What are these rocks?

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 12:39 pm
This guy has posted some cool images on Flickr. Look to the right to click on more images.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 12:40 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Why does everyone keep saying "if?" One hundred twenty degrees east--that should have been your first clue--not Europe, Africa or the Americas.

I agree the coordinates given are where you said they are, I google-mapped them also.

I only said "if" as a prelude the conclusion that they could also be of volcanic origin.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 12:51 pm
'K . . . have any rocks ever bitten you in the ass?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 04:07 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
FM, have rocks ever bitten you in the ass?

Nope, so far, no rocks on the 'ttocks
dalehileman

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 04:15 pm
@farmerman,
Man you've made my day
0 Replies

stoneshadow

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 09:31 pm
@DarkCrow,
thanks...i have 4 trees there with i think have around 5 meters width! there are wild cats, wild chickens, wild birds..very nice mixture of farmland, ranch and wild forest....
0 Replies

stoneshadow

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 09:44 pm
@farmerman,
here is the snapshot of the google earth location;

http://postimg.org/image/hg8ryojyh/
http://postimg.org/image/q54abtrtf/
http://postimg.org/image/r4pjmmm7n/
http://postimg.org/image/h8ucbzlbl/
stoneshadow

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 09:47 pm
@Setanta,
the place is specifically in

Iguig, Cagayan Philippines
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 04:15 am
@stoneshadow,
The second photo is definitely part of the intermontane sedimentary rock. There are several beds of limestones and shales and sandstones that unconformably lie over the many volcanic belts .

Theres an interesting mini debate in evolutionary sciences that locate the famous "Wallace Line" just west of Luzon while a few scientists had the Wallace line split off and be located just SE of Luzon. SO, some biologists feel that (maybe) this island peninsula is a
mixed biogeographic area with characteristics of both Asia and Polynesian species.
Several other "lines" nave been located just S E of Luzon so there is even some further "splitting" of the species locations

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 11:26 am
@rosborne979,
As an ordinary rockhound I'm continually impressed by the wide-ranging ed. of our group, especially in geology. Aside from the determination of a typical a2k at the esl, I'm wondering if there might be some subtle subliminal or subconscious kind of connection between language and rocks
rosborne979

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 08:22 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
... connection between language and rocks

A connection between language and rocks? What?
farmerman

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 10:18 pm
@rosborne979,
yeh, went over my head too.

Other than petroglyphs, I got nuthin
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 04:01 am
I believe he may have been expressing admiration for the expertise to be found here, while continuing to cherish a grudge over the many, many times people have told him he has no business answering ESL/EFL questions. I am reminded of a girl in my school when i was a small boy who might have been said to be a slow learner (sixteen years of age and in the sixth grade). A teacher asked her a question in the cafeteria one day which mystified her. Suddenly she brightened and announced: "Ma brother kilt a coon!" Except, of course, that Dale's command of English has not yet reached such sublime heights.
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 06:23 am
@Setanta,
Its interesting that , since the earth sciences gather their tech data from all over, the roots and the actual techy terms are derived from all languages rather than just Latin or Greek, like bio and chem .

One rock form, a kind of denticle checkerboard pattern of dark and light minerals in a line, are called "dent de cheval" or "Drackenfeld"
or "Duragon Nah". In English, theres nothing but a sentence of description for these so we glom onto the foreign terms and build them into the literature.
Same thing for "Boudinage". Its waay cooler sounding than "Sausage stone"
I can go through the AIPG "Glossary of Geology" and find all kinds of neat terms that don't relate to classical languages a weve been

taufght in grade school.

One of the newest trends,is the importation and incorporation of Chinese terms into the techy literature. This is due mostly to the huge fossil and new mineral finds in China and Southeast Asia in general.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 10:18 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
In terms of difficulty a suggestion maybe of rocky terrain, or being between them and a hard place
rosborne979

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 10:27 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
In terms of difficulty a suggestion maybe of rocky terrain, or being between them and a hard place

I think you're being either too clever for your own good, or not clever enough for anyone's good. I can't tell which, but you've definitely left yourself between a rock and a hard place.

dalehileman

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 10:30 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I believe he may have been expressing admiration for the expertise to be found here,
Exactly

Quote:
while continuing to cherish a grudge over the many, many times people have told him he has no business answering ESL/EFL questions.
743 times, by actual count, give or take a couple of ambiguities

Quote:
I am reminded ……..she brightened and announced: "Ma brother kilt a coon!" Except, of course, that Dale's command of English has not yet reached such sublime heights.
By no means has it. Hence my continuing participation in spite of occasional lampoon

Guess ma motha musta bilt a loon
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 10:33 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
I think you're being either too clever for your own good, or not clever enough for anyone's good.
Alas probly the latter

Quote:
I can't tell which,
Yes that's understandable too

Quote:
but you've definitely left yourself between a rock and a hard place.
Doubtless my ultimate destiny, in boudinage to my own manifold deficiencies so generously listed herewith
rosborne979

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 10:54 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Doubtless my ultimate destiny, in boudinage to my own manifold deficiencies so generously listed herewith

Are you aware that people who crow with self-deprecation glow with insincerity.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2014 01:17 pm
@rosborne979,
Acutely Ros, indubitably, assuredly
Alas, tragically
If not magically
0 Replies