martial arts mix

Calis

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 09:21 pm
I got the idea that there are a few martial artists on here from another thread, so I thought I would ask something I think about alot..........

Which martial art is best for all round self defence purposes? And assuming that no single martial art will cover all the areas required, what combination of arts would be best for this?

Thoughts please Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,371 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 11:48 pm
A question like this is likely to get a hundred different answers, with no two agreeing.

My tae kwon doe instructor years ago always said that his own first choice would be sprinting.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 05:46 am
Wilso:

A karate instructor of mine would second that emotion.

I also agree that there will be different answers, but mine would be some sort of striking art(TKD or Karate) and some sort of grappling style (Jiu-Jutsu, Judo, Krav Maga).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 06:14 am
Safecracker would probably have a lot of info here. Hope he pops in.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 06:50 am
I can't remember the name of an Indonesian martial art which I would like to learn if I ever had the time. The main difference between it and the traditional asian fighting styles is that it was a "close-in" style. The name escapes me right now damnit.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 08:37 am
Wilso:

Silat?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 08:46 am
That's it!
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 09:50 am
Wilso:

The art is practiced by a character in Tom Clancy's "NetForce" novels.

That's how I've heard of it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 10:24 am
Karate and Brazilian Jiu-Jutsu are the optimal mix.

Karate is sound for as long as it's a standing fight. All fights can be taken to the ground so that's where Jiu-Jutsu kicks in.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 02:51 pm
NeoGuin wrote:
Wilso:

The art is practiced by a character in Tom Clancy's "NetForce" novels.

That's how I've heard of it.

Ditto.

I"ve done a little research on it. It is very brutal.
0 Replies

rg123

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 09:03 am
I agree with those who suggest a striking marital art combined with a grappling one.

If your primary objective is self-defense, I'd steer clear of schools that focus too much on high/flashy kicks or traditional katas with low stances or flowery moves and such.

I just can't recommend Aikido from what I've seen of it either. Using your opponent's momentum against him is a great idea, but you just can't rely on an opponent in an actual fight to lunge off balance for you. I'm not trying to trash Aikido, or say it's that simple, etc., but I'd take something else for self defense purposes.

I got a black belt in Tae Kwon Do in highschool and, frankly, while the jumping/spinning kicks are great fun and excellent exercise, they're not at all practical for a street fight. In fact, I doubt a simple kick higher than your opponent's solar plexus is worth the risk in an actual fight - and would recommend kicks lower than that.

Traditional low stances give you a lot of leverage for breaking boards, but an opponent in an actual fight isn't going to be standing there stationary like a board.

And - moving around like a praying mantis or whatever might be artistic, but we aren't praying mantises so it makes sense that other moves might be more optimum for us as human beings in a fight.

A modernized kick-boxing type approach which focuses on mobility and conditioning is probably good for the striking aspect if you're really in it for self defense - provided that it's not just focused on techniques/targets which would be legal in a ring.

When it comes to the grappling aspect - learning all the leverage and joint techniques is going to be good, but don't rule out strength training as well. It's a lot easier to put an arm-bar or wrist come-along move on somebody in a class who's cooperating than it is to put one on a guy who's a lot stronger than you in close quarters in a bar who's not just going to be standing there holding out his arm for you to do your thing on.

And, of course - It's always better to stay aware of your surroundings and avoid a fight situation if possible in the first place. Even if you prevail in a fight where you were defending yourself, you could still wind up having to deal with getting sued - and who needs that hassle, even if you wound up eventually winning the suit?
0 Replies