effect but cut out 90% of the calories of the traditional method. Last year I was at a restaurant and ordered a Ruben, they flat out refused to butter grill it when I complained about their cooking spray method. It sucked.
anonymously99

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 12:28 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Bruegger's provides the bagels to my favourite spot
they really do look like this when you unwrap them

I would had donated my bagel to someone who would had desired it. Out of the kindness of my heart.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 12:29 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
You would have to specify 'no butter' , or they would butter the bagel before putting the cream cheese on.
One of my waitresses is from Philly, I told her that I but both butter and cream cheese on my bagel. She accused me of bagel abuse, no butter ever she says.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 12:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
a resto that tried using cooking spray here wouldn't last long
anonymously99

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 12:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
the new way is to spray the bread with something like Pam cooking spray so that you can get a little grill effect but cut out 90% of the calories of the traditional method. Last year I was at a restaurant and ordered a Ruben, they flat out refused to butter grill it when I complained about their cooking spray method. It sucked.

I would had grilled you another sandwich but using vegetable cooking spray instead of pam.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 12:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
yeah, I'm on the hold the butter side when it comes to bagels and cream cheese

I think it's very regional. Some places have bagels with fruit in them. Those are not bagels as far as I'm concerned. They're some kind of bread product but not bagels. I accept plain/sesame/onion/poppy seed as bagel options. That's it.
anonymously99

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 12:34 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
a resto that tried using cooking spray here wouldn't last long

You must be from Philly.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 12:41 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
you specify single or double-toasted (most people request double-toasted) and you get about 3 ounces of cream cheese spread on

No one would consider putting it on here, just as no one would consider putting salad dressing on the salad, it must go on the side. There are way too many prissy people trying to cut another 5 calories out of their meal. I am a bit of an outlier for automatically putting mayo on a sandwich.

I think the 10z cream cheese PC pack was intended to be for one side of the bagal only, thus the entire bagel would be 2oz which sounds about right, but just try to get a second pack around here .

" I would like more cream cheese please" , " we gave you your cream cheese", "I would like more" " Shocked", " well, I suppose you could pay to get another one"
anonymously99

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 12:50 pm
@anonymously99,
Shocked
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 03:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
Actually, according to SparkPeople, 1 tablespoon (and that's not a lot) of Ranch dressing is 60 calories. Of course it's possible to look up others but it's not 5 calories unless it's diet something or other. A tablespoon of butter is 102 calories.

When you eat 1800 calories/day, so your meals average to around 500 or so with a 300 calorie snack, a 100 calorie slab of butter that you can't even really taste looms very, very large.

I do know what you mean about it kind of disappearing, but I think that's because more people are asking for dry bread or toast so it's just easier to mainly make it without. I was with ehBeth for a while there, scratching my head and wondering what you meant by inner versus outer. Smile
Foofie

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 04:02 pm
Mustard goes with ham and cheese. Cream cheese OR butter goes with a bagel. In my opinion, of course.

The above might just be a NYC thing? Or, a hold over from NYC once having a large secular Jewish population (25% of NYC in 1950). So, even though ham was not a Jewish thing, the Jewish deli made a pastrami on club with only mustard. And, a bagel was just a Jewish NYC thing that other New Yorkers enjoyed early on. It was marketed outside the metro NYC area (or other urban areas with a Jewish population, i.e. Philly) possibly around the '70's or '80's?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 04:08 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
Of course it's possible to look up others but it's not 5 calories unless it's diet something or other

I was being sarcastic.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 04:14 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Some places have bagels with fruit in them. Those are not bagels as far as I'm concerned. They're some kind of bread product but not bagels. I accept plain/sesame/onion/poppy seed as bagel options. That's it.

Dont get me started on the subject of what gets called a bagel. We have exactly one "bagel" shop in this area of 250,000, and they dont even serve real bagels. The prefab ones in the grocery stores tend to be even worse. None of the bakeries around here even attempt a bagel to the best of my knowledge.

As a long time bagel lover this makes me sad.

I was reading that NYC places are bitching that their health department increasingly will not allow them to make bagels correctly. It is a pretty good bet that the health department here is a big part of why I cant get a bagel.

I also cant get a decent pizza, even with about 50 places doing "pizza"....another thing that pisses me off!