SCARY STUFF

ailsagirl

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:12 pm
online vs offline
Craven,

Is that true? How do you know? (I'm not challenging you-- I'm just surprised because I thought the privacy of transacting with a computer sort of invited this sort of thing.)

I wonder if it would do any good to ask for new credit cards (& numbers, of course)?

ailsa
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:36 pm
Re: online vs offline
There's no definitive data on it so feel free to take my comments with a grain of salt. 80% of the identity theft victims have no idea how it happened.

Existing stats are also misleading because most online fraud is not identity theft but rather ebay style fraud (over 50% of online fraud reports to the FTC are auction frauds and most of those are using Western union now because things like paypal are much more secure than credit cards offline and online).

Online use of stolen cards is also common but the capturing of the data is easier offline. As anyone from a waitress to a trash collector often have access to your credit card info.

Cloning credit cards is happening more and more offline. It's easier to do offline than online and you can use it in many more places that way. There's a lot more appeal in a brick and mortar clone job.

The nature of offline transactions is much less secure, and almost always involved more human eyeballs than online (where the transaction is usually not ever reviewed by a human).

Using a credit card offline simply has many more means of foul play and the methods are a lot lot easier.

In addition, credit card companies almost always have more protection for online purchases than offline ones.

But don't expect any definitive data. Data on credit card fraud is guarded more tightly than the credit card info is. Laughing

It's "security through obsurity". Everyone I know who has suffered identity theft was not told by their credit card companies how it was done.

The last two people I know who had this AND know how it happend was:

1) a voided check sent to a mercedes dealer for automatic payments was discarded and a fraudster used it to clone checks and steal hundreds of thousands of dollars

2) credit card swipe at a gas station, the card was cloned
0 Replies

ailsagirl

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:52 pm
Fraud
Craven,

Thanks for the info-- I hope other readers can benefit by it as well.

ailsa

P.S. Where the heck is :noitacoL ??? Cool
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 07:52 am
dnoyeb fo kcab eht ta probably pergaos?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 07:54 am
Scary
Oops! Strike that last word!
0 Replies

MCNE

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 10:43 am
Thank you for the warm welcome. About 6 years ago my wife and I were stung on a Visa Card, but it cleared up. It was a pain, but so is skinning ones knee Smile
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 11:12 am
just so you all know - and maybe some of you have noticed if a place has the right equipment they will scan your check and perform a transaction same as a debit card, and give you your check back.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 11:32 am
Prevent Identity Theft
Your Social Security number is the main key to your credit safety.

Anyone with your Social Security number (SSN) can easily create a credit nightmare that will take years to resolve.

What steps should you take to protect your Social Security number?

Never carry documents containing your Social Security number. This includes your Social Security card as well as many insurance cards.

Never give your Social Security number to anyone by telephone, even if you make the call.

Avoid having your Social Security number used for IDs at work. Request a different number if possible.

Avoid using your Social Security number as your drivers license number.

Request that your Department of Motor Vehicles use an alternative number; most states will provide one.

Do not pre-print or write your Social Security number on your checks.

Ensure that those requesting your Social Security number are doing so for legitimate reasons, not merely bureaucratic reasons.

Request a copy of your Social Security Personal Earnings and Benefit

Estimate Statement at least every three years to make certain the information in the file is correct. Contact the Social Security Administration at (800) 772-1213 to learn how to order this free report.
Link
0 Replies