GOOD BUY OR NOT?

Misti26

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 05:54 pm
I was shopping today and ran across the following. I would like to know if you think it's a good buy or not. Thanks, I appreciate your input.

HP PAVILLION desktop PC Model 533w

Includes:

HP Deskjet 3320v color printer with 6 foot USB cable included
HP v70s 17-inch color monitor (15.9 inch viewable)
Polk Audio Stereo Speakers
HP Keyboard
HP Mouse

Intel Celeron Processor 2.0 GHz
60 GB Hard Drive
HP CDRW/DVD-ROM combo drive
256MB DDR SDRAM memory with up to 64MB allocated to video memory

Price: $698.00
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,722 • Replies: 12
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 06:27 pm
I'm not a fan of the HP's but it does appear to be a pretty good price for that model.

Best Buy is selling the HP 513n (a Celeron 1.8GHz machine but otherwise the same) for $629 but that's without the printer and monitor.
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11183749&m=0&cat=0&scat=0
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 07:08 pm
misti, I agree with fishin' that's a pretty good price for a perfectly adequate machine. I'm not a big HP fan for Computers or Cameras, but I do like their Scanners and Printers. I would say a machine such as your example would be a good buy for a typical Computer User, and should provide at least a few years of satisfactory service. A rabid Gamer or a driven Media Manipulator might not be served by such a machine, but it would be more than up to less fussy requirements. Go for it, particularly if its replacing a machine already a few years old. You likely won't regret it.

timber
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 08:11 pm
Fishin and Timber, thank you. I thought it was a pretty good deal myself, since I have been checking around price-wise and system wise.

The computer I have is 4 years old, it's a Compaq, and I take good care of it. But it's got a 4GB HD, a little too small and very little memory.

This is the best deal I've seen so far. Gateway advertises a $399 price, after $100 rebate, however, the HD is 30 GB, 128 RAM, no monitor and no printer included.

I thought I would throw this out to you computer whizzes to get your input, and I'm seriously thinking of going for this one.

Thanks again.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 08:33 pm
Just a further observation misti, HP is gonna be around for a long time. Gateway's future is a tad iffy.

timber
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 09:01 pm
Timber, I didn't know that ... I would have thought Gateway was stable.

Did HP merge with Compaq? It's seems like a dream I heard that somewhere.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 09:21 pm
I personally like Dell they have some great prices right now and some free shipping. Dell is all I buy at work and home unless I'm making one from scratch.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 09:23 pm
Dell website for home use
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 09:26 pm
Dell as you have seen on TV
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 09:35 pm
Husker, I've been searching the Dell/Gateway sites for deals, but haven't seen one as good as this.

I have a Dell at work, I'm not real impressed with it. However, the PC at work is a small HD, 9GB's and small memory too.

Thanks for the site and the info.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 09:37 pm
Misti
9GB hardrive that must be a 350mhz machine.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 09:41 pm
Misti, HP and Compaq merged, in what amounted to a takeover of Compaq by HP. Gateway has been afflicted with shrinking market share and dwindling stock value for some time. One of my machines is a recent fairly "Big Gun" Dell, and I am pleased with it. I have a '99 Compaq as well, which has been upgraded with about any component that will mount or plug in. I hate Compaq's Presario machines, tho their Proliant commercial-grade machines seem fine. My primary machine is a "Homebuilt".

timber
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 09:59 pm
Compaq Presario, that's what I have now, and it has served me well, but then again, I take good care of it.

It was a good starter computer for me, I learned a lot from it and now I know what I want.

However, that said, I've heard if you have to have a Compaq repaired, you HAVE to take it to a Compaq dealer and they charge a lot. I've never had to do that, so it's all heresay.

I didn't have a clue when I bought this Compaq, didn't even know what a HD was, so it truly has been a good learning experience.
0 Replies