The Weirdest Thing is Happening to my Computer

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 06:58 am
Sunday night, I turned on my computer. I was greeted by a dark, streaky screen, and really weird colors. If I set the page to "Maximize, I see nothing but a smoky dark grey color. On "minimize", the color is a streaky pink, and some of the letters have little lines next to them. I sent some PMs to people, and asked them how they came out. I told them which colors I used, and they told me that it came out fine. Printing works normally.

I virus scanned, ran my Norton utilities, ran the Windows program that searches for corrupt files, and ran P.C. Pitstop. Everything passed with flying colors. I Thought that it might be the video card. A friend of a friend lent me one for testing. I switched them, and got the same thing. Then I though it might be the monitor, but when I pushed the buttons on it, the menus came up looking normal. When I tried to use my diagnostics floppy, which is in DOS, I could not even read the white on black writing, so I suspect that this is a hardware, rather than a software problem. (Maybe one of the components on the motherboard is fried?)

I was on the phone with Dell for over an hour each time twice yesterday. I think that the computer magazines are right when they say that Dell's service has deteriorated. With both techs, at every step, they had to put me on hold, probably to give them time to read the manual.

I called a repair person, but at this time of the year, I only got his answering machine. I did not expect him to call me back until after the holidays.What I plan to do is to bring the computer in to Best Buys the day after Christmas. I don't want to do it today, because then I would not have it over the 25th, and they would not be working on it anyway.

So please excuse me if I have more than my usual share of typos, Some of the letters look a little garbled, and I can't always catch the mistakes.
This afternoon, I am going to my communities cyber cafe, just to relieve the eyestrain.

I want to give fishin' a great big hug ((((HUG)))) and a "thank you". He went above and beyond in his attempts to help me!!!

Have any of you had an experience like this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,490 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 07:15 am
I can only offer sympathy, Phoenix - not elucidation.

You have not offended any Magical Persons, have you?

Good luck with the repairs - I hope it is quick.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 07:21 am
dlowan- Are you referring to the dreaded Goddess of Computers and Cyberspace? I don't know, but maybe if I put together a quick offering, she might be appeased. Waddya think?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 07:29 am
Worth a try.... we are discussing magic on the christmas digression thread - and you get a kiss, if you hurry!
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2002 11:34 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
dlowan- Are you referring to the dreaded Goddess of Computers and Cyberspace? I don't know, but maybe if I put together a quick offering, she might be appeased. Waddya think?

I believe you've stumbled onto something very important here, & I offer you a name in order to help you better target your prayers, offerings, rain dances, etc:

Eris.

...She's the Greek goddess of Chaos, Discord, Confusion, and Things You Know Not Of. Does it get any more obvious then that which deity is the overlord of the modern computer?? I think not!

Hail Eris!!! Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2002 03:20 am
I think I have found my guardian deity!!!!!

Yikes!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 09:54 pm
UPDATE! UPDATE!- After driving my husband nuts, taking the computer to a repair shop, and finding that it is ok, running back to the store to get a new video cable, and finally having a neighbor bring in his monitor to test on the computer, I finally had success. My monitor had died! Crying or Very sad It was probably the picture tube.

Anyhow, I just came from Best Buys. We bought a 19" LCD, and it is absolutely fantastic! In fact, it is too bright, and I will probably have to adjust it.

This whole experience made me realize one thing. I am totally involved with my computer. I drove my husban(and myself) completely bonkers until I got it fixed!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 08:19 pm
Knocking on wood relentlessly here.....

Glad to hear you're all better, Phoenix.

I've had my computer barely two years (time flies) and I consider myself lucky. It's an eMachine and I purchased it for a whopping $49, after rebates (yes, it came with a printer and an HP monitor). The only thing I've had to replace is the keyboard. And for $8.99, I'm not complainin at all.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:26 pm
Rae- I have mine four years, and I don't even want to tell you what I spent on this thing. At the time, it was state of the art, and now I can donate it to the Smithsonian to place it next to their dinosaur collection.

Funny thing is, it does exactly what I want it to do. (knock wood)
0 Replies