Unusual underground noise

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 10:47 am
I was trying to post this in the Geology Forum but not sure if that is what happened.
I have a piece of property in the berkshires in western mass. There is an unusual noise that I occasionally hear and it has me mystified. At first I assumed it was someone trying to start a a large tractor or machine off in the distance. It sounded like a put...put...put.put.put.put. With the "put's" getting closer and closer together. the whole sequence lasted 3-4 seconds. I would then hear it repeat after 3-5 minutes.
After a few months I began to wonder what this machine was that wouln't start. since the area is very isolated and primarily state forest I also wondered where it was. It sounded like it was maybe 1/4 - 1/2 mile away.
This is when it got strange. When I drove toward the noise along my property line and stopped to listen I realized the noise was behind me! It was on my propety (60 acres). When I would walk through the woods to locate it it would seem to move about. I could never get there. It felt like I was chasing a rainbow.

Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 669 • Replies: 6

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 10:50 am
@dharris894,
No ideas at all, D, but I want to hear what others say, so I am bookmarking this thread.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 12:13 pm
@dharris894,
Big-Mass gophers!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 12:26 pm
@dharris894,
Some noises are almost impossible to track down by ear. Ever try to find a cricket by following the chirps.

I hope someone has an idea, but it isn't necessarily originating underground.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 02:07 pm
@dharris894,
here's a hypothetical possibility a wild-ass guess. Let's say that off of your property but nearby your to you there's something ..like a heavy-duty pounder or even a road crew or large tractor setting up low freq bass vibrations. And under or around where the you think you're hearing noises or pulses, you have a buried rocky ledge with touching surfaces m, you could be getting a sympathetic vibrations - so the source is throwing its voice, so to speak...and the buried ledge under your property is repeating some of the more powerful start-up moments of the real origination source.

Could be the forestry crew's machines and your underground rock formations are just acting like partial repeaters.

And then there's all that reverb and acoustic misdirection and bounce of the tress...etc.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 08:13 pm
@dharris894,
It might be a Pileated Woodpecker. Those guys have a rather long cycle to their pecking rhythm and if they are hammering away at a hollow tree (which they like) it can be pretty loud.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 10:43 pm
0 Replies