Plea For MORE Legal Enforcement of Speeding Laws

maporsche

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 07:31 pm
@BillRM,
It's not the safe speed of the ROAD BillRM. It's the safe speed of the traffic. The people. The pedestrians.

The speed limit protects YOU from people who are not able to make correct decisions on a safe speed.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 07:36 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
What I usually see (and what I suspect is far more frequent) is that the speed limit is 55, the 'flow' of traffic is more like 65, and the 'slow' drivers are simply obeying the speed limit.

In that case, it's not the person going 55 and obeying the law that's causing the problem, is the speeders.

I disagree. I say it's the speed limit that's causing the problem. The speed limit needs to be increased to 65.

I agree with max and BillRM.

Shocked
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 07:37 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Therefor the limit is set at 55 (or whatever) you error on the side of safety for everyone.

Once more the 55 national speed limit of 55 could not be maintain as the public got sick of it with special note of out west where distances of the average travel tend to be far greater then in the east.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 07:38 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
The speed limit protects YOU from people who are not able to make correct decisions on a safe speed.

Then they should not be given licenses if they are that poor drivers.
maporsche

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 07:46 pm
@BillRM,
Agreed. But they are. I wouldn't trust 1/3rd of the population with driving a car if it were up to me.
BillRM

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 07:53 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Agreed. But they are. I wouldn't trust half the population with driving a car if it were up to me.

That fine however cars are the means that we moved around and get the business of the nation done.

Technology up to completely computer control cars might be the solution in a few years/decades.

Right now we have cars in production that if they sense a collision will apply the brakes themselves.

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_driverless_car

Google driverless car
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not to be confused with Google Drive or GMail Drive.

Toyota Prius modified to operate as a Google driverless car driving a test course.[1]
The Google driverless car is a project by Google that involves developing technology for autonomous cars. The software powering Google's cars is called Google Chauffeur.[2] Lettering on the side of each car identifies it as a "self-driving car." The project is currently being led by Google engineer Sebastian Thrun, director of the Stanford Artificial Intelligence Laboratory and co-inventor of Google Street View. Thrun's team at Stanford created the robotic vehicle Stanley which won the 2005 DARPA Grand Challenge and its US$2 million prize from the United States Department of Defense.[3] The team developing the system consisted of 15 engineers working for Google, including Chris Urmson, Mike Montemerlo, and Anthony Levandowski who had worked on the DARPA Grand and Urban Challenges.[4]

The U.S. state of Nevada passed a law on June 29, 2011 permitting the operation of autonomous cars in Nevada. Google had been lobbying for robotic car laws.[5][6][7] The Nevada law went into effect on March 1, 2012, and the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles issued the first license for an autonomous car in May 2012. The license was issued to a Toyota Prius modified with Google's experimental driverless technology.[8] As of April 2012, Florida became the second state to allow the testing of autonomous cars on public roads.[9] California became the third state to legalize the use of self-driven cars for testing purposes as of September 2012 when Governor Jerry Brown signed the bill into law at Google HQ in Mountain View.[10]
BillRM

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 08:01 pm
@BillRM,
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 08:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

the Highway Patrol is concentrating on writing DUI tickets,

Only you would say that. The police are not just looking for drunk drivers, although it’s good they are, they’re also looking for speeders! Speed kills!
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 08:09 pm
@maporsche,
Hmmm MaPorsche

You said

Quote:
A driver is 6 times more likely to have an accident at 25% above the speed limit (ex. Going 44mph in a 35mph zone)

The source you linked to said

Quote:
A driver is 6 times more likely to have an accident when traveling at 25% above the average speed (examples: 44/35 mph zone; 69/55 mph zone; 88/70 mph zone).

There is a big difference between average speed and speed limit (although I notice that the web page pushes you into making this error with their own examples).
maxdancona

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 08:16 pm
Ma,

I actually think there is a good argument to be made for lowering the speed limit. The increase in the number of accidents rates is well-documented.

I tend to react to a weak argument even if I agree with the conclusion.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 08:32 pm
@maxdancona,
Ok. So if the average speed is above the speed limit. Than you are MORE than 6 times as likely to get into an accident than if you are going the speed limit, correct (assuming the 6X number is correct)
roger

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 08:36 pm
@maporsche,
Our highways are not set for 55 mph. It's 70. If it were 55 and the overwhelming majority of drivers were doing 70 the speed limit should be raised to 70. Most of us know what we are doing and the law should reflect that.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 08:40 pm
@maporsche,
The claim is that if you are going 25% higher than the average speed then you are 6 times more likely to have an accident.

If you are going the average speed, you are not going higher than the average speed. Right?

The fact that the average speed is above the speed limit has nothing to do with this basic mathematical fact.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 09:33 pm
So sorry I spoke up in the male coliloquy.
I don't take my views as any more stupid than the next persons.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 10:18 am
There's a street near my home that has a posted speed limit of 35 mph. I drive this road several times a week.

(Danica Patrick famously (at least locally) once got a speeding ticket driving on this particular stretch of road. I believe she was going 54 mph -- which isn't really all that fast on this particular road.)

The stretch in question is about a mile long, and it's one of those 5 lane jobs (2 lanes each way, and a center turning lane), and it rarely has any other traffic besides my car -- it's wide open. Driving 35 mph on this road is agonizingly slow, and there is simply no reason for that speed. I try to keep it to 45 driving on it, but 50 feels about right.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2013 08:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
One person I've known who raced cars at a very high level was our Dyslexia, and on the road, he was the safest driver on earth.

I've seen some article in the last few days about most race car drivers being safety wise on the road. Sorry, no link.

I assume there are exceptions, and know of at least one, but he was a fast car designer. He rode highways - after getting out of town - fast in the middle of the night, or so he told me. (He lived downstairs, I sold him my godforsaken chevy van to get rid of it.)

I road raced motorcycles for a few years and I think there are two things at work.

1. After being on a race track and experiencing how fast you can really go, going a little bit fast on the street doesn't have near as much attraction. I imagine this is the same for cars.

2. You do learn valuable skills about how to handle a vehicle at any speed.

I think safety has a lot more to do with ability and not being attentive. Speed makes things worse for sure, but it is secondary to the cause of an accident.

I am interested if you (maporsche) drive a Porsche. Do you always drive the speed limit. Any Porsche is a performance car.

0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 11:00 pm
No answer to my question? I have a hard time accepting a Porsche driver wanting a 55 mph speed limit. That's what, the end of first gear?
Ceili

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 03:21 am
I'm sorry about your sister. I hope she has a speedy and full recovery.
First, let me say that we agree that our roads are dangerous. And that there are many problems that need to be fixed.
But speed ain't necessarily the problem.
Illogical speed limits are. Among other problems.
There are many countries that do not have posted speed limits and do not suffer that accidents we have in N. America. In the areas where limits are not enforced, traffic regulates itself.
In fact, speed related infractions are often inflated by the media and the police. Most speed violations are within 10-20 km (5-12mph) over the limit. And most tickets given are generally in areas where speed is not an issue. Artificial speed traps...
There are practical solutions to most traffic problems and speed zones - as in areas where high pedestrian traffic or schools are present are smart. However, schizophrenic speed limits usually do more harm than good. Residential streets, main roads, freeways, should be the SAME speed, all the time. Unless, there is construction. Residential, high pedestrian, parks - slow, main roads - through a high traffic areas, medium, and freeways, highways undetermined.. I lived in an area where speeds slip back and forth at whim, and where do the police sit?
The point is, this doesn't inspire good driving habits more than the memory of an elephant.

What other jurisdictions found is that instead of picking the generally safe speeder going a wee bit over the limit, or sending out a photo-radar ticket after the affair, they looked for drivers that were out of the norm. Drivers that ran red or yellow lights, or who speed up and drove through lights. They changed traffic patterns, no left at the lights, all rights.
They insisted that all drivers be educated, for all conditions, not just pass a test.
All cars had to be inspected and ensured that they were road worthy. Only certain vehicles are allowed on certain roads. Imagine highways sans combines or slow rvs, or at least made to stay in the slow lane. Most fatalities happen on rural roads.
Your sisters accidents sounds like less of a speed issue than a driver not stopping at a marked stop sign. Or bothering to yield or even check for oncoming traffic. Again, I'm not privy to the details, but I can tell you that accidents are rarely the fault of one bad decision. It's normally a collection or stupid actions that have catastrophic results.
Roads are designed for certain speeds, the crown of the road, the curve, the shoulders are all factors in building a road and it shouldn't be restricted because of one accident. Again, most drivers regulate themselves. Polices should be looking for the abnormal behavior. Cyclists and pedestrians should have safe paths or roadside lanes.
The number 1 cause of all fatalities is... a full 1/3 of all fatalities, accidents, injuries are caused by cell phones.
1/4 are caused by speed. Drunks barely register anymore. But they make great headlines. In fact, there are probably more legally impaired people (legally medicated drivers) than drunks anymore.
The problem isn't that drivers speed. Most drivers are capable of safely driving to the conditions. Enforcing artificially set speed limits without fixing the inherent problems solves nothing. People will continue to drive what they perceive as safe, risking tickets. Better to fix the problems, letting traffic flow unimpeded.
Traffic issues affect us all, whether it be the efficiency of public transportation, safety of the roads or the needs of industry/business it's in our best interest to improve the situation. But betting on one sore point is not going to make things better.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 05:52 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
The number 1 cause of all fatalities is... a full 1/3 of all fatalities, accidents, injuries are caused by cell phones.

I find that hard to believe. (BTW, did you know that a full 65.4% of all statistics are made up?)

If a vehicle accident results in a fatality, does the presence of a cell phone in the car result in the conclusion that the accident was "caused" by the cell phone? Is there a distinction being made between drivers who are texting, and drivers who are merely talking? If someone is talking on a phone, how is the conclusion drawn that the phone conversation was the "cause" of the accident? How many accidents are "caused" by drivers talking with passengers?

Texting is a different story. I find it easy to believe that a high number of fatalities are the result of a driver texting at the time of the accident. It's not difficult to conclude that if a driver's attention was diverted from the road to the cell phone as they are typing a text, that they are not able to focus sufficiently on the road, and that could easily create a dangerous situation.
BillRM

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 07:12 am
@Ceili,
Quote:

Strange if true as then you would have expected not a steady liner downward trend in highways deaths that been happening over the decades but a very sharp increase as cell phones became common in society.

None repeat none of the curves show any sharp increase as cell phones became more and more common however.
0 Replies