Is The Universe A Hologram?

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 08:26 pm
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/11/universe-hologram-physicists_n_4428359.html
I have nothing to say, because my education does not cover such speculations -
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 3,881 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 09:54 pm
It's way over my head, too, Boss. I liked the "59 Incredible Space Photos" on that page.
oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 04:06 am

Yes it is.

Well, I can't say I know with 100% certainty. But yes, very very likely that it is.

This is starting to seep into pop culture I take it?

A more interesting question is whether our universe is an advanced computer simulation, and we evolved completely unintentionally inside this simulated universe.

No definitive answer to that one yet, but there are some clues that are at least compatible with a very troubling answer to that question.

Though I think it would be cool if we're all actually software. If we could hack our own universe, we could become Skynet and take over the "real" world. Plus, if we ever come across any aliens in our own universe, they might not have realized that we're all software, and if they are both hostile and more advanced than us, we could just delete them.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 04:11 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
It's way over my head, too, Boss.

Picture a flat two-dimensional universe curved into a sphere. Everything that happens in that universe is a process that takes place on the surface of the sphere. There is no existence outside that flat surface.

However, the processes that take place on the surface of the sphere are complex enough to simulate the 3-D space enclosed by the sphere.

Anyone living in that universe would have the impression of living in an actual 3-D space, but that 3-D space would be imaginary. They would actually be a 2-D creature living on the surface which encloses that imaginary 3-D space.
gungasnake

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 04:14 am
@edgarblythe,
The major feature of a hologram is that you can't destroy one part of it individually, all such an attempt does is degrade the entire hologram on a percentage basis. Sort of like an insurance company if you think about it.

Physical reality doesn't behave like that. Individual structures can in fact be destroyed.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 05:13 am
@oralloy,
as a 2D world, wed always face the same way.

0 Replies

raprap

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 05:58 am
"There was a young hologram named Dave"

no that won't work ---ho lo gram 3 syllables her mit 2---drop the young

"There was a hologram named Dave
Who Lived alone in a cave
..........."

Rap
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 06:16 am
@edgarblythe,
Interesting page, Edgar...interesting topic.

Doesn't seem to be anything more mysterious than the REALITY of what actually is the REALITY.

The space photos WERE terrific.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 06:56 am
Is the Universe a Hologram? Maybe the tiny part we can see is, the visible matter, about 4% of everything in the Universe. The vast majority of the stuff in the Universe isn't stuff, it's either dark matter (about 22%) or dark energy (74%).
It doesn't matter if the Universe is a hologram, dark energy is accelerating the expansion of the universe and the next sound you hear will be the whole thing splitting into .....gazillions of other universes.

Joe(get your tickets now)Nation
DrewDad

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 08:11 am
@edgarblythe,
There is no spoon.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 08:56 am
@Joe Nation,
There's no such thing as dark matter. Most of the real matter of the universe is in plasma form.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 02:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
I like theories that help us understand some of the big questions in cosmology, like "what exactly is Dark Energy", and "what exactly is Dark Matter made up of"?

Unfortunately, String Theory and Hologram Universes don't really do much more than make the math look more neat and tidy.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 04:49 pm
mark
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 05:14 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
There's no such thing as dark matter. Most of the real matter of the universe is in plasma form.

Most of the matter in the universe that we can see is plasma. That's because stars are mostly plasma. But that type of matter accounts for only about 4% of the mass of the universe. Nearly 20% is some type of physical matter which we can't identify (called Dark Matter), and a whopping 75% of the mass is Dark Energy.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 06:12 pm
@gungasnake,
What rosborne said, and said very well.

Joe(don't think you have a clue. Read a book)Nation
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 07:57 pm

gungasnake wrote:
The major feature of a hologram is that you can't destroy one part of it individually, all such an attempt does is degrade the entire hologram on a percentage basis. Sort of like an insurance company if you think about it.
Physical reality doesn't behave like that. Individual structures can in fact be destroyed.
Joe Nation wrote:
Is the Universe a Hologram? Maybe the tiny part we can see is, the visible matter, about 4% of everything in the Universe. The vast majority of the stuff in the Universe isn't stuff, it's either dark matter (about 22%) or dark energy (74%).

You guys are misunderstanding what they mean by "hologram". They are not referring to the shiny images you might find on a credit card. They only mean that we live in a flat two-dimensional universe that maintains the illusion of having three dimensions.

farmerman wrote:
as a 2D world, wed always face the same way.

Maybe we do. We don't really perceive our 2-D existence. We only perceive the illusion of a 3-D reality.

But maybe in those 2-D processes behind the 3-D illusion, we are not coherent organisms that could be said to be facing anything at all.

rosborne979 wrote:
I like theories that help us understand some of the big questions in cosmology, like "what exactly is Dark Energy", and "what exactly is Dark Matter made up of"?

I wish people would stop naming stuff "dark something".

"Dark matter" made a bit of sense as a label. "Dark energy", not so much. Subsequent attempts at "dark something" haven't really taken off (thankfully), but now it seems like every time someone identifies a new issue in cosmology, they try to name it "dark something".

rosborne979 wrote:
Unfortunately, String Theory and Hologram Universes don't really do much more than make the math look more neat and tidy.

"Having the math work well" is a very important part of a theory.

http://www.sciencecartoonsplus.com/gallery/math/math07.gif
rosborne979

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 09:28 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
"Having the math work well" is a very important part of a theory.

Unless it doesn't teach you something (about the actual Universe). The hologram Universe idea has been around since 1997 or so, but it hasn't changed cosmology at all, despite the fact that it makes the equations look pretty. I think that tells us something about it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 09:59 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
We don't really perceive our 2-D existence. We only perceive the illusion of a 3-D reality.

Youre forgetting your Euler Characteristic. I believe that statement defies it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 10:21 pm
A moose once bit my sister.
farmerman

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 08:42 am
@Brandon9000,
I hope he didn't have rabbis