Has CGI killed the classic B-movie?

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 11:14 am
To me, Van Helsing is a classic B-movie, except for the CGI effects. I'm not sure I'm ready for high-tech B-movies. I'm just wondering if the current reliance on CGI has killed what was a bad, but fun genre.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,261 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 11:28 am
B-movie is a designation that is kinda outmoted so I'm not sure it describes the mediocre popcorn movies that are filled with CGI effects. B movies were, of course, the second run film of a double bill in the 30's, 40's and 50's. They were dropped when the theaters in the 50's had the difficulties with attendance and rather than raise the price of tickets subtly began dropping a double bill. Some of those films, however, became classics like "Detour."

Haven't seen the film yet but this director is responsible for both "Mummy Movies" and "The Scorpion King." These are movies aimed a teenage boy audience and may have some adult interest but it's not likely added to many comprehensive DVD libraries.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 11:33 am
To be honest, I haven't seen the film either, just the trailer. The story to me does totally fit the B-movie genre though...Van Helsing, Dracula, the Wolfman and Frankenstein...I dunno. I hated the Mummy movies. Now...what if Van Helsing was directed by Tarantino? That might be interesting.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 11:40 am
Tarantino will likely never climb onto the vampire movie bandwagon. It seems this started out with Polanski -- the revisionist Dracula movie. Most of them are disposable unless they succeed in being satrical like Polanski's. Tarentino is heavy on the satire so he could likely put a new twist on the vampire or horror flick. He's certainly produced the apotheosis of the martial art movies.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 11:45 am
BTW, this looks suspiciously like a Tim Burton movie. I believe Sommers is trying to emulate Tim Burton which is an exercise in futility and dangerously in the realm of being derivitive.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 11:45 am
Sadly, I missed Kill Bill II, but I plan to see it soon. What was that horrid Polanski flick with Johnny Depp...was it the Ninth Gate?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 11:48 am
Right and it was Polanski on cruise control but still better than a lot of efforts in the genre.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 11:53 am
True enough...the cinematography was pure Polanski, but the story bored me to tears, not something you want in a movie involving the devil.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 11:57 am
Actually, what I found much more fun was 'The Prophecy', with Christopher Walken as an over-the-top Gabriel, and Viggo Mortenson as Lucifer.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 12:02 pm
geesh - Cav - you and me be watching many of the same things.
9th Gate - different for sure
The Prophecy - kinda liked that one

I don't really like Tim Burton movies - DARK
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 12:04 pm
The Van Helsing trailers at the theater was ok - action packed enough I might want to see it - well maybe - first KB II
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 12:12 pm
I like Tim Burton...I thought Sleepy Hollow was great fun, but yes, dark indeed.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 12:19 pm
husker, I just thought of something, and since it's my thread, I don't care if it digresses...my take is that there are a lot more schlocky bad movies revolving around Christian faith, or it's sidekick, Satanism, than any other faith. Seems strange to me. I know that the movies I've seen about Jews or Muslims tend to be way more serious. I suppose that speaks to the popularity of Christianity. Actually, the company my wife worked for, before they were absorbed by Global, produced a very interesting movie about a self-hating Jew who becomes a Nazi, and then recognizes his faith later, in a certain catharsis. I don't want to spoil it, it's called 'The Believer', and it's a great flick.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 12:34 pm
Never seen it - but you never know - I'll keep an open eye.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 12:35 pm
Lightwizard, while I like a lot of tarantino movies, I thought his vampire movie sucked. From dusk to dawn started out ok, looked promising and then it died.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 02:26 pm
That was a Robert Rodriguez movie although Tarentino had a role and wrote the script from another story. Rodriguez is a wannabe Tarentino.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 03:09 pm
I read a review which said Van Helsing is like a Troma film with a really big budget, so I guess
it should be O.K. I still think there B movies being made but now they are Direct to Video
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 03:29 pm
Sofia was also hoping "Van Helsing" would have more substance -- an idea, not just a commercial hook.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 04:20 pm
Probably explains why it sucked then. I couldn't believe the talent assembled and the horrible product produced.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 04:25 pm
Some of the new crop of "B's" are quite enjoyable. I loved "Dracula 2000," and Underworld was actually better on viewing at home (and lets face it, I would pay to watch Kate Beckinsale simply sit motionless!).
As for the "Prophecy" trilogy, what thunk you guys of the third one? I actually liked that one the best!
0 Replies