where is the missing link???

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 06:40 am
there seem to be a lot of gaps in the evolutionary chain of man!
scientists suggest that the magnetic poles flip by either 90 or 180 deg every 15000 yrs or so, from this one could assume that Antarctica has been periodically free of ice? if this is so, could it be possible that remnants of ancient civilisations or even the missing link(s) are still preserved deep within the ice????????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,094 • Replies: 12
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 06:52 am
@moe247146,
To which missing links do you refer?
Do you think old civilizations head to the frozen country to die?
rosborne979

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 09:00 am
@moe247146,
moe247146 wrote:
scientists suggest that the magnetic poles flip by either 90 or 180 deg every 15000 yrs or so, from this one could assume that Antarctica has been periodically free of ice?

No. The change in magnetic orientation has no effect on climate. And Antarctica hasn't been free of ice in many millions of years (back when the continents were in different locations), long before humans had evolved.
Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 10:00 am
Just hold on now . . . i've got the link here somewhere. It was on the desk just yesterday . . . hold on . . .

Well i'll be go to hell . . . it's gone missing!
neologist

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 12:13 pm
@Setanta,
I don't believe you had it on your desk, Set.

I'll bet you're just funnin us.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 12:21 pm
@moe247146,
Quote:
scientists suggest that the magnetic poles flip by either 90 or 180 deg every 15000 yrs or so, from this one could assume that Antarctica has been periodically free of ice?

The flipping of the magnetic poles doesn't change the tilt of the earth or it's orbit. Is the North Pole free of ice? Why would the South Pole become free of ice if it becomes the North pole?
moe247146

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 04:56 pm
@parados,
below the ice is a huge land mass. the ice was not always there. besides it was just a pondering I had lol I was a scientist or something I wouldn't need to ask silly questions =)
moe247146

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 04:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
no but, it was not always covered in ice I was just thinking that maybe there are remnants below the ice perhaps fossils or structures
0 Replies

moe247146

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 05:05 pm
@rosborne979,
whether or not the reversal of the earths magnetic poles affects the climate or not is unknown to me but wherever the Antarctic plate has been in the past it was not always covered in ice and it would be foolish to presume that no creature man or other has ever been on the continent. I was just pondering that perhaps there is something below the ice or even in it. perhaps remnants of fossils or structures??
moe247146

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 05:10 pm
@parados,
nobody is suggesting that the earth is going to do a handstand?????
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 05:41 pm
@moe247146,
moe247146 wrote:

whether or not the reversal of the earths magnetic poles affects the climate or not is unknown to me but wherever the Antarctic plate has been in the past it was not always covered in ice and it would be foolish to presume that no creature man or other has ever been on the continent. I was just pondering that perhaps there is something below the ice or even in it. perhaps remnants of fossils or structures??

The last time the antarctic plate was uncovered by ice was well before any humans had ever evolved. So there would not be any human structures there from that time. However, I believe there are dinosaur fossils in the antarctic and I believe several specimens have come from there.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 06:09 pm
@moe247146,
moe247146 wrote:

below the ice is a huge land mass. the ice was not always there. besides it was just a pondering I had lol I was a scientist or something I wouldn't need to ask silly questions =)

The land mass was not always at the pole. The flip of the magnetic poles won't move Antarctica. The movement of the continents is much slower and may take millions of years before that happens.
0 Replies

Jack of Hearts

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 02:34 pm
@moe247146,

The missing links are shape-shifters (like on TV's "Grimm"). My first wife was one. Trust me; they live among us.
0 Replies