Admitting Defeat

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 10:38 pm
If you have been arguing intensely with someone for a very long time and you suddenly realize either that you are completely wrong and your opponent is absolutely correct or that both of you are wrong, you do you approach this realization without feeling like an ass in front of that person?

For instance, say that I was arguing that god does not exist with someone that I have known for years who says that god does exist. All of a sudden, I realize that there is irrefutable evidence of a god. How do I state that I have suddenly come to the conclusion that god does exist without feeling incredibly stupid in front of them? "Oh yeah, I guess you have been right all along" just doesn't cut it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 877 • Replies: 9
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 10:56 pm
Be honest and admit you were wrong. Explain why you changed your mind. I think the other person will appreciate the fact that you're willing to admit it when you're wrong.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 11:00 pm
After reading your profile, I think you should disregard my earlier post. Wink I've learned that you are much wiser.
0 Replies

bella

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 11:04 pm
I don't see any problem with saying "Oh yeah, I guess you have been right all along." In that instance, you will have learned something and unless you take yourself too seriously, it shouldn't matter that you were wrong at first.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 11:18 pm
I would love to think that I wouldn't feel bad about being wrong and that at least I learned something from the experience...but I know that I would just feel silly to interrupt someone in the middle of a heated, emotional argument to say, "excuse me, uh...you're right and I'm wrong. Sorry for the confusion. Nice dress by the way, is it new?" And of course, there will be an obligatory cheesy smile followed by a long, awkward silence at the end of which we will still feel like we are arguing.
0 Replies

bella

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 11:34 pm
You're focusing on the bad. :wink:
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 11:20 am
truth
Because the good is not a problem :wink:
0 Replies

bella

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 01:07 pm
Very true, JLNobody.

But if the problem is that you have to give a "cheesy smile" and a long awkward silence, perhaps there is comfort in knowing that the friend you are arguing with will someday be wrong in another arguement and will have to return the cheesy smile and suck it up?

Don't worry, you can't be wrong all the time, so you will one day gain revenge on your friend by winning the next arguement.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 03:47 pm
Why is revenge so sweet?

Oooh! Another good thread perhaps?
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 03:34 am
I spent a lot of time in other people's lectures at Uni, largely because they were far more interesting than mine but also because they offered more opportunities for discussion.
In my girlfriend's psychology lecture I spent a good half hour arguing for one particular point that was diametrically opposed to the lecturer's point.
I started to realise as I continued that I was in fact reasoning it out and slowly turning it all around, so I stopped and said to the class at large that I understand where this is going to I'll take it to it's logical conclusion which eventually brought me in line with the Prof's point.
It was a learning experience.

Say you're wrong if you are.
If new information comes to light that requires you to change your opinion then do so.
0 Replies