Where are your favourite places in the world and why?

Abishai100

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 04:24 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
I've been to many places, and have looked up information on places I'd like to visit on WikiTravel.

Here are some of my good spots (and why):

1. Paris, France- Eurodisney (under-rated), Eiffel Tower restaurant (worth the hype), Champs-Elysees (modern scenic beauty)

2. Toronto, Canada - good street scene, nice churches, chic food, nice public transportation

3. Bangkok, Thailand - Ancient City is a real marvel

4. San Francisco (CA), USA - Chinatown, trolleys, Haight-Ashbury, nifty street grids

Not-so-good spots surprisingly include Frankfurt (Germany), London (England), and Bucharest (Romania).

What I'd really like to see and hype is an American Amtrak trip to New Orleans, Louisiana.

New Orleans boasts a colorful mix of Creole-Cajun, African-Haitian, southern American, and French cultures. This is today's spot for the traveler looking to research street culture and hybrid traffic cuisines and apply it to knowledge of American business.

Gosh, I sound like an advertising agent.

I wish more people would talk about Amtrak.

http://www.amtrak.com/home
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 05:12 pm
@Abishai100,
You wrote,
Quote:
1. Paris, France- Eurodisney (under-rated), Eiffel Tower restaurant (worth the hype), Champs-Elysees (modern scenic beauty)

I agree with Paris although I've never been to Eurodisney, my wife and I have been to Disneyland and DisneyWorld. The real problem with Eiffel Tower now is the long line to go up on the elevator. Also, many miss not going to the top of Arch de Triomph to really see a great view of the city.

You wrote,
Quote:
2. Toronto, Canada - good street scene, nice churches, chic food, nice public transportation

Agree! A cruise to view the skyline of Toronto is a real treat plus going on the tv tower on a nice clear day. Their theater district isn't too bad either.

You wrote,
Quote:
3. Bangkok, Thailand - Ancient City is a real marvel

It's not only the temples by the river, but cruising the river and taking the skytrain to Siam Center for a real shopping experience. Jim Thompson's home is also interesting, and a visit to the Rose Garden is a must while visiting the Floating Market.

You wrote,
Quote:
4. San Francisco (CA), USA - Chinatown, trolleys, Haight-Ashbury, nifty street grids

Don't forget J-town and the Japanese Garden at Golden Gate Park in addition to the New Science Museum. The Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf, the Ferry Building, new Cliff House, Alcatraz, and cable cars, Nob Hill, and Russian Hill with all those neat restaurants, Lombard Street, Ghirardelli Square are all places of interest. Many miss the Legion of Honor, the Presidio, Crissy Field, and Angel Island State Park.

You wrote,
Quote:
Not-so-good spots surprisingly include Frankfurt (Germany), London (England), and Bucharest (Romania).

I disagree; Frankfurt has some interesting museums by the river, and some of the modern and classical architecture - especially at Romer - are worth the visit. I wholeheartedly disagree about London which used to be my favorite destination until the cost to visit there became prohibitive. We even had a couple of a2k Meets there. London has the best museums in the world, and the biggest theater district. Where else can one sit in the bar like Ye Old Cheshire Cheese and drink a pint in one of the oldest pubs in London where famous classical authors also imbibed? Where else can one visit the likes of the British Museum to see treasures from all around world? Not far from London is Greenwich where the International Date Line is established, the the Maritime Museum is one of the best. The National Gallery (one of my favorites in the world), the London Eye, Parliament, Westminster Abbey, both Tate Museums, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, the Tower of London, Charles Dicken's museum, Kew Gardens, Chelsea, and so much more. I'm really itching to go back to walk the old haunts I used to frequent so long ago.

I've also been to Bucharest, but for the required travel vs the number of real attractions there, I agree it's not a top priority.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 05:59 pm
Tuscany...what a dream land. Best memory of my life
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 06:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
No. We stayed at a renovated convent with giant cockroaches and went to a restaurant nearby where I ordered on purpose some kind of tongue dish al pipian (you know me).

We didn't go any museums, no.

I am long time embarrassed that I didn't know flying in what was going on there. Our going there was an add-on re a trip to Mexico. That was probably in '73.
I still learned a lot.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 06:15 pm
@Germlat,
Have you visited my blog on Tuscany, the Amalfy Coast and the Isle of Capri?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 06:39 pm
You don't know me, germlat, and I'm hard to explain, so I'll be quiet on that for now. I do like Tuscany (17 paintings), some lectures. I still know nothing, though I know a lot.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 06:49 pm
The Tower of London; Pompeii; Bavaria, especially Berchtesgaden.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 06:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Oh...why?

Because!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 07:39 pm
Glendalough in Ireland, the west coast of Ireland, south of France, pretty much anywhere in Scotland in decent weather, and...my new favourite, Morocco!
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 07:46 pm
@margo,
I was stationed in Morocco for one year in the late fifties with the USAF about 30 miles north of Marrakesh on a base called Ben Guerir. I was able to visit Marrakesh quite often on weekends with my air force buddies, and we had some wild parties there. Even stayed at the hotel where they filmed The Man Who Knew Too Much with Jimmy Stewart and Doris Day.

Them were to 'good ole days'
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 07:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I haven't but shall do...
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 07:50 pm
@ossobuco,
My dear..".I can respect anybody who can appreciate the beauty of Tuscany....I love sketching (ok...I don't think I can paint) so I think we can chat!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 08:39 pm
@Germlat,
I think so too.

I'm not your world's best painter, but I'm enthusiastic.

I sold a lot at one point for good money, am away from all that now.. (alas).
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 08:44 pm
@ossobuco,
I'd also enjoy just talking about it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 09:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Typical Tuscany scenery.
http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag215/Tak_Nomura/P1010189_zps8a202214.jpg
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 09:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I like.
http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag215/Tak_Nomura/P1010341_zps87929dc2.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 09:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
So, where is that? quite near the ship?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 09:45 pm
@ossobuco,
No, those pictures were taken on a land tour of Tuscany (northern) where we stayed for seven nights to visit the sites from our base in Chianchiano Terme. We then coached down to Sorrento (southern) for another seven nights to visit around the Amalfi Coast. The trip was in September of 2012. We ended up in Rome for one day before we departed for home.

I don't remember the specific location of the land pictures, since they were taken while we were on the bus traveling from one location to the next.
0 Replies

stevesmith42

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 06:35 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
My Favourite place in the world is India. India is one of the most fascinating countries on the face of the earth.The place is just too vast to be covered completely even with decades of traveling. From being the land that was once cruelly ruled by the British to being one of the largest democracies in the world today, incredible India has come a long way.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2018 10:45 am
@stevesmith42,
I have visited India three times, and have covered most of the important cities and sites in the north and south of the country. The influence of the Brits was still evident at many places. One of the hotels we stayed at had a British flare. India really is a fascinating country, and I wouldn't mind visiting it again.
After my first visit to India in the north, I told my doctor which hotel we stayed at in New Delhi who is from India, and she told me her sister got married there. I think I still have some pictures of my visit. If I find them, I'll try to post some.
0 Replies