Russian Ark

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 05:19 pm
Okay, it's on tonight on digital cable in about 40 minutes. I haven't seen it yet, but have been looking forward to it. Feel free to comment while I'm gone, and I'll check in after it's done. Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,107 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 05:28 pm
That's one I missed -- let me know how you like it and I'll add it to my NetFlix rentals.

Good user rating at IMDb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0318034/
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 05:30 pm
Four stars!

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/2003/01/013106.html
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 06:16 am
I would agree with the Sun Times review. The technique used lulled me into a complete voyeuristic fantasy world, and in a sense, it felt so real...just as if one were literally walking through this magnificent landscape as an observer. I will have to watch it again, as the technique sucks you in to the detriment of the story, and there are subtitles, which I chose to ignore, just to look at the cinematography. Brilliant work...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 08:06 am
I've added it to my NetFlix Queue so I should be watching it within the next two weeks.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 05:40 am
Mmm....had the pleasure to see Russian Ark again, and caught the extremely intriguing story this time around. I also saw Winged Migration....talk about eye candy! These have to be two of the most visually stimulating flicks I've seen in a LONG time.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 07:20 am
A couple of my work colleagues saw this and absolutely raved. I read some reviews that were just overwhelmingly positive, so, I've been trying to buy a copy of the DVD for mrs. hamburger since early December. It is NOT easy to find in downtown Toronto. I seem to arrive at each shop just after they've just sold their only copy. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 11:36 am
It's absolutely incredible that it was all shot in one take.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 11:57 am
ehBeth:

RUSSIAN ARK ON DVD
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 12:03 pm
Even better deal because the shipping is free (BestBuys is 6.99, a bit high):

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=FLA005382
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 02:01 pm
Shipping to Canada is always a pain in the patootie. Thanks for locating those, lightwizard. I may have to arrange to send something to Setanta, and pick it up there. Not how I want to support my small, localish retailer, but desperate times ...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 03:07 pm
Expect to pay about CDN $34.00. I've not checked to see what DeepDiscount DVD charges to ship to Canada. You also have a Canadian Amazon.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 06:39 pm
We finally got our hands on a copy and watched it last night. It really was marvellous.

The DVD extra features were interesting - which is not always the case.

I'm going to try and get a copy when I go to NYC in October.

(anything's got to be cheaper than shipping it here)

Two and a half years since I started looking for this Confused
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 08:00 am
Free shipping and, unfortunately, cheaper than Our Shop:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=FLA005382

Isn't this the way to visit any museum instead of that dry, stale over-narration that sounds like an art professor droning on about his favorite art? Can you imagine something similar for the Museum of Modern Art, even with a star like Tom Hanks wondering through and meeting many NYC denizens, ending up with a big jazz band at the end?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 09:01 am
Lightwizard, thanks for the link. It had a link to a Canadian sister site with the same free shipping offer - and it appears to have The Russian Ark in stock. It can't get any better than that.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 12:11 pm
Too bad Amazon won't compete as their free shipping requires practically buying a library of DVD's as well as a higher price. Of course, it partially finances this site so I almost feel guilty linking to Discount DVD, but there it is -- can't fight with a good deal.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 12:13 pm
amazon.ca has some stuff, but it's limited in a number of areas.

I've got quite a nice shopping/dream list at amazon - but it doesn't often translate well to availability at amazon.ca Confused
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 12:21 pm
I usually buy on Amazon from the links to outside sellers.
0 Replies