io error

Roberta

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 04:21 pm
Every time I try to play one of my online games, I'm told that I have an io error. I went to google to investigate. All cures that I could find required a download. I don't know what's legit and what isn't.

So I check my free AVG software. I had something I could use to clean up my computer. A one-time free download. It found thousands of problems and theoritically fixed them all. It took over an hour.

When the problems were fixed, I went to play my game. io error. I laughed.

Do I have to download something to get rid of the error? If so, what's safe and easy. I don't want my computer to explode, and I'm a computer idiot.

Anyone who chooses to answer this: Please talk to me with the assumption that I know nothing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 951 • Replies: 8
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 06:18 pm
I think you missed a slash, that is, what you saw was "i/o error". That means, simply put, a disk drive error. Is this a game you burned to a disk?
Roberta

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 06:59 pm
@contrex,
I have never downloaded the game. And I have no idea how to burn something to a disk.

I went back to google. Some say i/o and others say io. I'm sure the game says io.

I can't check now because I went back to the game and I got in. However, this has happened before. In and then not in.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 07:42 pm
@Roberta,
I’m not an expert on computers by any means but if you ran AVG and found that many problems my guess is you have some malware that wasn’t detected by AVG. Do you have Microsoft Security Essentials? If not you can down load it from here and it will check your registry files as well.

Microsoft Security Essentials
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2013 07:54 pm
@Roberta,
I/O Errors are not usually associated with viruses. It's more likely that your computer is developing a hardware issue, probably with the disk drive (which is where all your data is stored).

How old is your computer? Is it Windows or Mac? Do you have backups already?
Roberta

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 12:25 am
@rosborne979,
jc, The AVG checked and fixed the registry problems.

rosborne, My computer is Windows 2002. What do you mean by backups? I don't have anything ready. You're making me noivous.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2013 12:03 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

rosborne, My computer is Windows 2002. What do you mean by backups? I don't have anything ready. You're making me noivous.

He means have you saved any important files that are presently on your hard drive in any other place other then your computer's hard drive? A separate removable hard drive? Or some cloud based storage site online? He's asking just in case your computer has a hardware failure whereas you may lose any important files because you can't turn on your computer due to said hardware failure.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2013 02:27 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Hi Roberta, Tsar is right, that's what I was talking about.

You should have backups (copies) of anything in your computer that you think is important (anything you don't want to lose). You should do this regardless of any errors you machine may be having, it's just good general practice.

Beyond that, I'm concerned that your hard drive (the main place all your files are stored) may be failing. It sounds like your computer is over 10 years old now so it wouldn't be too surprising to have a hard drive fail.

With a computer that age (even though almost anything is repairable), I think it's more cost effective to replace it completely than to try to have it fixed. A techie nerd could probably put a second drive in and mirror it, but I doubt that's something you want to do yourself. And paying someone else to do it will cost almost as much as a new machine (which you might enjoy anyway just for the speed increases and additional software which is supported).
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2013 03:21 pm
I appreciate the info and the concern. I have absolutely positively no money for a new computer or a new anything. And I didn't understand much of the rest of what you said.

However, the AVG thing did some defragmenting or whatever. At the moment things are fine.

Sigh, I hate being a computer idiot. Sorry to be so dense.
0 Replies