child support intercept

thebf

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 06:03 pm
My ex claimed our kids on his taxes and i didnt tell him he could. i didnt report it as i havent had a job and i figured i'd get the child support from it at least. i've been in contact with the office of child support the whole time since. they said his taxes had been flagged and it just takes time sometimes for the IRS to send them theirs. Recently he was put in jail for parole violation. i've talked to his mother and she seems to think he got the full almost 8000 dollar return. if this is true and they didnt take out my child support from it(he is several thousand behind), how did it happen and what can i do about it? i really was counting on getting it this year and im barely scraping by. speedy answer/suggestion would be very appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 816 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 06:20 pm
@thebf,
In New Mexico, we have what is called a "Child Support Bureau". Every state will have something similar and this should be your first point of contact.

For the past decade or so, courts have been requiring that support payments are made directly to that agency, and when the account becomes sufficiently delinquent, they should be getting withholding from the IRS. In extreme cases, they have gone so far as revoking licenses, even a CDL license for a commercial driver.

Hopefully, he still has the 8,000. If he doesn't, and he's in jail, the blood from a turnip thing might apply. Anyhow, get in touch with your state agency first. If you're in a town of any size, you probably have a local office.
roger

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 06:21 pm
@roger,
Oops! I reread and see you have been in touch with the agency. Sorry.
thebf

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 03:25 pm
@roger,
yes i've been in touch with them and his taxes were flagged. i was just wondering how he could have gotten all of it if what his mom said was true. surely an IRS mistake would be fixed with proper probing as they sure make us fix our mistakes but i dont know anything about tax law and i cant seem to find anything about IRS mistakes and procedure on the internet.
roger

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 03:34 pm
@thebf,
I don't know either. When the government(s) makes a mistake, it's pretty much "tough luck". Keep bugging the state agency is all I can suggest, but if the money, that is the tax refund is gone there's probably not much you can do. I don't think he can legitimately claim a child if he hasn't provided over something like 50% of the actual amount need to support the child. That figure should be way beyond the amount award as child support. In other words, you could probably report him to IRS of falsely claiming a deduction. Whether that helps you or not is anybody's guess.

That's about all I can offer. My experience comes from working with the agencies incidental to doing payroll and payroll deductions.
thebf

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 05:42 pm
@roger,
well he was already under investigation from last year. my parents claimed them and so did he. he hasnt been in their life in almost 2 years save about 3 days i let him keep them against my better judgement. i just dont understand why the government would side with a parolee deadbeat.
0 Replies