Outlook Express opens my email

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 04:17 pm
Many web sites open Outlook Express when you click on their "Contact Us" email link. Unfortunately, if you don't have an account with OE, you can't use this email feature; all you get when you try to send the email is a notice that you don't have such an account, so the email can't be sent. Then you get instructions that walk you through opening such an account

When I switched to MSN, OE must have been activated automatically, because until I used to be able to use this email to contact organizations whose link sent me to OE. However - I recently discovered that some of my MSN.com email was going to OE and being opened without my knowledge. Rolling Eyes So I killed off OE, but it's a nuisance not to have it available for "Contact Us" email links.

Has anyone else had this rather weird OE experience? If so, do you know how to deal with it?

Thanks! Confused

BTW - absolutely no one else has access to my computer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 951 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 04:44 pm
Tom,

Clicking on a mailto: link opens up your default mail reader. What mail reader do you use? If it's a program we can probably have this setup to be your default mail reader and have it open your mail.

If you use webmail, then you are out of luck, as the links are for mail readers.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 06:05 pm
Outlook Express opes
My email reader is MSN/Hotmail. I accept that "Contact Us" links may be set to see OE as my default mail reader, but that still doesn't explain why OE actually opened my email without my taking any action in the matter.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 07:20 pm
Tom, I think that happened because of an MSN configuration. MSN might configure outlook express as the mail reader for their ISP customers.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 07:57 pm
Re: Outlook Express opes
Tomkitten wrote:
My email reader is MSN/Hotmail. I accept that "Contact Us" links may be set to see OE as my default mail reader, but that still doesn't explain why OE actually opened my email without my taking any action in the matter.

You did take an action in the matter. You clicked on the "mailto" link.

If you use IE as your web browser click on "Tools" and then "Internet Options". Then select the "Programs" tab and change your e-mail setting to "Hotmail" (or "MSN Explorer" if you have an msn.com account) and in the future when you click on a "mailto" link it will bring you into Hotmail (or MSN Explorer).
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:34 am
Outlook Express
Fishin - I followed your instructions, but now I can't receive my email, only send it.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:37 am
Outlook Express
Sorry, fishin', I spoke too soon. I think things have straightened out.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 09:34 am
fishin,

The no action in the matter part was about an old question he had in which he discovered that OE was configured to use his MSN email and he didn't know.

I thought it might be an outo account configuration from an installation of MSN software but never having used them I'm not sure whether they do that.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 11:30 am
Outlook Express
OK, everything seems to be working fine. I can't use OE without opening an account, but I don't really want to anyway. I don't think it has anything to offer that I don't already have.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 04:06 pm
Re: Outlook Express
Tomkitten wrote:
I don't think it has anything to offer that I don't already have.

Gasp !
How can you say that ?
Of course it has a multitude of features that are over and above your current mail.
Take the massive security holes and the insistence on MicroFops product integration, the information transferred to Mucroswot without your knowledge or permission, the amazing amount of bugs and the exponentially increased potential or OS instability and crashes !

My GAWWWWD man !
HOW CAN YOU RESIST ???!!!!

:wink:
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 04:47 pm
Dude, he's already using Microsoft for email and in a manner that sends more information to them....
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 05:58 pm
Outlook Express
I had gathered that OE had a multitude of holes itself. Have I been misled? Confused
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 06:40 pm
It has about average but gets more attention because the MS market share serves as a lightning rod.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 08:50 am
Outlook Express opens my email
Craven de Kere wrote:
... in a manner that sends more information to them....

I don't get you, Craven. What do you mean by "more information"?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 08:57 am
Outlook Express
Also, Craven - "in a manner" - what am I doing wrong? (I know Heliotrope will say that using MSN/Hotmail is wrong in the first place, so let's skip over that.) But do you mean that there is some method of using what I'm using that could be changed or improved??? Confused
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:16 pm
Tom,

I'm not an anti-MS fella. Many people are and whenever people ask for advice about a MS program their advice is to simply not use an MS program (kinda like telling someone to buy a new car when they ask about the brakes).

The charge that using OE sends info to Microsoft isn't really valid. OE itself has no special privacy concerns.

MS does have error reporting (that you can turn off) and checks on illegitimate systems that some can point to as a privacy issue (I think it's silly to claim this) but that's not related to OE.

Using webmail will send information with each visit just as visiting any site will. So using OE would mean sending less information.

Thing is, it's a silly (IMO) concern. In other words, don't worry.
0 Replies