Our six year old Vizsla may have a health problem

Ragman

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 10:30 am
@glitterbag,
My sincerest sympathy on your loss. We sure do love them pooches. I'm sure that you loved and took the best care of your pooch anyone could. May she rest in peace.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 10:53 am
@glitterbag,
So sorry to read about Sophie, but ... so glad she was home with you. I think that is best (if possible). Being home, being loved, not stressed, mom nearby humming.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 11:21 am
@glitterbag,
very sorry glitter. 8 years is entirely too young
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 02:04 pm
@glitterbag,
I'm so very sorry you have lost Sophie, glitter.

All of the veterinary care and attention you gave her since starting this thread apparently allowed her to do well for the past two years, which was really a wonderful gift of quality time you were able to share with her. While the end was unexpected, and quick, it was merciful in its own way, including the fact she was at home with you near her.

These endings, when we lose our beloved dogs, are so damn painful. You have my heartfelt and sincere sympathy.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 03:46 pm
I want to thank Ragman, ehbeth, farmerman and firefly for posting such lovely comfortings words on my Sophie thread. I would have wished she had more years with us, but I'm grateful that it was so quick and she didn't suffer. I've owned dogs all my life, and even though they are stoic, I'm a pretty good judge of my dogs well-being. I've nursed dogs and cats thru painful illnesses, and we decided we would never prolong a pet's agony for selfish reasons. Her life was short, she was feisty, playfull and happy until 12:45 Monday, and she departed peacefully just short of 3 PM. She was a doll, she provided a ton of fun in 8 short years. Thank you all.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 10:40 pm
I realize my thread was started about 2 years ago, and I stopped adding to it when Sophie evened out and the threat was lifted. I hoped I mentioned how soothing it was to hear everyone who sent me kind words, our loss just hit out of the blue and I am so grateful to everyone who followed our journey with Sophie. Was so worried about how our almost 5 year old grand daughter would react, but our son called tonight to tell us he had broken the news to Gia, and I asked how did she handle it, and he said "like a champ". She's very young, which I'm grateful for, and when she asked her Dad if Sophie was in doggy heaven, he told her yes, the next thing she asked was "is grandma going to get another dog?", I was so happy, she too young to be sobbing over the loss, (not me I'm going to sob over the loss) we have Sophie's younger sister, Ruby, so we
didn't become empty nesters. Please don't think I mean it's alright, our hearts
are cracked again. I'm just so happy she didn't suffer, it happened too fast.

I must admit my mood is shifting back and forth, and I hope I didn't forget to
mention any of my old compadres and the sweet thoughts they sent our way. I know a2k is not always friendly, but we do pull together when we know someone needs support. And that makes this a solid forum, no matter what, we will have each other's back. I hope I was clear on how much you all mean to me, we can diddle on about some crazy thing, but we do rally when we know we should rally. Thanks to everyone sincerely, I'm (actually we) we are going to miss her like crazy, but it's so comforting that my friends here understand this type of loss.

Thanks again to all the kind people of A2K who have loved and lost our furry companions. You make me feel warm and knowing that you all understand is a wonderful perk. Thanks once again, glitterbag

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2016 10:58 pm
People were good to me here when I had dear dogs, and later when they passed.

As you know, glitter, I had met a vizsla once or maybe twice (client). Kickster, she was.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2016 12:13 am
@ossobuco,
I do remember, but I need to regroup, rest a little and then return.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2016 09:31 pm
Virginia Tech sent us results of the examination of the tissue samples. What Sophie died from was a sarcoma on her heart, that somehow affected her blood system creating clots. Dr. Reed said that there were no indications of cancer in all of her examinations, and although rare even if they had discovered it, the surgery would have been complicated and likely she would have to be on chemo and probably wouldn't make it another year.

As most of you know, all you dog people out there, I really wish I still had her with us, but I'm so grateful she didn't suffer. She was a sweet and devilish dog, we will miss her, but I'm so grateful we had the pleasure of her company for 8 years and 4 months.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2016 10:11 pm
I am sorry to read such news. As you say, at least you knew her more than eight years and she did not suffer.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2016 10:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
thank you edgar, we've always been vigilant about our dogs health. She seemed to really enjoy herself the last years, very playful seemed very happy and got into a lot of trouble. She was a pick pocket, a food thief, and while we had her she has eaten packages of yeast, hormones, a few prescription meds because she likes to chew the plastic bottles. Th Vets office starts to laugh when I call in with my concerns. But they have been lovely thru this, our Vet is incredibly compassionate, and although I'm horrified that she had that tumor on her heart, I ache because she's gone, but I'm so grateful she didn't suffer. She had the most peaceful exit I have ever witnessed.
0 Replies