What if there was no reserrection

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 11:18 am
Cephus wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:
Actually, this is a very simple question to answer. The apostle Paul said it best. "If Christ be not raised, YOUR FAITH IS VAIN, ye are yet in your sins" (1 Cor. 15:17).

Quite simply, unless Christ rose from the dead, He is not who He said He was.

You don't have any idea who Jesus said he was because Jesus never left any writings of his own. At best, you have the writings of third parties who *CLAIM* that Jesus made claims but you cannot prove that they are accurate in any way.

You are absolutely right that Jesus left no writings of his own. And if that is what you wish to base your disbelief on, that is your right. I choose to believe for a number of various reasons and will be the first to admit that these reasons are faith based. There are several compelling books out there where individuals back up our belief in Christ through more than just faith, so I will not make any attempt to do so here.

I answered a question that was put forth to start this thread. I try not to get into any big debates about my faith, because quite frankly I don't see the point in doing so. But don't pretend to make claims about me. I have a very good idea of who Jesus is. You need not believe that, but that is your right.
0 Replies

Cephus

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 02:59 am
CoastalRat wrote:
You are absolutely right that Jesus left no writings of his own. And if that is what you wish to base your disbelief on, that is your right. I choose to believe for a number of various reasons and will be the first to admit that these reasons are faith based. There are several compelling books out there where individuals back up our belief in Christ through more than just faith, so I will not make any attempt to do so here.

That's your right, of course. I base my disbelief on the clear and present evidence that the Bible is bunk. The stories of the resurrection were largely taken from pre-existing pagan sources, just as most of the NT was. There's little reason to believe that Jesus actually lived at all and if he did, he was nothing more than one of hundreds of street corner saviors that were wandering around Palestine at the time.

The facts simply do not support Christianity, sorry. There is no more validity to "having faith" in Jesus than there is for a 6-year old "having faith" that Santa Claus is coming to leave presents.

Quote:
I answered a question that was put forth to start this thread. I try not to get into any big debates about my faith, because quite frankly I don't see the point in doing so. But don't pretend to make claims about me. I have a very good idea of who Jesus is. You need not believe that, but that is your right.

Well, you have empty claims and unsupported beliefs about who Jesus was at least. If you want to believe it, fine and dandy with me, just don't go around telling people that your beliefs are true, you simply have no way to back that claim up.
0 Replies