can't seem to uninstall the internet explorer?

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 09:28 am
i can't find the name on the "add/remove program" in control panel.

and when i go to the "program files" directory, i can find the internet explorer, but it doesn't have the ie.exe or anything similar.

i tried to remove it from add/remove program by clicking on the add/remove windows component yesterday. it worked, sort of. i can't find the IE icon on my quick launch or the desktop or the startup menu.

now the only way to open ie is thru yahoo messenger or msn messenger.

you may wonder why i am trying to uninstall it, because i seem to have trouble of logging on a particular email web site.

and when i tried to use the iesetup.exe to reinstall, the computer tells me that i have the newer version! so it won't install it again.

now what am i gonna do? how can I at least get the icon back, so i can just click instead of opening it thru the messengers?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,353 • Replies: 11
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 09:47 am
See Microsoft: IE6 Top Setup Issues
0 Replies

mcnich327

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 09:31 am
Internet Explorer is located on your "C" drive under program files
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 12:12 pm
mcnich327 wrote:
Internet Explorer is located on your "C" drive under program files

Some of it is. That's sorta like sayin' your circulatory system is in your chest.
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 01:01 pm
yes, i know where it is located, but the exe program is not there any more!

i can't find a way to creat a shortcut on my computer any more! the only way to open the explorer is to use yahoo or msn messenger!

and i tried to follow the instruction on microsoft web site, it didn't work!

i tried to reinstall ie6setup.exe, it keeps telling me that i have the newest version. but something is wrong, because i can't seem to use this thing to get access to an online email site.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 01:20 pm
What operating system are you using, and what is its update status??
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 01:25 pm
i am using windows xp, and i just can't reinstall at all. the setup program keeps telling me that i already have the newest version.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 02:27 pm
Microsoft wrote:
Edit the Registry and Install Internet Explorer 6

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

When you try to reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer, you may receive the following error message:

Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system.
Setup cannot continue.
To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, follow these steps:
While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.

To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.
Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6.
To reinstall Windows XP updates, visit the following Microsoft Windows Update Web site:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

By default, Internet Explorer 6 is preinstalled in all versions of Windows XP and cannot be removed. To provide computer manufacturers more flexibility in configuring desktop versions of Windows XP, Microsoft has made it possible for OEMs, administrators, and users to remove user access to Internet Explorer while leaving the Internet Explorer code intact and fully functional to make sure the functionality of programs and operating system functions that rely on it. For example, Windows XP supports an "IEAccess=off" switch in the Unattend.txt file, and Internet Explorer has been added to the Add/Remove Windows Components section of the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel. This does not reinstall Internet Explorer.

This, from the third article linked to on the Knowledgebase page I sent you to earlier, WILL work, if you follow the instructions exactly. Your other alternative is to reinstall Windows XP from CD and start from scratch.
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 03:09 pm
yea, i have read that one before you posted it again.

and i have changed the local value from 1 to o. and this is the second time that i am doing it. i forgot what happened last time, but it didn't work last time.

this time, i am getting this message, ""a previous installation has pending work requring a reboot. You need to restart your computer to comlete the installation before running internet explorer setup. set up will now close."

and i doubt that it will work after rebooting. i think that last time i did it, i just got the same message telling me that a newer version has been installed.

i will reboot after i am finished with the things that i am doing online right now. but i doubt that this is gonna make a difference.

is there any simple just to find the exe file and add the shortcut?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 03:34 pm
youngman wrote:
... is there any simple just to find the exe file and add the shortcut?

No easy fix that I'm aware of ... might be one, but I don't know of it.

See This Article for info re and workaround for the " ... previous installation has pending ... " error message.

And I'm still unclear on something I asked you about earlier ... what is the update status of your Windows XP? Specifically, have you installed ServicePack 1 successfully?
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 04:03 pm
i have the update program on all the time, i am constantly updating accordingly. i think that i have the service pack installed properly.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 05:04 pm
You might try uninstalling, then re-installing ServicePack 1:

Microsoft wrote:
Removing a Service Pack
You can remove Windows XP SP1 by using the Add or Remove Programs tool in Control Panel or by running the uninstallation program from a command prompt. Notes about removing a service pack:
You cannot remove a service pack that you installed in Integrated mode.
If you used the -n parameter when you ran Servicepack.exe, you cannot remove the service pack.

If you install any programs or services that require or have fixes that are contained in the service pack, removal of the service pack may adversely affect those programs.

Do not remove the service pack if you have installed any programs since you installed the service pack.
Do not remove the service pack if it contains system updates such as file format, database format, and registry format changes that Setup cannot remove.

To uninstall a service pack by using the Add or Remove Programs tool in Control Panel:

In Control Panel, double-click Add or Remove Programs, click ServicePack.exe, and then click Change/Remove.
Follow the instructions on the screen.

To uninstall a service pack from a command prompt:

Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
Change to the c:\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst folder.
Type Spuninst.exe, and then press ENTER.
Type exit, and then press ENTER.

For additional information about how to obtain Windows XP SP1, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322389 How to Obtain the Latest Windows XP Service Pack
[/b]
0 Replies