Space - What is Out There?

rosborne979

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 01:30 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
If we mine and refine, the best thing is to refine the more common metals because, if we started mining and refining stuff like gold r platinum, the values of those noble metals will plummet when the supply goes to some percentage of the present reserves.

That's entirely correct, but it's also inevitable that someone will do it if it can be done in a cost effective way.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 01:33 pm
@Setanta,
Yes, that's a good propulsion/materials-delivery method as well. I can see lots of ways in which asteroid mining could result in a number of advances for human space exploration.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 08:39 pm
@Brandon9000,
From our human perspective it certainly seems far more than likely that there is life in the universe beyond that which exists on earth, but probability is not a rendering of actuality.

Personally, I do think that life is not limited to earth, but in a universe of near infinite possibilites, virtually anything is possible...including the earth being the lone bastion of life in the universe.

A child falls out of a third story window and is caught and saved by a man who years later has a grandchild fall out of a window and saved by a passerby.

The members of a church choir who religiously meet every Thursday night for practice all have a reason to skip practice one Thursday night. The night when the church's boiler explodes and anyone within it would have died.

We see these events as part of some sort of plan or the result of divine inteference, but in a universe of near infinite possibilities, such remarkable coincidents are easily explained by math.

Since the universe offers no reliance on anything we might think has to be, life throughout the universe is hardly a given.

As for the similarity of extra-terrestial life to life on earth, right now the overwhelming prevailing theory is that what we know as physics is a universal constant.

There is at least one certain function that all life must find a way to deal with: absorbtion and internal conversion of external energy.

To a lesser extent we can expect that life elsewhere must also find a physical response to biological imperatives of reproduction, and locomotion.

Life on earth has found two responses to the former and numerous responses to the latter.

On an earth-like planet, physics will limit the available solutions to the primary and secondary requirements of life.

Evolution on earth has not had anywhere near an infinite selection of responses from which to choose, and neither will life on an earth-like planet.

It is, of course possible that there is "life" on planets very much unlike earth that we will have difficulty recognizing (the "life as we know it" concept), but it's difficult to imagine that any life with which we have virtually nothing in common, will be anything other than a curiosity to encounter.

Should we ever find life on earth-like planets, my bet is that it will far more similar to life on earth than is generally supposed. Single cell life on earth, Mars or Planet 9 is not going to be drastically different; nor will whatever respective steps up the evolutionary ladder extra-terrestial life may take.

0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 09:47 pm
The forms of life on Earth cover a very wide spectrum, and that is with a common ancestor under similar conditions.
Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 12:00 am
Life on earth exists in rivers beneath the ice of Antarctica. Life on earth exists in the steam vents of hot springs in Yosemite National Park. Life exists in the vents on the floor of the ocean. Life is so ubiquitous on earth, and the components of life are so common off the earth, that the probability of life elsewhere approaches one on the order of .999999999 . . . etc.

I don't believe the topic of this thread is whether or not there is life elsewhere in the cosmos, other than tangentially. However, i believe i am correct in saying that when it has been brought up in this thread, it has been in the context of intelligent, self-aware, civilized life. That's an entirely different can of worms.
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 05:51 am
@Setanta,
if life on another planet is carbon based, and develops bilateral symmetry, all the rest is a breeze to evolve(sensory tissues, single or double "Tubed" ingestion, excretion systems, and appendages ).
Convergence is run amuk or amok, whatever
Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 06:06 am
@farmerman,
Ah, but will they have SUVs?
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 06:36 am
You might get a cluster of sensory organs near the highest point. I can see that as being common.
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 06:40 am
@Setanta,
heres the deal. Either its SUV's or BACON, cant have both
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 06:42 am
@Brandon9000,
sensory organs start out as tissue. When they migrate to one spot, you get bilateral symmetry for the statistically largest numbers.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2013 12:02 am
@Brandon9000,
Yes, if you are discussing the entire range from most simple to most complex. This doesn't imply that there should be at least an equally wide spectrum of life form at each "level" of complexity when comparing life on earth and an earth-like planet.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2013 03:34 am
@farmerman,
I'll go with bacon.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2013 03:50 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Life on earth exists in rivers beneath the ice of Antarctica. Life on earth exists in the steam vents of hot springs in Yosemite National Park. Life exists in the vents on the floor of the ocean. Life is so ubiquitous on earth, and the components of life are so common off the earth, that the probability of life elsewhere approaches one on the order of .999999999 . . . etc.

I don't believe the topic of this thread is whether or not there is life elsewhere in the cosmos, other than tangentially. However, i believe i am correct in saying that when it has been brought up in this thread, it has been in the context of intelligent, self-aware, civilized life.
YOU favor life that is CIVIL.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2013 04:08 am
Yeah, you know . . . like a society that isn't hag-ridden by lunatics with firearms . . . or worse yet, criminals with firearms.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2013 04:10 am
What's the matter, I'm Sick, have you missed me--just because i've had the good sense not to waste my time on your idiocy? If you tout being civil so much, perhaps you'll be civil enough not to trash this thread with your stupid attempts to start a fight.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 01:27 pm
http://cdn.themetapicture.com/media/cool-Space-Telescope-camera-sky-earth-Hubble.jpg
http://cdn.themetapicture.com/media/cool-Space-Telescope-camera-sky-earth-moon.jpg
http://cdn.themetapicture.com/media/cool-Space-Telescope-camera-sky-earth-Milky-Way.jpg
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 01:33 pm
Interesting site on the scale of the universe.
http://www.htwins.net/scale2/
farmerman

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 02:54 pm
@panzade,
Holy **** that was sensory overload.

panzade

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 03:11 pm
@farmerman,
I know, right?
Ragman

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2014 03:21 pm
@panzade,
I thought I was pretty insignificant before I saw that.
0 Replies