New obsessive compulsive moved in next door

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 06:51 pm
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/TRAVEL/DESTINATIONS/04/30/obsessive.art.ap/story.ocd.ap.jpg

littlek - is this ^^^ him?

Quote:
BOSTON, Massachusetts (AP) -- A Boston artist has dedicated a museum exhibit to the type of behavior that causes some to separate their M&Ms into colors, pop bubble wrap until there is no more plastic to crush and focus all their attention on the most minute detail out of pure obsession.

The exhibit at the Boston Center for the Arts is called "OCD," as in obsessive compulsive disorder. Curator Matthew Nash said it's not about an illness but how the creative process can be driven by a series of obsessions and compulsions.

"You should see my studio," said Nash, who has shown his art in Boston, Chicago, New York and Italy.

He is one of the people who separates his Skittles, M&Ms and Reese's Pieces into separate containers for each color. He used the latter two sugary goods to create his art for the "OCD" exhibit, which lasts through May 9 and features artists from New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Massachusetts.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/DESTINATIONS/04/30/obsessive.art.ap/index.html
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 12:54 am
hey!? I would pop bubble wrap until there is no more to crush, but with pure joy Very Happy But they never allow me, always someone has to ask "hey, give me some, give me some" Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 05:54 am
I'm one of a little gang of people that got into trouble at work last year for popping bubble wrap. There were 6 or 7 of us working over some bubble wrap in the lunchroom. It got so loud, that people working in the mailroom complained. Embarrassed
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 05:59 am
Smile I love the stuff! You can buy whole rolls at the dollar store... heaven!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 06:33 am
The act of popping bubble wrap as a stress reliever is for me, a very personal thing. Depending on how you squeeze it, you get different sounds, each one representing the bastards who oppress you. It is VERY important to get the right sound for the right person....otherwise vengeance will not be unleashed. It's important to scrub everything clean while preparing for the ritual. First cast a circle, and it must be done precisely after dinner. Don't eat your peas. Line them up in a precise 45 degree arrow pointed in the direction of the person you wish to curse with your bubble wrap. Consider your method for popping the bubble wrap carefully. A simple thumb press works best for mild annoyances, but a fine sharp needle may be required for those who truly oppress you. Concentrate on the object of your stress and project their spirit into one of the bubbles. The bubble will guide you if you listen closely. Hear the bubble, and act accordingly.

How's that for obsessive? Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 06:35 am
It's starting to sound like we have more candidates for littlek to keep an eye on Shocked
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 06:36 am
no, no, no, no cav! you can't pop them with needle, it's not fun at all Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 06:40 am
MyOwnUsername, the needle is only for especially difficult toxic souls in your life. Most situations can be handled by the simple finger-popping of the bubble wrap. Smile

Say, does anyone know the name of the designer who made haute couture outfits from bubble wrap?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 06:45 am
If I had chosen psychology over cooking, I'd have a hard time treating patients with OCD. They're just too funny, and laughing in a session is NOT a good thing.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 08:11 am
cavfancier wrote:
The act of popping bubble wrap as a stress reliever is for me, a very personal thing. Depending on how you squeeze it, you get different sounds, each one representing the bastards who oppress you. It is VERY important to get the right sound for the right person....otherwise vengeance will not be unleashed. It's important to scrub everything clean while preparing for the ritual. First cast a circle, and it must be done precisely after dinner. Don't eat your peas. Line them up in a precise 45 degree arrow pointed in the direction of the person you wish to curse with your bubble wrap. Consider your method for popping the bubble wrap carefully. A simple thumb press works best for mild annoyances, but a fine sharp needle may be required for those who truly oppress you. Concentrate on the object of your stress and project their spirit into one of the bubbles. The bubble will guide you if you listen closely. Hear the bubble, and act accordingly.

How's that for obsessive? Laughing

Haha!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 03:54 pm
you can do a fair impression of fireworks going off by stepping on the big-bubble bubble wrap...
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 03:56 pm
that's true, but it's also waste Smile no needles, no stepping...slowly, one by one...with fingers Very Happy
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 04:14 pm
Re: New obsessive compulsive moved in next door
littlek wrote:
This guy has spent at least 1 hour after work no fewer than 3 times last week, detailing his jeep. And THEN, he spent several hours today doing the same. He has several different products that he uses and I swear he keeps cleaning the same spots over and over again. It's amazing. I try not to pay attention - kind of the guiding rule for city life, but I am not intrigued. I want to keep a log. I guess obsession breeds obsession.

Why do you think he does it? Is he in a bad relationship (she helps clean sometimes)? Is he out of work (I don't think so, but he could be)?

Is he trying to sell it (again I think not)? Is he simply comulsive? Should I ask him?

Is he anal?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 05:53 pm
Back when I worked in laboratories, I had a coworker who loved startling people with bubble wrap stomps. Aggravating after the first few routines. (She was the same one who let air out of tires when a student parked in a staff parking place... ).
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 07:37 pm
cavfancier wrote:
If I had chosen psychology over cooking, I'd have a hard time treating patients with OCD. They're just too funny, and laughing in a session is NOT a good thing.

I had OCD as a kid until I was in my early 20's. Back when I had it, no one knew what it was, there was no diagnosis for it. My obsession was with certain numbers. Like 9's were really good but 5's and 7's were to be avoided at all costs. I avoided stepping on cracks in the sidewalk and obsessively turned things like light switches, tv's and radio's on and off. Weird stuff. Drove my parents nutty to no end. As I got older, thru my teens those obsessions gradually lessened. By the time I was 22 or 23 the obsessions stopped. I guess I was lucky the obsessions stopped without the help of drugs or psychological treatment.

Suffering from OCD isn't fun cav. Please don't make fun of or laugh at someone who suffers from it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 09:34 pm
Sorry doglover. Sad No offence was intended.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 09:50 pm
You know, I haven't seen the guy wash, rub, wipe, squeegy, etc his car all week.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 10:07 pm
Call 911, littlek. Something must be seriously wrong over there.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 01:31 am
doglover wrote:
I had OCD as a kid until I was in my early 20's. Back when I had it, no one knew what it was, there was no diagnosis for it. My obsession was with certain numbers. Like 9's were really good but 5's and 7's were to be avoided at all costs. I avoided stepping on cracks in the sidewalk...
Suffering from OCD isn't fun cav. Please don't make fun of or laugh at someone who suffers from it.

First, I don't think cav was too serious. But I must say that you were wrong. 5 and 7 are okay too Smile Actually, odd numbers are okay, but pair ones are not...yeah, yeah, I had it too...I think actually everybody has some sort of it, at least that's what I found out in conversations with friends, it's just matter how much is someone obssesed with it - as a kids we were all avoiding cracks in the sidewalk (who steps on it loves Hitler and does not love Tito Very Happy) and few months ago someone thought of it and for few days we were all acting like kids, avoiding all cracks. I don't know if I had any OCD today, maybe one sort of it that I am always competing with light in my building - time is perfectly set for a close competition, and I am pretty happy when I enter my flat before light goes off. But I am competitive, so I guess competing with light is not OCD but being crazy Smile
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 04:32 pm
Quote:
You know, I haven't seen the guy wash, rub, wipe, squeegy, etc his car all week.

maybe he saw you glancing? shocked back to reality, he lost his nerve.
he's probably been pacing back and forth in his apartment, watching the tree pollen slowly blanket his precious...
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/14/2024 at 08:02:46