Buying a new Mac Powerbook . . . maybe

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 07:20 pm
I'm thinking of buying one of the new G4 Powerbooks. Anyone have any advice, suggestions, comments for a guy who is going from a tower to a Powerbook? Is there anything I should know before switching? Also, has anyone bought a new product from Apple right when it came out? Any regrets? Do you love it? Any info would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,112 • Replies: 16
No top replies

eoe

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 08:16 pm
I've got a G4 laptop. Titanium. It's about 2 1/2 years old. I love it and did all of my projects on it but kept my old desktop, a PowerComputer, for proofing. (I've got the G5 now, remember?) My husband explained to me once the difference between a laptop screen and a desktop monitor but I don't remember it now. There is a difference tho.
I was outside on the patio today, working on the laptop...'nuff said.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:11 am
I'm at the Apple Store in Soho right now. So cool! I'm not sure now whether I should get the ibook, which is what I'm on right now. Anyway, thanks for the info eoe!

This no mouse stuff is weird. It will really take some getting used to, I think.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:16 am
buy a mouse when you get the laptop - life will be so much better.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:19 am
I think I will. I think I'm falling hard for this Ibook. Smile
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:26 am
Absolutely buy a mouse!!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:33 am
Why a G4 Powerbook vs a Windows machine?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:34 am
Here we go...
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:35 am
Husker,

I was going to ask the same question...but we've been through this one so many times Wink
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:49 am
we have? I thought it was regular laptops not apples......
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:51 am
husker wrote:
Why a G4 Powerbook vs a Windows machine?

Here's my answer. I hate PCs with a passion uncontested, and I like Macs. Good enough for you? Smile
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:57 am
I like my Powerbook ... don't use it much, but its a nice machine. There were some real thorny issues revolving around the early releases of OSX, but that's been pretty much sorted out. Lots more independent online support for Apple-related stuff is popping up all the time, too. You'll be happy with a new Apple, of any flavor, I'm sure.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:57 am
husker,

I was referring to the mac vs. pc debate.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 12:01 pm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 08:10 pm
I toddle along with my early Imac (grape) - which I've recently upgraded to 9.1, always behind searching for dollars - at home, and a PC concoction with Windows XP at work. Guess which I like?
Well, you do know, since I talk about it a bit here.

So, what happened, Kicky?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 12:07 am
I'm still thinking it over. My problem is that my G3 tower is running on fumes. I keep getting a fatal hard drive error message when it crashes (which it does with more and more frequency), and the monitor is starting to go. Plus, I'm on OS 9, which is fast becoming obsolete. A buddy of mine suggested I just reformat the hard drive and install OS X, but then I still have the monitor problem, and it might not even fix the hard drive problem. I might try that first anyway. But I really liked the iBooks. Maybe soon I'll bite the bullet and just get one.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 09:03 am
kicky,

My girlfriend's got a new ibook. I think she's in love with it. I'm getting jealous of her affections for that thing Wink

*that's my way of saying, "Go buy it if it's going to stop the stress that your tower is giving you."
0 Replies