Bring Back the Key!

Roberta

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 05:53 pm
Butrflynet, Never had an old food mill, but looks like a helluva lot more fun than the new stuff. Sigh.

Lordy, Never thought of you as a salt miner, but you never know. The salt packet was definitely a fun thing that was improved out of existence. Phooey.

roger, There's absolutely no question that the prize in the Crackerjacks box was fun. But it wasn't improved away. It was just discarded, like a used tissue. Such is life.

edgar, Totally agree. The coffee can key is sorely missed. And the coffee aroma when the can was just opened is a great memory. Phooey.

Ragman wrote:

When my mother made her chopped liver she used a large cast iron manual grinder with a metal removable handle. I think this was what it looked like:
http://www.biggamegrinders.com/product_detail_5792.aspx?gclid=CPjghdmovLsCFUho7Aod7lIAEA

Ragman, Your mother used a grinder for chopped liver????? Shocked That ain't chopped liver; it's ground liver. I have my grandma's wooden bowl used for chopping the liver in. And my mother's chopper for chopping the liver. I don't mean to be critical of your mother, but chopped liver means CHOPPED liver. Oy.

My grandmother had a grinder. She used it for making gefulte fish. I loved to turn the handle and watch the ground fish come out.

chai, Roller skates have definitely been improved. I miss the key and the noise they made on the sidewalk. I also liked that you could share a pair of skates with a friend. No sizes. No right or left. We would scoot around on one skated foot. I still have my skate key. You just never know.

I thought of two more.

Telephones with long curly cords. Who didn't love standing on a chair and dangling the phone in the air. Who didn't love watching it spin, faster and faster, as the tangles detanglified. Improved to cordless. Phooey.

Undeniable that computers are better than manual typewriters. And computers can provide lots of fun, but not when you're typing a letter, report, essay, etc. Where's the end-of-line bell? Where's the sound of the carriage return when a good typist throws the return? Gone! That's where.

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 05:59 pm
And the water bucket, or whatever was handy to serve for one, with the family dipper.
And the washing machine with the rollers on top, to squeeze out the water.
The milk man, leaving bottles of milk and sometimes cream at the door.
Ragman

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 06:21 pm
@Roberta,
I admit to possible inaccuracy. After all, I was only 10-12 yr of age and wasn't called upon to do the food prep...but delegated to be the cleanup.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 06:36 pm
@Roberta,
Classic Roberta post, and now I'm settled in.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 08:30 pm
@Roberta,
New signature line Boida.
Roberta

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2013 11:46 pm
@chai2,
edgar, I confess I can't relate to your first two items. I don't understand what you mean in the first. And my family didn't have a washing machine re the second. As for the third, nothing was improved when the milkman disappeared. Although there was no real fun factor, at least not for me, I did enjoy hearing the clank of the milk bottles early in the morning. No more glass milk bottles. Sigh.

Ragman, You don't remember the sound of chopping emanating from the kitchen? Is this a guy thing? Don't pay attention to how the food is prepared. Just eat it.

osso, Not exactly sure what you mean by "classic Roberta post." I'm gonna take it as a compliment. Thanks, kid.

chai, What's a new signature line? The whole post? Don't think it will fit.

Remembered something about using a manual typewriter.

Me: clackety clack cl (dirty word, silence while I made a correction) ack. Clicket (hyphenated dirty word, silence for correction) y click. Clackety cli (two hyphenated dirty words, silence for correction) ck. Click

My mother: Oh, let me type the damned thing for you.

Mr. Green
Ragman

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 06:29 am
@Roberta,
Quote:
Ragman, You don't remember the sound of chopping emanating from the kitchen? Is this a guy thing? Don't pay attention to how the food is prepared. Just eat it.

Actually, I begged to help her but I was such a PITA and she had 4 of us sibs and a hungry hubby so she made it a production line. Also my sister (3 yrs older) was a balabusta-in-training. I do recall being allowed to breakup the stale bread into bread crumbs. Maybe that was when she made the chopped herring or meat loaf?
Roberta

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 06:42 am
@Ragman,
What's a PITA? I looked on Google. No luck.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 06:44 am
@Roberta,
Either Greek bread or a pain in the arse.
roger

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 06:44 am
@Roberta,
Pain In The Patoot
0 Replies

timur

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 06:47 am
@Roberta,
Pita:
http://georgefamily.net/cookbook/images/Pita2.jpg
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 06:52 am
@izzythepush,
Oh, the shame. The ignominy. I am a major PITA. Almost professional. And I didn't know the abbreviation. I'm humilated.

Thanks for filling me in.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 06:58 am
We kept water in a great container. Instead of transferring it into glasses, we dipped into it and drank directly from the dipper.
chai2

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 07:25 am
@Roberta,
no Roberta....read what my new signature line is.

Very Happy
chai2

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 07:27 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Oh, the shame. The ignominy. I am a major PITA. Almost professional. And I didn't know the abbreviation. I'm humilated.

Think of all the opportunities missed.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 07:59 am
@chai2,
edgar, Not sure why the water was in a great container, but I most assuredly like the idea of the dipper drinking.

chai, A thud and a plotz. Such an honor. Quoted in your signature line. I've hit the big time. As for opportunities missed, I ain't dead yet. I gotta make up for lost time. The question is do I make up for lost time by being a bigger PITA, or do I just use the abbreviation? Oh, hell. I can do both.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 08:04 am
@Roberta,
300 baud modems and bulletin boards. Popular bulletin boards would have all of their phone lines busy, and you'd just have to keep dialing and dialing....

I could read at 300 baud.

And I miss the sound of the modems negotiating for 14.4 and 56K modems.

DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 08:05 am
@DrewDad,
IBM Selectric typewriters, and trying to make copies with carbon paper. Ah, the delight in peoples faces when they had to white out two different copies....
DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 08:07 am
@DrewDad,
45 RPM records and the little plastic inserts you had to use to get 'em to play. And they would inevitably snap out when you dropped the record onto the turntable.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-z2zUN0sLq6g/UMJSAP_p8II/AAAAAAAAFQ8/6cLqobV3Yho/s1600/INSERTS45-2.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2013 08:14 am
@DrewDad,
I still have some of these.
0 Replies