The Death of the Ice Giants

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 06:38 am
Like glaciers elsewhere, the famous glaciers of the Alps are also faring very badly. (For example, the impressive Pasterze Glacier lies in the Hohe Tauern mountain range of the Alps, along the northeasternslope of Austria's tallest mountain, Grossglockner, and flows into the Moell River. The 9kilometre-long Pasterze is currently losing 5 metres in height and 20 metres in length everyyear.)

The link below leads to a subpage of the German "glacier archiv". They have crreated an online exhibition, where you can compare with the help of postcards, how the glaciers looked like years ago and now.
Although the site is in German, it's quite easy to navigate: just click on one of the red points on the map to see the cards:

Virtual Exhibition - map
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 799 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 01:00 pm
I live near the Rockies. The glaciers here are shrinking incredibly fast. I flew over the mountains last winter and I was surprised how bare they were.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 03:13 pm
Great site Walter and yes, very easy to navigate. The comparisons are amazing and its just fabulous to have the old images there. Thanks for sharing that.
0 Replies