Tony Blair's U-Turn

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 09:14 am
Tony Blair has apparently decided to hold a referendum with the British people on the European constitution. Blair made comments to BBC Radio 4's Today program saying a referendum may be necessary because of conservative threats to renegotiate the treaty. The Constitution is expected to be agreed upon by the end of June and will replace older EU treaties. The prime minister had previously said a referendum is unnecessary because the treaty would not change the British relationship with the EU. Downing Street announced that Foreign Secretary Jack Straw will make a statement to MPs on Tuesday about the possible referendum on the constitution. The poll will likely be taken after general elections.

Quote:
Blair to make EU poll statement
Prime Minister Tony Blair will make a statement to MPs on Tuesday about a possible referendum on the planned EU constitution, Number 10 has said. British voters look set to get a vote on the issue in what is being seen as a major U-turn by Tony Blair.

The Conservatives and Liberal Democrats have welcomed the government's apparent change of heart.

Tory leader Michael Howard said there was "no reason at all" why a vote should not take place this autumn.

Judge for themselves?

Mr Howard has already criticised suggestions the government will wait until after the next general election before holding a vote.

He said there was "no justification" for Parliament to spend months discussing the issue when people might just then reject the proposal.

"I think it should be held as soon as possible," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

The constitution is expected to be agreed by EU leaders by the end of June.
It will replace earlier European Union treaties and is designed to streamline decision making, when the EU enlarges from 15 to 25 members in May.

Bob Worcester, founder of the polling company Mori, said he thought the result of a referendum was likely to be "extremely close".

The prime minister has previously said the vote was unnecessary because the treaty would not fundamentally alter Britain's relationship with the EU.

But on Saturday he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme Conservative threats to renegotiate the treaty, if they were successful in the European elections, could make a poll necessary.

"The thing that has changed recently is a radical change in the Conservative position, which is no longer to say they don't support this constitutional treaty, but they would renegotiate it if it was passed," he said.
Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott told BBC Radio 4's The World This Weekend Mr Blair was simply "listening to the argument" over an EU poll.

The new constitution must be approved by parliament within two years.
The Conservatives planned to make the referendum a central issue of their campaign for the European elections on 10 June.

But Mr Howard told Today there were "many other issues" at stake in that election.

The Liberal Democrats, who support the constitution, have also called for a referendum on the issue.

Sir Menzies Campbell, Liberal Democrat foreign affairs spokesman, said: "If these reports are true they will represent an enormous volte-face on the part of the government."

A spokesman for the UK Independence Party - which campaigns for withdrawal from the EU - said: "Whatever the government says this is a referendum about being in or out of the European Union."

The constitution has been drafted by the European Convention but member states have not been able to decide on a final agreement.

For the constitution
Prime Minister Tony Blair
Most Labour MPs
Liberal Democrats
Most trade unions
A handful of Tory MPs

Against the constitution
Tory leader Michael Howard
Most Tory MPs
About 60 Labour MPs
UK Independence Party
Business for Sterling group

SOURCE

Quote:

Anatomy of a U-turn

Monday April 19, 2004
The Guardian

May 18 2003
Peter Hain, the leader of the house, said: "Those starting a campaign for a referendum might as well put away their placards ... we are not going to do it."

May 27 2003
Denmark's prime minister, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, confirms that his country will hold a referendum on the new EU treaty. He said: "What is at stake is so big it is right to hold a referendum."

May 28 2003
Tony Blair rejects calls for a public vote: "We don't govern in this country by referendum..."

June 17 2003
Foreign secretary, Jack Straw, echoes the prime minister's comments: "We have had a referendum for the UK as a whole only on one occasion in the past. That was on the open and shut issue of whether we stayed in the then common market ... in 1975."

September 9 2003
The prime minister again insists that a referendum is not needed because the treaty would not create a "federal superstate", adding it would be "good for Britain and good for Europe".

October 18 2003
Reiterating his firm stance, Mr Blair said: "There will not be a referendum. The reason is that the constitution does not fundamentally change the relationship between the UK and the EU."

April 16 2004
Conservative leader, Michael Howard, following reports of a possible u-turn on the referendum, said: "It is a very simple matter. We can have a very simple decision and we ought to be told what the government's intentions are."

April 17 2004
Mr Blair says on the Today programme. "Our policy has not changed and if there is any question of it changing, we will tell you."

April18 2004
John Prescott confirms the PM is "listening to the argument" for a referendum, indicating the change in direction. "We do consult the people where we think it is justified and necessary," he said.

SOURCE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 853 • Replies: 12
No top replies

kitchenpete

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 11:12 am
Walter,

This clearly doesn't interest many participants on a2k, and I didn't spot it until now.

I think Tony was caught in a position from which there was no way out except the "EU" turn!

I'm concerned that there will be a "Europhobic" reaction against certain terms of the constitution, not reflecting the benefits of the whole and carried on a tide of right wing media comment.

But I suppose the country ought to be grown-up enough to realise that the EU isn't a disaster and might actually do the UK some good.

I'm not feeling very positive about that supposition, as of today.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 11:48 am
I know/knew, pete, about the non-reactions here, since it's "international" :wink:

"Europhobic" could win this 'battle', I fear. And that especially, since the contra site uses 'facts' which aren't fact at all but rip deep into the heart of any "true" (conservative) Englishman, Welsman, Scotsman, Northern Irelander.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 03:52 pm
I was interested!

Why has he done it?
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 03:05 am
I was watching "Newsnight", last night, which indicated that there's a clear political motivation to separate this issue from other election processes (European elections this summer, General Election in about 12 months, probably).

In addition, the change is Spanish government has made negotiation on the terms of the constitution easier, they were saying. Quite how this is so, I don't understand but there are division lines between the "big" countries: Germany, France, UK and the slightly smaller economies of Spain and Poland over how the voting systems will work on European issues, following the constitution.

Still a bit confused by the decision and I think it will be fascinating to see the media and public react to the debate on what's in the document.

KP
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 03:27 am
Tony Blair is aiming at obtaining an EU positon.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 03:34 am
I don't get it. Has he made the U-Turn, or are they just speculating that he might? Also, is there any reason to believe it wouldn't pass anyway?

Personally, I think such a U-turn by popular demand would serve to demonstrate Tony's ability to lead. I would respect him even more. I can't even imagine a public outcry here great enough to bring a referendum.

Aside, I find it absolutely disgusting that with all of the wealth in the US, we wouldn't even qualify to join. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 05:47 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Aside, I find it absolutely disgusting that with all of the wealth in the US, we wouldn't even qualify to join. Embarrassed

It's the EUROPEAN Union, Bill, and the question here is about the EU constitution :wink:

In these minutes, Tony Blair was setting out the reasons behind his decision to hold a referendum on the new European constitution in parliament:

Tony Blair opened his statement by saying the foreign secretary would be publishing a white paper on Europe on Tuesday.
European enlargement was a "historic" step and would transform Europe within a few years, said Mr Blair.
"I say unhesitatingly that enlargement is right for Britain and for Europe," the prime minister continued.
Mr Blair said the new-shape Europe had to be centred around "sovereign states".
That meant keeping the national veto on key issues during the negotiations on the new treaty this summer, he said.
Mr Blair said "myths" about the new constitution had been spread by politicians and parts of the media hostile to the project.
It was wrong, for instance, to suggest that the Queen would be replaced as the head of state, said the prime minister.
It was wrong, for instance, to suggest that the Queen would be replaced as the head of state, said the prime minister.
It was already agreed that Britain would keep its right to control its borders, he said, and its criminal justice system was not at stake.
Mr Blair said Parliament should debate the treaty once agreed "then let the people have the final say".
The referendum would focus on the new constitution but its implications would go wider, he argued.
"It is time to resolve whether this country, Britain, wants to be at the centre and heart of European decision making or not," said Mr Blair.

The prime minister finished speaking at 1240 BST, leaving Conservative leader Michael Howard to respond.
You can follow here:LIVE LATEST
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 05:52 am
Cute joke, and thanks for the explanation and link!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 05:54 am
Sound and video too! Too cool! Thanks again!
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 07:59 pm
Blair regrets U-turn on EU referendum.

The Times
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 02:24 am
Well, perhaps not really, satt :wink:

Brown takes control as EU fiasco leaves Blair isolated
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 02:37 am
Handover of power is expected? Possibly.
(I already suggested that Tony Blair was aiming at a post in the EU. Rolling Eyes)
0 Replies