Why are people so focused on the bad?

ReX

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 10:58 am
Why did you make this topic? Why didn't you create the topic:
Go out and play, the sun is shining, life is great!
?

Because we hope to either address the problem, or hope someone else will address it for us because we gain empathy from whining about it.
(I'm not fully elaborating here just yet, but I believe you get the picture)
0 Replies

iceman71

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 01:01 pm
life is good.i always try and think positive.one of my favourite sayings is "dont worry about what you havent got,be grateful for what you have got".lets face it we all know someone worse off than ourselves.like the person before wrote,get out and enjoy yourself you only live once......well probably.
0 Replies

Ameth A Morgana

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 02:36 pm
Re: Why are people so focused on the bad?
Individual wrote:
Does it ever seem to you that we are too concerned with everything bad in life? The news rarely talks about the new homeless shelter being built or how charity records are at an all time high. But they always, always show how much people are suffering and who was shot in the head tonight.

Do you realize that people are protesting the war in Iraq that they helped start because so many people have died? Shouldn't we be thankful that there are thousands more that didn't die?

Shouldn't we be grateful that we learned a lesson instead of mad that we got caught?

Why can't we see the good in any occasion? You may have to go to a funeral but at least you get to see the rest of the family, you get great room service at the hotel, and you get to take a vacation.

I know these examples seem odd and unconvincing, there may be some less severe ones that would illustrate my point more clearly, but don't you see that instead of cherishing the fact that we are alive, we complain about everything that is wrong with our lives?

If one hopes to improve - one must be self-critical; the same goes for our view of the external - we must constantly be unsatisfied in order to provoke improvement in the world around us. I can see what you mean with the funeral, though I don't know if I'd not appreciate those things, I think I would just be more pre-occupied with the sadness of my lossÂ…

Would you rather people spent their time congratulating each other on what good jobs they are doing - there is only so much time to be devoted to these extracurricular issues so why not write a letter in protest of the new nuclear power plant next door rather than about how good things are going at the homeless shelter. People need to constantly be reminded of their enemies or the entities or actions that oppose their way of life. It would be all out complacent of us to devote more time in things like the news to all the things that aren't so bad in such an imperfect world.

Sorry for the incomplete answer.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 10:12 am
I'm lucky to have a father who sees the silver lining under every cloud. He will hardly ever encounter anything which can't be seen in a positive light...however ridiculous the positive may be!

My mother used to quote:

"Two men looked from prison bars
One saw earth, the other: stars"

So I've always tried to look at the stars.

Why does that make me lucky? - because it's rubbed off on me. I tend to see the glass as half full and find life a beautiful and fascinating adventure.

Everyday acts of kindness between individuals don't get reported but the successes of sports teams get coverage and the cameraderie of fellow soldiers get some attention, if not as loudly as the number of the "fallen".

I'm well aware that we need to concentrate on things we can change for the better - otherwise they'll be ignored. In a smaller sense, though, I find encouragement and "Yes, you CAN do it" is often the best way to achieve results with those we are motivating to achieve...telling people they are no good is a route to their sights falling...and they will be less good as a result.

KP
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 03:06 pm
"We are all in the gutter. The only difference is, some of us are looking up toward the stars, others are face down."
0 Replies

ReX

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 03:55 pm
I doubt we're that immovable.
Of course, if we're just putting nice quotes here, I'd like to add something Smile
I like to be touched(moved), not pushed.

relevance? Well, the hard strikes us harder than the good. As long as we do not see that the soft way is often harder than the hard way (hard to do that is, I came to this conclusion during aikido, which includes a way of life), the impact of the bad will remain greater than that of the good. Note that by good and bad, I tend to see beauty and perfection in the harmony of things and ignorance of people(and things which tend to still annoy me) as bad :p
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 04:22 pm
Quote:
"Two men looked from prison bars
One saw earth, the other: stars"

The third man is hardly ever mentioned. He was in the prison library, preparing his appeal.
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:47 am
ReX wrote:
Well, the hard strikes us harder than the good. As long as we do not see that the soft way is often harder than the hard way (hard to do that is, I came to this conclusion during aikido, which includes a way of life), the impact of the bad will remain greater than that of the good. Note that by good and bad, I tend to see beauty and perfection in the harmony of things and ignorance of people(and things which tend to still annoy me) as bad :p

Now thats an interesting concept, ReX. The soft way is often harder than the hard way. Yes. At first glance, it might appear that it might be "easiest" to do nothing, or, take a easy job as, say, a movie theater cashier. But if one does absolutely nothing, they probably end up homeless. Its actually hard to be homeless. Might be harder than working a job. Constantly harassed by police, pushed around, never a place to really sleep. Attacked by everyone all the time. Despised. I've read homeless have some of the highest stress levels of anyone. Yet, at first glance, some may think they have it "soft."

Even taking an easy yet low-paying job: then, if one lives in a city, they probably end up living in a semi-ghetto, one room, with high stress. In a way, it might be "easier" to study for years to get a higher paying job and end up in a higher paying job, where one can go home to a comfortable home.

But of course the hard way isn't necessarily always the easy or right way.
0 Replies