how to disable some startup programs?

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 02:24 am
i remembered that i used to be open a startup window when i click on accessories folder and system tools, etc. then click on system info, under one of the category, i can open the startup window, and unclick on the programs that i don't want them to start with startup. now that program doesn't have that option any more.

is there a short cut keyword that i can type in the run function, and open up the startup window, so i can disable some of the programs?

thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,083 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Turner 727

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 03:32 am
Well, in WinXP you can run the program 'msconfig.exe' and tweak your startup. I think it's available in Win98, too. This isn't a one time shot, tho. Used to be you could hold down shift as windows was loading and that would just load the OS. Not sure about registry-loaded program, tho. And that was back on Win98 I used it. I don't know how it works with later versions.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:31 pm
There are a number of startup managers available, both free and pay-for. Spybot S&D[/i], offers a fairly competent and easy-to-use startup manager among its many useful tools, making it, for its price of free, a helluva bargain, IMO. If nothing else, visit the website and read the tutorial and the FAQ to get an idea of what's involved. It should be noted that it is not a good idea to use multiple startup managers; if you do choose to use a 3rd Party application for the purpose, be sure to configure it to disable MSCONFIG. Before using any startup control utility, know what and why you want to start or not start at Windows startup.
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 03:18 am
oh, yea.

that is the shortcut word, just type in msconfig in the run commend, that will bring the program that i was talking about!

great.
0 Replies

crashoveride

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 02:48 am
yea thats a good way to shortent the startup time
0 Replies