blue shift and speed of light

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 07:59 am
I just found out something that i never knew before in "Stephen Hawkings Universe" on TV.
Apparently mass slows down time AND light!
The Great Pyramid weighs (I think they said) 6 million tons, and all that mass is slowing light and time close to it.
So they said if you stand next to it, time is moving slower for you than for people further away, (just billionths of a second).
It means that if a map of the earth was drawn showing the areas where time is running slower because of varying mass densities near pyramids, mountains, mineral deposits etc, it'd be fascinating to see.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 10:34 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
The fiction novel Heechee Rendezvous, uses the concept of black hole gravity wells as stasis areas for removing the occupant from the normal flow of time (outside the gravity well). It's a good book. Frederick Pohl knows his stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heechee_Rendezvous

Other novels have touched on this in different ways. A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge, hypothesizes that the flow of time (and thought) are different outside of the gravitational fields inherent to galaxies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Fire_Upon_the_Deep

And the Dragon's Egg by Robert L. Forward describes the life of a species which evolves on a neutron star (very high gravitational field) and their eventual interaction with the "slow" humans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon's_Egg

All fantastic books with fictional stories grounded in elements of real physics. So you can learn something while enjoying a good read Smile
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 11:01 am
@bevinp,
Quote:
Dale,
Sorry to be so long in replying.
No ai problema

Quote:
... thought I would receive an email when my topic received posts.
Hou hafta click on "Notify…" under "Preview"

Quote:
….yes you are exactly correct. Your explanation of my query is clearer than mine.
Encouraging, thank you Bev. Wish my postings were as clear to certain others

Quote:
By the way Wikipedia states "blue shift" means either a red shaft or a blue shift.
Thank you for that. It's not everyday….

Quote:
….Since the universe is expanding…. then the colour change should be to the longer wavelengths; ie, the red end not the blue end?
Yes as Ros confirms it is toward the red end

Quote:
…. it would be just as easy to say red shift.
That would make more sense wouldn't it

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2014 11:10 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
* Objects which are expanding away from us do have relative velocity (to us), but that is not what is causing the Cosmological Red Shift. As the Universe expands the wavelength of light expands with it and that produces the Red Shift.
Wow that's a new one on me, puts a whole new light on things. It's not everyday….

Forgive pun
0 Replies