Slow.........So slow

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 09:47 am
I have roadunner and I defrag and run Norton Clean Sweep and all that religiously. My computer has become progressively slower until now its slower than 28.8.

Only thing I can think of is that my cubs computer went down and so they put aol on line buddies and kiwi box and yahoo chat rooms on my computer and are chatting constantly and it seems that's when it started slwoing down. Someone told me aol and roadrunner do not play well together. Also, the amount of pop ups have increased dramatically.

I go to task manager constantly and find iexplore.exe stuff which I kill, but I also have a bunch svchost.exe.

Advice? My computer is so slow I can't use it. I'm on squinneys right now. I have Norton one button check up running on mine, and it has found 28 registry errors and says my last virus scan check needs attention.

HELP!!!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 913 • Replies: 9
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 09:50 am
You got yuckware.

There's a hundred threads already posted here on how to deal with it.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 09:54 am
Could be due to a parasite; what you describe is a typical symptom of that. You might want to try the following:

Get CoolWebShredder , download it to a folder you create for it on your C: drive. To create a folder on your hard drive, right-click "My Computer" from your desktop or Start panel, Select "Open", then find, select and open the folder for your C: drive, and from the toolbar in that folder, Select "File", then select "New", then click "Folder". When "New Folder" appears, give it a name you will recognize as the download you are about to perform and direct the download into that folder. Disconnect from the internet, then boot into Safe Mode[/i][/b]. Find and open the CoolWebShredder folder, then click the icon to start it. Click "Fix" (not "Scan Only") and let it fix whatever it finds. When it has completed, reboot, and reconnect to the internet.

Without doing any other surfing, get AdAware Basic Before opening and installing AdAware, see: How to update AdAware and AdAware Full Scan Instructions.. With no other browser windows open or applications running, install AdAware. Once AdAware has been installed, updated, and configured to run at next boot (make sure its configured for a full scan per the earlier instructions ... also available also in AdAware's built in "Help" documentation), disconnect from the internet, and reboot. AdAware should launch before anything else. Let it fix whatever it finds.

Now, get, install, and configure Spybot S&D. When the download has completed, close all browsers and running programs, and install SpyBot S&D. When the installation is complete, the program will open. Before running SpyBot, update it. Next, when it has updated, leave Spybot open, disconnect from the internet, then select "Immunize", and then select "Install" in the panel beneath, titled "Permanently Running bad download blocker for Internet Explorer. Do not check any of the boxes in the lower panel (Recommended miscellaneous protection") at this time. Now, while still disconnected from the internet and with no other browsers open or apps running, select "Search and Destroy", then select, at the bottom of that page, "Check for problems" (while it is running would be a good time to click on "Help", and read the tutorial). When that has finished, click "Select all items", then click "Fix selected items". As with AdAware, Spybot may ask to run again on next boot to fix some problems. Again, naturally, if so, grant it permission and reboot; if it does not, run it one more time anyway, then reboot.

When that has been done, reconnect to the internet and go immediately to Windows Update and get any needed Critical Updates and any other security or privacy updates which may be recommended. While you're there, take a look at Microsoft: How to protect my computer

Make sure also you have a current and properly configured antivirus, and use at least XP's built in Firewall.

Note: if you're not running XP, lemme know what OS you are using; there are some adjustments to be made in the above for other versions of Windows.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 09:57 am
PDiddie wrote:
You got yuckware.

There's a hundred threads already posted here on how to deal with it.

I have no idea what yuckware is and have no idea how to find a thread about it....when it comes to computers I am not only woefully ignorant but woefully stupid....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 09:59 am
I am running xp pro......
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 10:01 am
Cool. Follow the process I detailed. That should help.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 10:03 am
Thanks very much. I'll have squinney do it. I'm so computer illiterate I probably can't follow these directions Rolling Eyes

I'm more about foraging and hibernating.....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 02:24 pm
thank you timber....I'm back up to speed...spybot and adaware, especially spybot, found and killed a tremendous amount of crap.......
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 03:54 pm
That's great news, BPB. Really glad you were able to find the help you needed here. Thanks for the feedback, too; that helps the helpers keep on top of what needs to be done. Now, mind your updates, and be careful out there :wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 04:33 pm
Timber & Monger, you guys are a godsend for us computer challenged folk. I wanted to thank you in advance of some questions I'll be posting soon.
0 Replies