Can i use my best-guess to state my income?

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 05:23 pm
I'm looking to sign up for Obamacare in California (Covered California). From what I've read, the tax credits for plans are based on projected income for the year. I'm in the situation that my wife is currently on a salary of $28,000, and I'm unemployed. I receive $250 a week from unemployment insurance; however, I only have $4000 remaining until my claim expires. Therefore, as it stands, our income for the year will be $32,000. Of course, I hope to have a well-paying job well before the end of the year, but nonetheless that is how it currently stands.

Therefore, am I able to put down $32,000 in the "income" field? I know things could change, but there's so many variables that it just seems easier to put it how it currently stands now. And to be honest, I'd prefer to pay the lower premium now, then make up the deficit (if there is one) at the end of the year.

As a sub-question, if I do put $32,000 and then I get a job next month, do I immediately have to contact the powers-that-be to report our income change? I'm not trying to be deceptive, I'd just prefer to wait a month or two before reporting an income change, so that I know that I'm "safe" in a job. And whichever way, it'll all come out of the wash the same way at the year end.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Rob
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 685 • Replies: 2
No top replies

chai2

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 07:01 pm
@robgreen999,
I had a thread on this very question. See link below.

Read all the the posts on that thread, as I had to contact them twice.

To double check your situation, if I were you, I'd call them personally and ask. Their number is on the website.

http://able2know.org/topic/226758-1#top
0 Replies

InsuranceLady

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 01:41 pm
@robgreen999,
Yes, you can guess. Really, that is all everyone else is doing, too. It is hard to say what you are going to make for the rest of the year. Do the best you can and if you need to change your income, that is okay. You can call to tell someone or the "change in circumstance" feature is now working online and you can go to your application and change the income you reported.
Hope that helps!
0 Replies