French gastronomy

farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 08:30 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
you must be Irish then. They know revolting.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 08:37 pm
@farmerman,
Now that is art-like.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 04:11 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

you must be Irish then. They know revolting.

No. Unfortunately he appears to be English.

We have a small number of individuals who are a bit thick, with their humour stuck in the dark ages.
To be funny or entertaining, he thinks it is necessary to also be offensive.

No doubt you do as we do when reading his stuff. Simply roll your eyes and yawn.
farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 05:20 am
@Lordyaswas,
I cant get by the fact that RF is a self proclaimed "lifetime gamer". Most of those folks are limited in social skills, and the really good ones are autistic.

Im having scrapple and eggs this AM. Technically, scrapple is not French but it is part of the congealed meat and naughty bits food group.

Its sorta like bird suet except you cook it and eat it (and it doesn't contain nuts and twigs)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 05:31 am
@farmerman,
Seems to be very similar to our panhas (or "Möpkenbrot", as we call it here).
farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 05:54 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yep, pretty much the same except for those whitish flecks in the mix. We don't have any whitish flecks. Looks like OSB.
panzade

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 06:34 am
@farmerman,
Never could stomach scrapple.
I'll bet there's a French equivalent.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 06:43 am
@panzade,
Probably Andouilette.

Made primarily with bull's undercarriage, although it only tastes of bull's penis.
panzade

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 06:47 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lip-smacker
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 07:54 am
@panzade,
Some French chefs swear that the andouilette whispers to them as they boil it, but I think they're talking bollocks.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 08:44 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
whitish flecks in the mix.
Bacon ("speck").
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 08:48 am
@Lordyaswas,
Different - an andouilette is more sausage-like. (I've actually some extraordinary good ones - in Paris and in in a small village in the Picardie ... where the patron told me, to try those in Paris as well.)
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 09:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Of course it's sausage like. It's a bloomin' penis fercryzake!

The only thing that I can think of that resembles the monstrosity so well described by farmer, was something akin to it that I made for the birds last winter.
All manner of glooping and melting went on in the kitchen, wherupon small jugs of seed and peanuts were brought into play, followed by serious stirring and strange smells.
The resulting slop was poured into a large glass bowl and left to cool, with the idea of producing a dome shaped delicacy to be strategically placed onto the bird table.
Dawn broke the next morning to reveal a gaggle of terrified birds on the nearby fence who did not dare to venture anywhere near the thing.
An hour later, after several attempts to pick it up, a clever squirrel pushed the thing off the bird table, and, over the course of the next hour or so, made numerous trips back and forth to pick up shattered fragments and bury them in various parts of the dormant herbacious border.

Next year I shall give them andouilette.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 09:42 am
You need a squirrel-proof bird feeder (be sure not to put it up next to any trees). Of course, that would only work as long as Lordy is ladder-proof.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 10:30 am
@Setanta,
My nylons are, but I'm not.

Our resident squirrel has actually learned to stick his tongue out at the dog.
The dog, on the other hand, has just ordered some crampons from ebay so he can chase the little bugger up the tree.
Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 10:32 am
@Lordyaswas,
If you do a web search for ""squirrel-proof bird feeders," you'll get lots of images of squirrels feeding from squirrel-proof bird feeders. I notice that were all put near a tree or the branch of a tree. Apparently, these devices are not fool-proof.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 10:42 am
@Setanta,
Clever little buggers....

farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 01:50 pm
@Lordyaswas,
a perfect Brunswick stew's gotta have some squirrel meat innit.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 10:18 am
Toilet in Sochi during the Olympic Games. Then France is better any time-

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/02/07/article-2553709-1B44376900000578-330_964x743.jpg

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 11:45 am
@saab,
Indeed. Especially, because the already have the infrastructure and not to built all out of nothing.

But in French restaurants, they often don't offer a single seat at all ...
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps77df870a.jpg