the human being is powerless

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 02:25 pm
concept:
existence cannot be conceptualized because it is prior to thought. if existence cannot be conceptualized, it is not an object. if not object, then not subject to time.
what appears as reality (object) is the unreal. like a cartoon. flip the pages, the characters change positions, but nothing actually happens. no 'thing' is doing anything. action but no actor.
conceptualization has no author. thinking but no thinker. ask this: what's the next thought? what's the next thought? there is no response. the mind is quiet. quiet because and idea asks the question. you are not the thinker. the mind is in the painting. how could it ever identify the painter?
buddha called thought the 6th sense. you do nothing to hear, see ,feel, taste, smell, or think. you are powerless. the powerless witnessing of manifestation. that's why jesus said: 'forgive them for they know not what they do.' there is no doer of deeds. thought, like any other object, appears spontaneously.
i am either the body/mind writing this or i am prior for it is being experienced. i cannot be both. like an apple cannot taste itself. therefore i am prior to concept. jeus also said: 'i am not god but of god.' and nissargadatta: 'i take my stand prior to all. i am the primal ground.'
consider all that appears to occur an accident. there must be a witness to testify to the accident. like standing on the corner waiting for a car wreck. but there is no one there, only witnessing.
what am i? what am i? inquire until it is seen that no one is inquiring.
when man sees that man is an idea, peace on earth. for if no thought, identify the enemy.
a young boy asked socrates: 'if i am not the thinker, what should i do?' the reply: 'just go on thinking that you think.'
rest easy. whatever the station in life, it could be no other way.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,001 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 02:58 pm
@swingtrade2,
swingtrade2 wrote:

concept:
existence cannot be conceptualized because it is prior to thought.

Sez who?

Quote:
if existence cannot be conceptualized, it is not an object. if not object, then not subject to time.

Sez who?

Quote:
what appears as reality (object) is the unreal. like a cartoon. flip the pages, the characters change positions, but nothing actually happens. no 'thing' is doing anything. action but no actor.

Sez who?

Quote:
conceptualization has no author. thinking but no thinker. ask this: what's the next thought? what's the next thought? there is no response. the mind is quiet. quiet because and idea asks the question. you are not the thinker. the mind is in the painting. how could it ever identify the painter?

Marsy dotes and dosey dotes and little ambsydivy.

Quote:
buddha called thought the 6th sense. you do nothing to hear, see ,feel, taste, smell, or think. you are powerless. the powerless witnessing of manifestation. that's why jesus said: 'forgive them for they know not what they do.' there is no doer of deeds. thought, like any other object, appears spontaneously.

Really? You are quite sure of this?

How?

Quote:
i am either the body/mind writing this or i am prior for it is being experienced. i cannot be both.

Sez who?

Quote:
like an apple cannot taste itself.

Neither can a tangerine. But so what?

Quote:
therefore i am prior to concept.

Therefore???? You are just joking, right?

Quote:
jeus also said: 'i am not god but of god.' and nissargadatta: 'i take my stand prior to all. i am the primal ground.'

I think that was George A. Custer...not Jesus.

Quote:
consider all that appears to occur an accident. there must be a witness to testify to the accident. like standing on the corner waiting for a car wreck. but there is no one there, only witnessing.

And if there is no witness...does that mean that there is no accident?

Quote:
what am i? what am i?

Someone who repeats him/herself.

Quote:
inquire until it is seen that no one is inquiring.

Who is going to do the inquiring?

Quote:
when man sees that man is an idea, peace on earth. for if no thought, identify the enemy.

This is just what we needed. One more of these people!

Quote:
a young boy asked socrates: 'if i am not the thinker, what should i do?' the reply: 'just go on thinking that you think.'
rest easy. whatever the station in life, it could be no other way.

Thank you, Oh Enlightened One.

Just having a bit of fun with ya, Swing! You gotta come on just a bit slower!

Wink
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 03:48 am
@swingtrade2,
Your meditational conclusions are familiar and generally sound, except for your treatment of the word "power". The fact that a self is communicating here means that there is a level of "existence" called "the worldly" in which "the self " appears to have limited power in what it sees as "a separate world"(samsara). In meditational mode of course, such selves tend to dissipate within the flux and "power" like any other concept(=self product) becomes meaningless.
In short the evocation of the concept "human being" is at the same level of discourse/existence of the evocation of the concept "power". They are co-dependent.
0 Replies

G H

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 11:44 am
@swingtrade2,
swingtrade2 wrote:
concept: existence cannot be conceptualized because it is prior to thought. if existence cannot be conceptualized, it is not an object. if not object, then not subject to time.

Generalizations like "existence" aren't going to be concrete, physical or empirical sensory objects, anyway (unless one could actually find / isolate distinct neural structures in brains as corresponding to the concepts, and argue that such cause / origin is also the ideas / principles themselves or their practical utilization in speech, print, action, etc).

In a Kantian vein, concepts would be the very pre-conditions necessary for thought and cognition / understanding of specific phenomena. Though in naturalism such an installed operating system would switch from the philosophers' language furniture [crouched in transcendental context] to quite material biological or electronic / programming substrates.
0 Replies