new members big question

klast

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 07:45 pm
I'm not sure where to put this as it's my first post(could a mod please move it?)

I've been trying to find somewhere to discuss these issues but everyone around me shies away, pretends not to understand.

I love challenge my kids to think outside the box by getting them to think about these concepts/paradox's:
1. mirrors opposite mirrors (images approach infinity till photons disappear from our perception)
2. circles are polygons with infinite 1D sides
3. spheres are made up of infinite 2D planes
4. the surface of a sphere is 2D with no edges or limits because it exists in a 3D universe
5. what makes 3D different to 2D? the Z axis, now imagine that same difference added to 3D, 4D?
6. 2D and 3D would be exactly the same if it weren't for time(movement) and something(us) to perceive it
7.The ouroboros(snake that swallows itself), what happens when the snakes stomach start absorbing itself?
8.I explain how time and space is like the surface of a sphere, no beginning, no ending, no boundary.
9.Humanity is obsessed with making the universe around us fit within our conceptual limits. eg treating time as flat linear "what was before time", and duality, we look for beginnings and endings and will put them at the same place if there is none (eg years).

I also talk about the Matrix effect and how it implies we have what is called the conscience or soul:
All our 5 senses (inputs) are converted into bio-electric signals that our brain perceives and processes, this is the point at which another entity could hijack these input signals and create a Matrix world for us. Then there's the outputs the conscience decides upon and triggers the brain to send out, the same bio-electric signals to interact and react to those inputs. One theory says that this conscious decision making process occurs in the energy field surrounding our body and the brain is the physical interface(controller)

Humanity restricts itself to the seam (of a rubber ball) and places an artificially imposed start/finish at the same arbitrary point on that seam.
What humanity is waiting for is a new "telescope" invention to totally change how we see the universe and ourselves fit in together. Currently we throw around all these religious/philosophical ideas because we are exploring(philosophy) or feeling scared(religion). Scared of feeling trapped within our own limited understanding, scared that there could be something out there bigger and more complicated than us. Hell etc. I wonder if this invention did exist would we be capable of recognising it? Is it already somewhere around us but we can't perceive it? Have we reached our full capacity of understanding?

I'm not scared, I'm an agnostic, pretending to have everything all neatly worked out and settled “on faith” never has appealed to me.
I'm more of a universal energy person, its everywhere all at once from the limits of the known universe to the force that holds sub atomic particles together to make our perception of the physical world. The same bonds that nuclear physicists make and break(fission,fusion). Totally beyond our understanding.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 1,079 • Replies: 9
No top replies

neologist

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 08:06 pm
@klast,
Watching
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 09:03 pm
Quote:
Klast said: I'm an agnostic, pretending to have everything all neatly worked out and settled “on faith” never has appealed to me

Good for you, but there are many mysteries in the bible that are far from settled, and they give us all sorts of tantalising clues about time and space and what we call "reality"..Wink

But regarding general questions, here's one I've often wondered about-
What is the "frame rate" (if there is one) of the universe ?
You know movie cameras can operate at so many frames per second, and some run at millions of frames per second so the film can be played back in slo-mo to capture the flight of a bullet or a bursting balloon etc.
But what if a camera was developed that ran at a much higher frame rate of say trillions of fps or more?
Would the slo-mo reveal a series of black gaps in the slo-mo replay where the universe "blinks" and renews itself over and over?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 01:14 am
@klast,
I suggest you consider the origin of all the concepts you engage with (time, dimensions, energy etc). When you realize these have no status of their own outside the history of human social discourse, and that different social contexts are required for their fruitful discussion, you may reconsider your position as a member of a forum and/or a "challenger" of those who have no interest in those concepts. In other words the phrase "humanity is obsessed with...." is a meaningless platitude which merely summarizes those who might dismiss your own interest (obsession ?) in those questions.

This is not intended to dampen your youthful enthusiasm for discussion of such concepts, rather to suggest to you that there is a more fundamental issue of "what knowledge is" (epistemology), which may need to be addressed. As for "some bigger which we cannot perceive"...consider a well known philosophical adage "the limits of my language are the limits of my world." (Wittgenstein).
neologist

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 01:29 am
@fresco,
Welcome to the forum, klast. Fresco has given you a fine basis. You will find many approaches here. I, for one, do not expect to find epistemological certainty, though I welcome the search. As far as the deeper things of life, I consider myself a naive realist.

So I watch with interest.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 10:58 am
@klast,
Quote:
I explain how time and space is like the surface of a sphere, no beginning, no ending, no boundary.

Perhaps if youd eplain to them the hypotheses of Eddington and ilya Prigogine . The concept of "the arrow of time' was introduced by Eddington and Prigogines work in dissipative systems analyses have helped me understand deep time
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 11:30 am
@klast,
Klast

Although you may tend to agree with what Fresco said in his response, Klast, I would call to your attention that he is (as usual) suggesting that he knows a fundamental truth about REALITY (one you may very well share, considering the 9the part of your thesis)…but that really amounts to little more than blind guessing on his part.

Neo’s agreement with Fresco…same thing.

Bottom line: I have no idea of what the true nature of the REALITY of existence is…and I suspect no one here does either.

Speculation is fun…and some of the unusual qualities you mentioned are great fun…

…but best always to remind yourself that guessing is guessing…no matter how many people guess the same way.

This should be interesting as a thread…although it covers material that has been covered many, many times earlier.

I like to think of myself as agnostic and as iconoclastic myself.

Welcome and good luck.
fresco

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 12:32 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Thank you for so succinctly illustrating Wittgenstein's adage !
timur

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 12:38 pm
@fresco,
Isn't that the truth!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 01:06 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Thank you for so succinctly illustrating Wittgenstein's adage !

No problem, Fresco.

Always here for you...delighting in your perspective that you know the REALITY!

It is amusing...and you amuse me.

Wink
0 Replies