answer for Acacia

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 03:09 am
i was browsing this fine site when I came across a question asked by a member called Arcacia
http://www.able2know.com/forums/about15150.html

to help in answering his question, as he seemed to be ridiculed for it..

Hitler wrote:
Why are you letting a mere colonial division halt your progress

Erwin Rommel wrote:
It's not a colonial division, it's an Australian division. Give me two Australian division's and I'll conquer the world.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,677 • Replies: 42
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 03:12 am
Source?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:13 am
What's the deal with Australians and their obsession with this Rommel quotation? Is it the answer to a standardized test question? Is it part of a nationwide scavenger hunt? Is it a means by which an insecure nation can seek reaffirmation by reminiscing on its past glory? We "up top" are, I think, somewhat mystified by this surge in Rommel-related trivia-seekers from "down under."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 09:17 am
I would be interested in an attribution, as well. The Rommel Papers show a man with sound military judgment, habitually giving detailed and well-supported analyses, not given to hyperbole. That the Australians in North Africa fought well is not to be doubted. The purported quote does not ring true for either the style of Rommel's writing found in the Papers, nor in Infantry Attack (originally, Infanterie Greift An, which i have read in translation). I cannot deny that he ever said or wrote it; i am however, completely in agreement with Joe in being mystified as to why this is so important to those in Oz with an interest in military history.
0 Replies

anzacjack

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 04:40 pm
obsessed??
I was merely answering a question that was asked Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Is it a means by which an insecure nation can seek reaffirmation by reminiscing on its past glory

I take offense to that Mad

I was in the process of referencing my sources, but from comments that have come forth in the original thread, and now this one, I can see no worth. My initial thoughts on this site seem to have been wrong, so unlike McArthur, I shant return, as it seems you all already know all that needs to be known Confused
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 04:43 pm
anzacjack wrote:
obsessed??
I was merely answering a question that was asked Rolling Eyes

Yes, but there have been a relatively surprising interest in this issue.

Quote:
Quote:
Is it a means by which an insecure nation can seek reaffirmation by reminiscing on its past glory

I take offense to that Mad

That's lamentable but says nothing to dispute its veracity. I happen to think it a perfectly accurate characterization.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:14 pm
anzacjack wrote:
obsessed?? . . .[/quote[]

This thread has primarily english-speaking members (which include a goodly number from Oz, and a Kiwi), and mostly Americans and Canadians. In the entire time i've been here, almost from the beginning, there has never been, for example, a single question or statement about the War of 1812, a very significant event in the history of the three nations which provide the most of the members here. And yet, in a matter of a few months, we have had three Oztralians show up on the topic, and you comin in here on the heels of another who posted first a few days ago. Every time someone responds, the person initiating the thread has reacted as though offended that we don't take for a given that the Rommel quote exists. Not a single one of you have produced an attribution. This is not a terribly formal place, so if someone makes a claim, and others "have no dog in the fight," there'll likely be no challenge. However, if someone feels that they know, and can demonstrate the contrary, the allegation is subject to challenge, and it is neither unusual nor unfair to ask for an attribution.

Quote:
My initial thoughts on this site seem to have been wrong, so unlike McArthur, I shant return, as it seems you all already know all that needs to be known Confused

We've gotten exactly this response in all three cases--as if to say that be we not greatly impressed with claims of Antipodean glory, we aren't worth the time of your day. As for what needs to be known, i would suggest that what wants to be known here, by those of us who have now been fools enough to respond on three occasions, is why the hell should we care?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:33 pm
Very odd indeed.

Methinketh something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:34 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
What's the deal with Australians and their obsession with this Rommel quotation? Is it the answer to a standardized test question? Is it part of a nationwide scavenger hunt? Is it a means by which an insecure nation can seek reaffirmation by reminiscing on its past glory? We "up top" are, I think, somewhat mystified by this surge in Rommel-related trivia-seekers from "down under."

I'm not particularly interested in the Rommel quotation, Joe .... nor am I in the habit of "reminiscing on past glory", but I do find your response rather an overreaction. Rather rude & patronising, actually.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:37 pm
Seen the other threads, Msolga?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:43 pm
Quote:
Andrew Denton: I'm going to ask you each for a quick final answer...to a last question. I'll start with you, Paul Kimlin. What does Anzac Day mean to you?

Leut Paul Kimlin: I think it means a celebration of the Australian spirit, recognising that it's been a hard-fought road to get here and we've got a lot to be thankful for.

Andrew Denton: Austin Hanna?

Austin Hanna: I very much think it should be our national day - it made this country a nation. From Anzac Day onwards, this country has become a nation in itself.

Andrew Denton: Rowley Richards?

Rowley Richards: I appreciate the opportunity of marching on Anzac Day...with the object in mind of remembering all... from way back, all wars. And particularly my mates and those who are not any longer with us. It's an opportunity to have a little memorial service.

Andrew Denton: Paul Murphy?

Paul Murphy:The last few years I've had the... I suppose, the honour of actually attending Anzac Day, and Long Tan Day in Vietnam, having lived there for five years. And to actually celebrate those momentous occasions, but actually on a battlefield because we celebrate it at the Battle of Long Tan at the site. So it really brings it home to you just what being an Australian is and being part of this group of men that did so much.

Andrew Denton: Olwyn Green?

Olwyn Green: Well, it's an affirmation - I see now that the Anzac legend's grown into our national myth, our founding myth. And I'd like to just talk about the source of our legend. Out of the sea and the dawn on 25 April, these men charged across the beach and up the hills and they didn't stop, and it was described as reckless valour. And that is what I think is the kind of thing that fires the Anzac spirit - that those men were prepared to do that. That courage. They were volunteers, they were a group. And our Anzac myth is a collective myth. And that's why our heroes tend to be not as so much individuals but we think, when we think about Anzac Day, we think about the Kokoda Track, we think about El Alamein, the Rats of Tobruk, all those heroic actions, and I think about that day in Korea when they, with their bayonets, and the same at Gallipoli, they charged through that apple orchard in the same spirit. That's how I see it.

Andrew Denton: Robbie Robertson?

Ian 'Robbie' Robertson: Yes. On Anzac Day I like to look back on what...our enemies said about the Australians. Rommel said that at Tobruk, when Hitler demanded to know why he allowed a colonial division to fire the might of the German army, and Rommel said, "This isn't a colonial division, it's an Australian division. Give me two Australian divisions and I'll conquer the world for you."
Andrew Denton: Pretty good tribute. Thank you, Robbie. I'd also particularly like to thank the Australian War Memorial for their help and generosity in preparing this evening. Robbie, Olwyn, Paul, Rowley, Austin and Paul also, thank you very much.

part of a transcript of a tranzac day special on ABC ... click
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:45 pm
DEb

I saw one, this morning, which had been locked. No idea why.
I just thought that the instigator of this thread was a new member & If people were sick of the Rommel stuff then they should have just left this thread alone. And yes, I thought the response was patronizing & unnecessary. "Australians & their obsession with the Rommel quotation" Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:50 pm
There are two others - I think the first was locked because it had degenerated into simple name calling - though putz is pretty mild, I agree.

Yeah - Joe was over-generalizing by speaking as though Rommel's quote is a national obsession - but there you go.

The sudden Rommel "thing" is odd, I think.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:50 pm
The TV show transcript is not proof.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:53 pm
Lord - Denton did a SERIOUS Anzac day thing???

I think we DO have a rather amusing touch of "little country" syndrome, you know.

I like it that we celebrate a bloody disaster as a national holiday, though!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:56 pm
dlowan wrote:

Yeah - Joe was over-generalizing by speaking as though Rommel's quote is a national obsession - but there you go.

The sudden Rommel "thing" is odd, I think.

Well, call me quaint, Deb, but I was offended. It's not a gigantic deal, just something to do with being told that by someone from the most self obsessed nation in the world.
So some Australians get carried away with the ANZAC day celebrations & become super patriotic ... So what? Happens all over the place, I'm sure. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:01 pm
dlowan wrote:
I think we DO have a rather amusing touch of "little country" syndrome, you know.

Yes you guys tend to...

Hell y'all sometimes even jest with it yourselves: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=633

Quote:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:03 pm
Adrian - it's not proof that Rommel said it, but it does seem to be something that people understand Rommel to have said. It wasn't that difficult to find Rommel/Australian hits on Google. Of course the first one led back here, but we can just ignore that.

In my wanderings around (actually, killing time while waiting for something) I found this ...
Quote:
In the Middle East campaign, the most significant intelligence related event involving the Australian Army was the capture on the 10th July 1942 of the German Afrika Korps' 621 Signal Company. This highly experienced signals intelligence unit was captured by the 2/24 Australian Infantry Battalion, during a brigade raid at Tel el Eisa by the 9th Australian Division. The real significance of this capture and subsequent exploitation of the documentation and prisoners by Allied intelligence is cited by the Germans themselves, who are of the firm belief that the loss of 621 Signal Company was the turning point of the campaign in North Africa. It is recorded that the Commander of the Afrika Korps, General Erwin Rommel on hearing that his signals intelligence company had been captured, had to sit down, and was then heard to murmur 'They have plucked out my eyes and ears'.
A short history of the Australian Intelligence Corps click

Of course, this just shows that Rommel had a strong reaction to something the Australians did.

Most countries are proud (?) to one degree or another of war victories they've been part of. Nothing odd about it. ChicagoJoe's comment struck me as peculiar, but then I'm canajun.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:03 pm
Er - I so don't want to fight with you, Msolga - but I think that a perfect example of the li'l country thing I just mentioned.

Some Australians here pretty consistently feel they have the right to make sweeping, stupid, and very negative generalisations about the US (not you, generally) but to get offended when something negative is said about us.

In defending your view which you have, of course, every right to do) you made just such a sweeping generalisation as you complain of:

"just something to do with being told that by someone from the most self obsessed nation in the world."

The super patriotic crap DOES happen all over - and it is just as ugly and stupid wherever it occurs. Lord knows, I have had a go at the Americans for it often enough - I feel as though I can take it when it is accurately aimed at me and my country - I loathe it just as much from Australians as I do from the Americans.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:04 pm
Yep, we jest about it all the time, Craven. No problem.
But that's not what my concerns were about here. Enough said.
0 Replies