answer for Acacia

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 03:26 am
Ask away, Walter!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 08:26 am
This is all getting a bit too Kafka-esque. I imagine an internet cafe in downtown Sydney, with a line of people, each waiting patiently for a chance to sign up for Able2Know just so they can ask the exact same question and thereby demonstrate their shared patriotic outrage at those Americans who display an insufficient amount of unquestioning awe regarding the legendary exploits of the Australian military. And this even though, in my initial response to the long-departed Acacia, I specifically remarked: "... Australian units served with great distinction in North Africa, and Rommel certainly must have been impressed with them, especially at Tobruk."

To msolga and any other Australians out there: I'm sorry for my somewhat intemperate remarks. Understand that I did so out of frustration, rather than any animus. To have three successive individuals, all seeking the same information and all responding in a thoroughly churlish manner to people (such as myself) who were merely attempting to answer their collective query -- well, it's enough to try anyone's patience.

As a penance, I will herewith sing "Waltzing Matilda," which, as national anthems go (unofficial though it may be), is a much better song than "The Star Spangled Banner," despite the fact that it is, paradoxically, not in waltz time and it is in a language that only vaguely resembles English:

Once a jolly swagman camped by a billabong, Under the shade of a Coolibah tree, And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boil, You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me. Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda, You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me, And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boil You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me. .................... Down came a jumbuck to drink at that billabong Up jumped the swagman and grabbed him with glee, And he sang as he shoved that jumbuck in his tucker bag You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me. Waltzing Matilda, Waltzing Matilda, You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me, And he sang as he shoved that jumbuck in his tucker bag You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me. ..................... Up rode the squatter mounted on his thorough-bred Down came the troopers One Two Three Whose that jolly jumbuck you've got in your tucker bag You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me. Waltzing Matilda Waltzing Matilda You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me Whose that jolly jumbuck you've got in your tucker-bag You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me. ...................... Up jumped the swagman sprang in to the billabong You'll never catch me alive said he, And his ghost may be heard as you pass by that billabong You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me. Waltzing Matilda Waltzing Matilda You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me And his ghost may be heard as you pass by that billabong You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 08:32 am
Couple more times oughta do it, Joe.

I am sure Melbourne (where Msolgs lives) has its own song, too.....
0 Replies