getting rid of pop ups

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 09:16 am
I am getting pop up ads when I am not even on the internet. What is causing this and how can I stop them? I have the Adaware program and I use it, but I am still getting them. Please help!!! This is getting so bad, at one time I came back to my computer and had over 10 ads hogging up my Windows space.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,282 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 09:17 am
Try here.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21110&highlight
0 Replies

Exploitx

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 04:54 pm
use Mozilla or Firefox Automatically Pop Up Blocker
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 04:55 pm
It's not related to the browser, it is a spyware infestation.

yleecoyote26, see the link Wilso posted.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 07:24 pm
If you have a DSL or cable modem, it might be coming in through the Windows messenger feature. Try this: http://grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 07:45 pm
OK I have tried to open the CoolWWWSearch.SmartKiller removal tool and I can't seem to get it to really install and work. This is from where Wilso said to go. The CWSHREDDER is installed and works fine. I was on Windows98SE and just in the last few weeks, now have Windows2000 Professional. So I am still getting used to the changes. But I am still new to the ZIP files and Unzipping. I am not sure I am getting the SmartKiller (unzipped) correctly. So far I am still getting the pop ups while in the windows. I am now going to try what Swimpy had down and see if it makes a difference. Thanks to all.
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 09:02 pm
OK I finally got Spybot S&D back again. Had it on my old system and I have Adaware too. Ran them.
Can anyone tell me what Roings is? It's on my ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS and it keeps coming up when I run adaware. Is it something I really need? And Swimpy thank you for the ShoottheMessenger. I did do that, but unfortunely I still got several pop ups alittle while later. But with everything I have done, I am not getting half as many as before. So I am slowly getting rid of them. Thanks for the help.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 10:46 pm
D on't sweat the problem with Killer ... the latest Shredder incorporates it. Have you fully updated and proprely configured both SpyBot and AdAware?
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 10:31 pm
Yes I have everything updated and configured correctly. At least as far as I can tell. Just still trying to figure out why I am still getting those annoying pop ups no matter what or where I am at on the computer. I delete cookies and temp files every day and run everything every day to try and catch whatever it is that's allowing them. Just stumped is all I can say.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 05:04 am
Odd ... Roings is a CWS variant which CWSShredder should deal with, and which AdAware's current datafile should handle as well.

OK ... here's what I think you oughtta do. First, See: How to update AdAware and AdAware Full Scan Instructions.. Make sure AdAware is updated to the current file set, which should be Reference File 01R299 22,04.2004 (or later), and configured for full scan. Don't run it yet, just get it set up properly.

Next, delete your current copy of CWSShredder, then create a folder named "CWSShredder", or something similar you will readily recognize, on your hard drive. To create a folder on your hard drive, right-click "My Computer" from your desktop or Start panel, Select "Open", then find, select and open the folder for your C: drive, and from the toolbar in that folder, Select "File", then select "New", then click "Folder". When "New Folder" appears, give it a name you will recognize later. Next, Get the latest version (should be 1.57.0 or later) of CoolWebShredder and direct the download into that folder. Don't do anything with it yet, just download it into its own folder. Next, create a folder on your hard drive named something like "HiJackThis", and download HiJackThis into that folder. Again, don't do anything with it yet, just get it.

Now disconnect from the internet and Start Win2K in Safemode. Find and open the Shredder folder, click on the icon to launch Shredder, select "Fix", and run it.
When it has completed, while still disconnected from the internet, reboot back into safemode and run AdAware, letting it fix whatever it finds. When it has completed, open its configuration and set it to "Run at Windows Startup" (you can deselect that later, but we want Adaware to do a full scan on the next startup. Next, still without connecting to the internet, reboot normally and let AdAware run again, and let it fix anything it finds.

Next, find the HiJackThis folder and select "Config". In the "Main" panel, make sure everything EXCEPT "Mark everything for fixing ... " is checked. Then Click the "Back" button, and click "Scan". When it has completed, click "Save log". A Notepad window will open, containing the saved log. In the Notepad window's toolbar, select File >Save as, name it something you'll recognize, and save it somewhere you can find it.

Next, connect to the internet, navigate back to this thread, and post the saved log. We oughtta be able to start to figure out any remaining problem from there.

Oh, and check in at Windows Update and make sure you're all good there, too.
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 04:07 pm
Maybe you can answer this---what is the Roings??
I'd like to know what it is and do I really need it on my computer. It keeps coming up on the Adaware program.
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 04:16 pm
Nevermind I did a Google search and found out it's an enhancement for browser and such and that it's
from a marketing company. So that may be why I am still getting pop ups. I have Deleted it from my programs.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 04:24 pm
This stuff is getting so bad I am seriously thinking about getting a Mac for my kids. While no one is immune, the hijack marketeers tend to really focus on the young web surfers. Sucks.
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 09:34 pm
Well what makes me mad is this stuff is already on here, not something I downloaded. I recently had the harddrive cleaned and had them upgrade me to Win200 Pro and this Roings thing is already installed on here. Since I have uninstalled it, I haven't had any pop ups yet.
Yes I agree about them targeting young ppl on here. I don't know that much about Mac's but they seem to not target them as much. Good luck with that.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 09:18 am
So, over dinner last night, the wife looks over at me and says "I have some bad news for you. The computer is dead again." No ****.

So I look it over and realize that it is working, but if you connect to the Internet, you cannot display any pages in IE. nslookups from the command line work fine. So, I disconnect and run Ad-Aware, Spybot, and and McAffee virus scan. Ad-Aware and Spybot both find a couple non-malicious items and McAffee finds absolutely nothing. So I reboot, and try connecting to the Internet again. Now, my Earthlink toolbar software refuses to dial the phone. Argh.

So, I force the system to dial the phone using the network connections and then start IE. Still, no pages can be loaded. On a whim, I run regedit and search for a program that Windows keeps complaining about whenever I exit "Imgicon.exe". Nothing there. So I exit, log off the Internet, and try regedit again. "No such file or directory". Huh? So I try running "ipconfig /all". "Not enough memory...". WTF??

Machine is unplugged immediately and brought to work today for diagnostics.

Anybody have any ideas? Could it be the sasser virus? I didn't have the latest definitions from McAffee but I was of the impression that sasser was only going after broadband users, not dial ups.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 09:29 am
Sounds like a redirect problem. Find your Hosts file, which will by default be found in:

Windows XP
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

Windows 2K
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

Win 98\ME
C:\WINDOWS

Don't open the file, just right-click on it and rename it to something like "GHosts" or "Hosts.Old", which you can easily change later. If that works for you, let us know, and we'll walk you through sorting out a permanent fix.

It could be an LSP problem, too ... a bit trickier, but not impossible to sort out. Do you have HiJackThis on your machine? If so, run it, copy the log to a floppy, then transfer it to an unaffected machine and post it here. If you don't have HJT on the affected machine, it can be downloaded to a floppy which can then be used to indstall it on the problem machine.

Oh, and while what you're experiencing doesn't necessarilly sound like Sasser, the worm can infect any Windows machine lacking the appropriate updates and not behind a properly configured firewall while connected to the internet by any means.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 09:38 am
Turned out to be sasser, Timber. Thanks. I got it cleaned up and back in business.
0 Replies

yleecoyote26

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:02 am
Have another questions for you guys. I have uninstalled the Roings from the Add/Remove Programs but when I run Adaware it still comes up for Registry. How do I find that and get rid of the Registry key for it? And the biggest question is--will it hurt anything if I do delete it. Thanks...
0 Replies

crashoveride

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 07:54 pm
it wont do anything if you delete it from the registy because it is spyware!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 09:59 pm
ylee, download HijackThis
,run it, without having it "Fix" anything yet, save the log, open a new thread here mentiong Roings, and post the log to it.
0 Replies