FOOD ADDITIVES THAT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 10:36 am
Last night I planned to make my especial scallops Vladzu. It consists of butter browned sea scallops in a special sauce. WELL. I bought some scallops at the fish monger at the GIANT MARKET. I was assured that these were "DRY PACKED" scallops. When I started cooking them, the foamy water that signifies the SODIUM METAPHOSPHATE soak used by scallop packers was quite evident. We had no especial New Years dinner. We ordered a pizza, and threw the scallps in a plastic Tupperware dish , and I shall make whatever hell I need to so that I get satisfaction at having a ruined New Years dinner .
My complaint here is that, HOW AND HELL can food processors get away with soaking foods in a solution of sht like Sodium Metaphosphate merely to maintain the weight of the product. It seems that thieve even found a way to add some colorant to the soak so that the scallops don't look all washed out and grey but have a hint of pink like real dry packed ones.
Im really pissed at the food industry for this ****.
Many pices of seafood are soaked in this stuff to prevent against weight loss in shipping. It actually gives a phony bitter taste to the seafood and disallows any browning (Which is critical to my recipe)

Other additives that Ive learnt to avoid are "Train ripened " tomatoes that taste like the paper wrappers., or "brined anything, xsince the food folks also use metaphosphate in the brine, thus guaranteeing an off flavor in chicken, turkey, or beef
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 4,023 • Replies: 59

Ceili

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 11:14 am
@farmerman,
Wow. Didn't know this. Thanks.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 11:22 am
@farmerman,
the ham I made gram for christmas was 23% not ham by weight.

scary ****...
maxdancona

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 11:27 am
@farmerman,
You should try a little acytyl-tetrahydropyridine. That will brown those scallops nicely. And, if you soak them in a little a little tetrasodium pyrophosphate it will take care of the bitterness.

No kitchen should be with out either of these.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 12:13 pm
The whole food chain in the USA is fucked, in the name of profit.
farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 05:47 pm
@Ceili,
always buy dry pack scallops with a gurantee. (I got DOUBLE my money bck today from the Market tht sold me the adulterated scallops. Even the seafood manager (who worked today) was annoyed at how many returns they got. Im sure, from now on, they will make sure that their "Dry pack" scallops and fish are not treated for water retention
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 05:48 pm
@Rockhead,
You gotta read the labels, if theres anything in thre that has even a hint of a polyphosphate, don't get it cause at the least it can cause diahhrea and imprt a bad bitter taste . I think hams use mostly salt water as an additive
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 06:00 pm
@maxdancona,
never ever heard of a food usage for the tetrahydropyridine so I looked it up and saw that it does enhnce the Maillard reaction which is responsible for the rendering of sugars and complex flavors in browning. I don't think it would have overcome the polyphosphate which just foame=s out of the food being cooked

ALL polyphosphates are bitter and have no place in foods (if one wants to enjoy TASTE of the food)

I recall from drilling days we used a series of complex hex and polyphosphate salts from CALGON and Id always have to shower up before lunch or the food would taste very bitter just from the gel powders nd calgon salts wed use to loosen clay frmations
farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 06:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
I AGREE>ALL of our shipped- in fruits veggies and meats are treated ONLY to enhance weight and protect against spoilage. Taste and healthy conditions have no translation to profits.

NOW is the time of year that I refuse to eat any tomatoes or strawberries since they are just ethylene gassed while green and have no sugars at all
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 06:21 pm
@farmerman,
You do realize I was just joking ... right? The idea of suggesting more additives to address the problems of the original additives made me chuckle (and I thought it might give you a chuckle too). Maybe it wasn't that funny.

But yeccch!
farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 06:53 pm
@maxdancona,
I didn't know a damn thing about the food dditive use of the pyrimidine but when I looked it up I saw that it could be used to enhnce BROWNING (which was where I wanted to go). Then when I looked at your stuff on metaphiophates or hexametas or poly or any such group of compouns, I sorta then got the idea that it was a goof.
Are you a cook? hve you ever used the pyrimidine salts to enhance browning?
I often add sugars to things to enhance browning .

BUT, back to this topic. Im just happy that the supermarket fishmongers realized that THEY GOT HOZED also by their suppliers. It turns out that they could eas
ily track the source of the scallops and it happened to be offshore (but not a third world country like Wales)

Germlat

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 06:56 pm
@farmerman,
I'm wondering what pizza take out or delivery is not drowned with preservatives and food additives.
farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 07:03 pm
@Germlat,
Restaurant foods have different road , they don't, for some reason, have to show ingredients unless one of their dishes has a known potential for anaphylaxis or severe allergy potential .

I suppose we could look up information about additives in Domino's pizza or Pizza Hut. Im sure they have a "Hitmeter" that will sound in corporate information as to such questions appearing on a PBB or a blog.
roger

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 07:44 pm
@Germlat,
Mine is drowned in a thin, luscious, hot grease.
farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 06:03 am
@roger,
I know that many of the ingredients used in some Asian foods can cause immune reactions.

Pizza is just wrong, why not just inject lipids and saccharides right into your bloodstream and gget it over with.

Another really suspect food is POP TARTS.
I don't think that there is one thing that wont kill you in a Pop Tart.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 06:27 am
Many major food brands blatantly use hydrogenated oils, still. Pillsbury and Nabisco, for instance. You can't buy tubes of biscuits in Kroger or HEB that are hydrogenated oil free, in my part of the world.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 09:29 pm
@farmerman,
I live in a coastal region yet some seafood items that are passed as fresh taste like maybe slight combo ammonia/sulphur? I'm quite sensitive to the taste. Could they be flash frozen? What do you think is the problem?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 10:33 pm
@farmerman,
I went to Santa Monica seafood, 16th and colorado - and liked anything I got from there. They moved and expanded, and I take it after my time there started shipping at large, and also moving. I don't know how they are now. I don't know re ownership and all that. I just know I trusted them then.
farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 06:13 pm
@Germlat,
ammonia usually comes from seafood that is "off". Sulfur can be a start of H2S gas that can be given off if the seafood is spoiled a bit.

Mot seafood additives were Chlorine gas and those phosphate salts (They are really a "detergent' which emulsifies fats nd slips into the muscle tissue by holding more ater. Its a tool to try to increase weight. The markets basically say "Screw the flavor" that's not our problem
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 06:17 pm
@ossobuco,
Its kinda hard for me to drive to Santa Monica for scallops.
Ill just wait till the "Day Boat Guys" open for the season in Februry. That's hul down to Chestertown Md. Eastern Shore Seafoods are goodbecause there are so mny of them and no one will stay open if they don't sell good stuff.

This market that I bought the tainted scallops was selling scallops from a new supplier (which they've summarily dropped because several customers like me complained and the markets policy of "double your money back" cost them several thousand bucks for 2 days of seasonal sales)