The Lives They Loved - NY Times mag. Mesmerizing.

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 05:31 pm
"As part of the magazine's annual The Lives They Lived issue, publishing in print on Dec. 29, we invited readers to contribute a photograph and a story of someone close to them who died this year. Additional stories will be added in the coming days."

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2013/lives-they-loved/

I think obituaries are snap biographies, for better or worse. Often I have no interest and other times, I've a lot of interest - it depends. This is a series of a year's worth of comments and photos of people who died in that time. Just scanning the photos and short comments is interesting, to me anyway. The beehive of life and death, shown plain.

I used to subscribe to the Times, but now I have the usual 10 free clicks a month rule going on and don't know if clicking on some of these items will shut me down for the next month. Anyone know?

I don't even know if these are from actual obituaries, since of course I don't - almost ever - click on those. Maybe some are additive to obituaries.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,609 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 09:48 pm
@ossobuco,
I took a look and became as expected an emotional wreck in very short order.

That shouldn't particularly surprise me since this happens regularly when reading actual obits. which has been my habit since I was 14 and my father visited the kitchen one last time. Maybe this is a normal thing for people to do when they lose a parent at that age and in a way beyond true comprehension. Not important on that matter though, point being I read obits and often am moved.

The article to which you attached does not seem to be taking from direct obits, rather it is giving short recollections of various individuals on people in their lives who died during the past year. Were these writings part of the originational is unknown to me as I haven't looked up the primary obituary for any of them (though likely I will on a few...if not all).

Neither does there seem to be an actual limit to just 10 for the monthly run. At present my fingers have clicked on more than a dozen and still no pop-up memo about the limit amount. (perhaps because it is thought of as 1 article) (hope that would be the same for you osso and any others who may be inclined to take a look)

So, rather than continue blathering, just a simple thank you for providing the link. It's appreciated.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 09:57 pm
@Sturgis,
that's good to know, re the clicks.
I'm glad you get me..
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 12:05 am
Still enjoying and reading through. Very touching and in many cases inspiring.
0 Replies